Topic: ATTACK OF THE KILLER VIRUS

theres a first time for everything and my pc was invaded by malware that shut down everything,the programs loaded and the IE was connected everything looked normal but when I tried to open outlook express it froze and I tried everything to shut down the pc.finely when all options were tried i pulled the plug out of the wall,that is not a recomended course  of action but I had no choice so I rebooted and eveything LOOKED normal but no response i tried to run a scan with my trusty prevx 2 but it froze solid so out with the plug again after more then 2 hours of trying differn't things I discovered one program that worked my c cleaner so I had it do a scan on the registry and it found over 60 megabytes of files that were left over from 2 programs i deleted so i had it "fix the issues" and I had partial control so I went hunting for the bug and I found it in the program files of the hard drive, it was a alien screen to me and 1 small slip and I would be dead in the water after deleteting the file i tried to have the recycle bin delete it from my computer but it froze like the heart of an old maid so.... pull the plug! and reboot and after it fired up I remembered that one of the funtions of the c cleaner was to empty the recycle bin so I executed a virus with no mercy and everything is running smooth now,I learned a lot in those 2 hrs and after I had my prevx  do a compleat scan of every file all 125,000 and its as clean as a whistle so if this happens to you dont panic you do have some choices you can probe or call the pc repair I didn't have a spare $100.00 to have someone fix the problem or I would have left it to the pros whew what a ride! smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: ATTACK OF THE KILLER VIRUS

Hi Russ,

I am pleased you were able to exterminate your invader. I guess the moral of this tales is to regularly check your PC for malware.

Maybe I am more cautious than most but I check for viruses, spyware etc every other day and defrag my hard drives at the same time. Touch wood, I have not had the experience that you have.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

roger all of this happened after I defraged I defrag usually 2 times a week and the prevx has been very reliable I think all the residual files left over in the registry from me deleting two programs I seldom use were the core of the problem and I agree with all the steps you advise Im just relieved its over and I can get back to  work with my music the pc is a very important link in the chain as all the final editing is through the pc and uploading the mp3 files would be impossible without a smooth running pc smile

ITS BACK! I have partial control, the internet and my c cleaner are all that works.I cant open any files my outlook express freezes and I cant access my control panel,this just happend 2 hrs ago a pc expert is going to call me in about 1 hr and try and walk me through this latest hassel just think, the internet without me! (I can hear some of you yelling "yippe") but as arnold the swarzch says "OL be bach" keep you posted when the problem is cleared up smile

Sometimes when they come back its because they are embedded in your system restore points....You can delete your restore points then clean your system..I had a problem a few years ago and that was why it kept coming back...Im no computer genius now but you might look at that as an option if it continues...

6 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-06-08 00:05:17)

that makes sense do i try and set the restore date earlier oh i understand delete the restore points aha i will give it a wack smile

Im not sure what I did but i think it worked i have total control over my pc i turnned off the automatic updates and set it on dont download or install notifie me first and i am the man in  charge of this droid till another bug comes along thanks riddler for the info it must have helped and i dont know what i did so next time i have a problem im stymied with i will dial you up and slay the beast lol

Your Welcome...Im glad it helped...

well that was cleared up but yesterday we had a storm come thrugh that fried my modem the lightning strike burrned out my IE connection and I was down for the whole day and this morning I had to drive 50 miles to get a replacement (free) from road runner it is a new design and i am back on line i was forced to watch tv! something i rarely do and i did get some time to run over some chords to a new song so it worked out ok, anybody else have problems with the weather? I know a few hundred people in wisconsin had the same thing happen to them so im not alone at least its over and I can get back to normal ")