Topic: Refinishing Problem

I recently sanded down a Gibson LP Special, Factory Faded Worn finish,to the wood in some places but not totally, then upon spraying it with a  black Laquer, it began to lightly roughen up. I realize you don't spray Laquer over Enamal, but I assumed Gibson hadn't used any Enamal on it, what happened ? Any help will be greatly appreciated and simplify it please, the whole Nitro, or Poly , etc...stuff totally looses me. Thanks,  FiveO

Re: Refinishing Problem

Hi FiveO, there are no easy rules to paints and sometimes one finish ontop of another just reacts giving a bad finish. The moral of the story is always to strip back to clean wood.

Nitrocellulose will be on older (pre-80s) guitars or high spec/relic instruments today. Nitro responds to paint-stripper and sands off easy. Polyester/Polyurethane is much tougher and needs a heat gun to remove. No idea what Gibson's faded/worn finishes are but they always appear to cut the cost of an intrument.

Also when you sand a finish back you often work it deep into the wood grain. How about lightly using stripper and sandpaper to remove the botched coat and then get a road worn 'relic' finish by applying antique wax?

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Thanks for the advice, it makes sense and I think it'll help.  Thanks, FiveO

4 (edited by dino48 2008-06-02 05:23:39)

Hi five0 ,I wish I knew the perfect answer too your problem but I dont,I would check a local guitar store,furniture refinishers,wood shop teachers at high schools.I have painted several show cars.All came out good.But I have never painted a guitar.Did you wash it before you painted?If not you may have sanded some wax into the wood.Did you prime paint serface before applying finish color paint?

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

No I didn't Prime it, I assumed since it was only down to the bare wood in places that I would be OK to just spray the finish coat, esp since it was black , I wasn't too concerned about it not  covering well. I had wet sanded it with 800 grit and had a nice smooth surface. I was going for a high gloss finish rather than the old faded worn from Gibson. It obviously reacted weird  though, not actually bubbleing up but dried to a rough texture ?? I guess now I'll have to sand it all the way down to the wood and go at it again, maybe it'll be worth it. Thanks for your interest..... FiveO

FiveO wrote:

No I didn't Prime it, I assumed since it was only down to the bare wood in places that I would be OK to just spray the finish coat, esp since it was black , I wasn't too concerned about it not  covering well. I had wet sanded it with 800 grit and had a nice smooth surface. I was going for a high gloss finish rather than the old faded worn from Gibson. It obviously reacted weird  though, not actually bubbleing up but dried to a rough texture ?? I guess now I'll have to sand it all the way down to the wood and go at it again, maybe it'll be worth it. Thanks for your interest..... FiveO

Five-O,

If you sand down to bare wood do not use any sand paper heavier than a 220 grit and use a sanding block or a flat piece of wood to sand.  It will give you an even surface with out any indentations or valleys after your done. Buy yourself a can of stewmac's water base grain filler and reseal the grain. Sand back the filler a bit than paint it with what color paint your going to use. If you do not use a grain filler/sealer the wood will soak up paint and or stain plus varnish (poly lacquer, nitro or hand rubbed oil finish, tru oil or tung oil, linseed ect, ect, ect) like a sponge. Make sure the paint your using is compatable with the finsh your going to use otherwise you will get more experience in finishing again.:)

Bootlegger.

Thanks Bootlegger for chiming in, I always appreciate your opinion and advice....Good to hear from you !....FiveO