Topic: newbie to power chords

Just learned the joy of power chords and was wondering about some songs that make use fo power chords ( for a beginner)

Re: newbie to power chords

hey u know whats fun? Takin a song that uses normal chords, and revamping it for power chords. Its alot of fun and can be hilarious big_smile

All You Need is Love smile

Smoke on the Water, Iron Man, Heat of the Moment, Cocaine, Back in Black, Sunshine of Your Love, Lonely is the Night, Baba O'Reilly (Teenage Wasteland), Round 'N Round, Bang Your Head (Metal Health), Slow Ride, Come On Feel the Noise, No One Like You, Rock You Like a Hurricane, Dani California, Blue Collar Man (Long Nights), and these are most of the ones I know.  Of course, pretty much any style of rythym guitar will use power chords, so check out rythym parts to some songs from bands like AC/DC and Lynyrd Skynyrd.  All the ones I mentioned above are probably playable for a begginer.  Good luck!

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

iron lion zion - bob marley
under the bridge - RHCP
TNT - AC/DC

that are the songs that i know i learned those on guitar lesson but they are pretty easy so good luck;)

plays: Ibanez arx 120bx electric guitar , Fender CD60 steelstring

paul

Powerchords are great ... I love them smile ... for songs there are alot of bands that use them for rhythm (which I primarily play) ... ACDC, GreenDay, Social Distortion, The Scorpions, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest are good places to start

My first song I learned was Living After Midnight by Judas Priest and Rock You Like A Hurricane by The Scorpions

GreenDay can be a little tricky (the tempos are usually fast and quick moving) ...Priest and Social Distortion are great ... not to fast on the changes but they sound GREAT if you have a Les Paul

Last_Rebel

That IS fun!  I've done that on some songs that arent necessarily "powerchord'ed" ... A few weeks ago I heard the song The Seeker from The Who and gave it a go with powerchord formations and it actually sounded BRILLIANT tongue

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

6 (edited by Siege of Troy 2008-06-06 04:08:44)

Tim0473: When I was gigging with my metal band, we did a cover of The Beatles "Hey Jude", with power chords, we did the beginning with keyboards and an electric guitar run through an acoustic simulator, but from the second verse on, the rhythm guitarist used power chords, and I did some arpeggio sweep picking and heavy rock solo riffing on top of them, sounded really epic, especially toward the end of the song you know, that long outro "na na na nanananaaaaa nananana hey Jude".... Wish we had filmed it, cause an older guy in the audience said he liked it better than the original...

Wow that's pretty sweet ... I wish you would have had a video too ... that would have been awesome ... especially since a buddie of mine is such a Beatles nut he would have liked it ... you wouldn't happen to have it tabbed would you?  lol

I can call my old band buddies and see if any of em have the tab. I'm sure one of us has it...or at least it's in the ol band notebook.

That'd be awesome if you could grab it bro ... I'd really like to give it a try

Made Up Stories:Go:Audio
the version ive got uses powerchords

I like cheese:P
               And Paramore:cool:
               And my guitar:D

smells like teen spirit was my first power chord jam.

yesterday is the past
tomorrow a dream
today you find out
what is best left unseen