Topic: im stuck in a deep rut. dont even feel like playing. any help please?

i dont know whats wrong with me but i need some help.been playing for about two and a half years. it might be that my song vocabulary isnt particularly strong. i have really just been practicing my (how do you spell teknique) anyways im sure any advice at all will be helpfull.please help me. i want that feeling back.

yesterday is the past
tomorrow a dream
today you find out
what is best left unseen

Re: im stuck in a deep rut. dont even feel like playing. any help please?

You could try changin the style of music your playin and set yourself a new challenge, I've been the same and started playin stuff that wasn't in my comfort zone... It opened up whole new horizons to me. I hope this will help smile

I agree with Binman, you need to do something different. Branching out and expanding your song style repertoire is one thing you could do. You could also go to the new Theory section and practice at what Jerome has been showing us there. You could try writing your own songs and posting them in the Songwriting section for everyone else to enjoy. Recording the songs you know is also a fun thing to do and a very good way of checking and improving your technique.

Just some ideas to try,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Technique.

dont worry to much every musician hits that wall more then once and the above suggestions can help,if it were me id find a babe take her out and have a little diversion your technique will not suffer and sometimes you just have to take a break the fact that your posting your delema indicates you need one have some fun put a little joy in your life it will reflect in your renewed attitude toward practice remember music is supposed to be FUN not a sentence lighten up on yourself enjoy laugh get laid smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I'm not stuck in a rut, but  I'm gonna take Russells advice,Then I'm gonna come home and play the livin heck outa my guitar.

Later Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

i guess i did sound kinda cheesy. probly wont get laid but im still gonna get jacked up. thanks for the advice.really helped.

yesterday is the past
tomorrow a dream
today you find out
what is best left unseen

Everyone experiences that. Jamming with someone different always gets me out of it.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I have not had that problem in a long time, but new strings and working out a new song has always done it for me in the past

what a long strange trip it's been

Don't even feel like playing?!?!
That has to be bad...
I always feel like playing, nomatter what.

All I know is I feel better when I sing.
Burdens are lifted from me.
That's my voice rising.

drugs is the devil wrote:

i dont know whats wrong with me but i need some help.been playing for about two and a half years. it might be that my song vocabulary isnt particularly strong. i have really just been practicing my (how do you spell teknique) anyways im sure any advice at all will be helpfull.please help me. i want that feeling back.

I like to keep an audio library of my playing. When I feel as though I'm not improving, I'll bust out some of the tapes from the earlier days. You'll be amazed at how much progress you actually make. Even if one's chord base or scale execution hasn't expanded, the technique of what one knows and how one plays is greatly improved..............Hang in there, don't let it get the best of you. There are also tons and tons of free instruction on-line. Here's a good one for starters;

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/AA-000-LessonIndex.php

Give everything but up.

I have two tips:

Mess around with open g tuning for a while and do some stones and punk - its easy to sound great!
Listen to Joe Bonamassa "Blues Deluxe" for inspiration
!

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

When I hit those spots. I start messing with another instrument piano, banjo, harmonica, bass, ect. It makes me a better musician and helps me walk away for a while without walking away from music. It's like leaving the room without running away from home. You'll know when it's time to come back and I'll bet you'll be better than ever.

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm

Sometimes it's like cheryl crow said...

" I think a change...will do you good"

It's true, sometimes you just need to be around different people with different outlooks and/or different musical styles. Sometimes it takes an instrument change.

I'll tell you a little of my experience...

When I got my guitar I only listened to Tool, NIN, Filter, STP, Pearl Jam, Nirvana and other common 90s bands. I started out playing in Dropped-D cause all my favorite bands at the time played in that tuning. I quickly ran into the wall of finding out that ALL music can't be played on the lower 3 strings of the guitar. I quickly lost hope and faith in my ability and stopped playing for about a month. My beautiful silverburst sat in the corner staring at me and the guilt was eating me alive. I wanted to play...but couldn't get anything but that grungy dark sound.

It was then that I realized I HAD to make a change. I couldn't do it on my electric guitar...I had to start fresh with a new guitar. And I had to start from the basics.
I got on Craigslist and did a local search for a cheap (REAL CHEAP) guitar and I found my $20 yamaha fg-403s. I committed myself to learning open chords, barre chords and all of the notes, scales and chords associated with "Standard" tuning.

Since that day, I've been inspired and I'm creating my own songs instead of playing other people's songs all the time. I've never felt so alive and creative and all I had to do was step out of what I knew and was comfortable with and struggle a little. Yes, it was hard...it's still hard to this day because it's the unknown. But I now have REAL callouses, I can play REAL chords, I can write my own songs, I can play so many different variants of chords that I never would have know existed if I'd have stayed playing in Dropped-D and doing the same things all the time.

Try a change, I promise you won't regret it...

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

southpaw the link you posted was very helpful for me. thankyou so much!

when i get stuck in a rut i play the very first song i learn to play, the song that taught me guitar

the secret to happiness is contained in a guitar