Topic: MIA ?

Let's start a little mischief about this Made in America thing.

"Why would a guitar MIA be better than one made anywhere else?"

Discuss?

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

Re: MIA ?

My three guitars, including my Fender, are all made in Korea they all play and sound great and to me, playability and tone are important, not where it was manufactured.

I had a chance to handle a 70's Korean made Fender the other day and I have to say that I put it down very quickly the action was torture and it was not well made at all so maybe the early ones were bad but, in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with them now and being made out of America keeps the price down.

China too is begining to put out some reasonable priced well made guitars, I have my eye on a Chinese Ovation copy at my friend's shop that gets an airing each time I visit.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I will chime in with my standard so-1 it looks exactally like a stratocaster and the intonation and fretboard action are to my standards, it was  made in china and i have played mia's fenders and there is no difference. most or all of the parts for mia's are not made in the usa so what is?

"Growing old is not for sissies"

The main advantage of having a MIA guitar is resale value. They appreciate in value if left original. I've played/owned both MIA and foreign made instruments. My 3 MIA instruments are absolute gems, I wouldn't trade them for anything. My primary working guitars though are foreign made. They get the job done. Too many people put too much emphasis on the machine over the man. Find an instrument that sounds good, feels good, fits your budget, and don't worry about the label gazers.................

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Southpaw ,
   Ya took the words right out of my mouth ........
   I've played hundred and fifty dollar guitars that played and sounded every bit as good as my expensive ones . Heck , they even looked nice .......
    My primary workhorse is a made in Korea copy of a Gib 330 . Let me tell you , I don't leave home without it ........

Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Now we're talking .. will anyone step up to defend the MIA. Myth or magic?

Just as a guideline - I recently bought an Squire Affinity Telecaster for 170 Euro to use for open G work. The MIA fender model is times 10 - yes times 10 the price. The Affinity is made in China. I can't find a thing wrong with it. Even if the pickups are cheap - I could change them and still have money to spare - but they are OK.

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

This is an "eternal discussion", some people are more positive about a MIM others about a MIA
I have only thing to say: I believe that FENDER USA has some lower priced guitars like the Highway series and my humble opinion is that a more expensive Mexican FENDER will sound better than a Highway 1.
Have you noticed how many DIFFERENT FENDER STRATOCASTERS ARE MADE? you need a week in a music store to compare all the models: Beck, Clapton, Johnson, Rory Gallagher, Knopfler, Malmsteen, Buddy Guy, Jimmy Vaughn, SRV, Robert Cray ADD the Standard Fenders, the relic Fenders, the Custom made, the vintage strats, classic player AND THAN you start again with all the Mexican models.
It is ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND A FENDER IN THE FENDER WOOD.
TOO MUCH = TOO MUCH
I was told that you can hear difference with an amp using the CLEAN SOUND, but once you start with an effect board? ......IS IT STILL POSSIBLE TO HEAR THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MIM and MIA using effects like distortion?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

so- its more to do with marketing than with manufacture?

I think the MIA hype comes from the american made companys like Martin & Gibson. If you go back in time a bit and look at it, There used to be pretty much either a Gibson or a Martin for a quality guitar. Both of those being american made. Then we get to the late 60's and an onslaught of cheap japanese/Chinese/Korean imported copys. While some of these turned out to be jems the majority were very poor quality and thus everyone began to associate poor quality with imports. They were labeled as cheap rip offs. A few of these imports established a name for themselves and live on today (Ibanez, Takamine,etc...) Then Gibson started contracting out epiphones to japan in the early 70's and the first few runs of these really lacked in quality control. A few would be good and them some would be total trash (more bad karma for imports). Then Martin followed suit with the Sigma line... It was just common practice that the higher end guitars were made in america and the cheaper models were done over seas due to the cheaper labor costs. So that's what everyone believed. Not to say that all american guitars are better. Martin had a bad run of incosistency in the 70's. Even today a comparable model 70's martin will not bring the money of an 80's model, usually. Gibson in the last 10 years has really fallen behind on their consistency as well. It's a gamble if you order one unplayed.. I think we are starting to come around though. Canada has really established itself in the guitar world as a force to be reconed with and more and more quality is starting to come from over seas (Blueridge,Morgan Monroe,The new Masterbuilts from epiphone,etc..) I'd say that in general more quality comes from america and canada at the moment but I'll grant that their are some very good imports out there as well. Just my .02  Peace! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I take your point - but I think you are talking mainly acoustics there - and the more care and attention, skill and experience taken by the luthier the better the result. However in the electric guitar class - is there anything to be said about MIA that could justify the 10x price hike?

Perhaps a MIA Fender is more to do with desire than with value? After all most artist endorsements of name guitars are (probably) given with several free guitars - so they don't care about the price! But it does have the effect of associating fantastic skill with a brand name.

I,ve yet to hear defense of MIA! Come on ....

well I was made in america lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

... but not out of wood!

Looks like we have a resounding "no defence" to me, your honour .. the jury will retire and reach a verdict.

Actually - at least one US manufacturer is defending its brand against copies and out sourcing its build - Rickenbacker. Fender and Gibson I feel have diluted their brand so much that they are indefensible.

sumelton1 wrote:

Now we're talking .. will anyone step up to defend the MIA. Myth or magic?

I took two guitars to a collector who pays top $$ for vintage guitars. My 1976 Made In AMERICA Stratocaster and another not made in America guitar. I bought my 1976 Strat in 1986 for $450 used. I was offered $2,375.00 for my MIA Strat, which I quickly declined. The second guitar was not an American made guitar(classical Epiphone made in Japan) and I was offered only 15% of what I paid for the instrument.
   The lesson here is equity. The value increases over time. This must tell you something,eh?

I'll be the first to admit that my home country has many flaws and several items that deserve harsh critisism but our guitars do not fall under this category........In my humble yet educated opinion.

Give everything but up.

Then again, is resale value down to the quality of the guitar or the knowledge that the market will hold the price on resale - in other words is MIA just a marketing ploy? Would MIA have the same resonance in Europe for instance?

To be honest, MIA feels rather xenophobic outside the US and Canada. We have great guitars being made throughout the world beyond the pacific rim, built on a foundation of quality lutherie - take Lowden or Avalon for instance.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello