Topic: strumming patterns

if you have any favorite strumming patterns, you can put them here so i don't keep using the same ones ALL the time....
I usually D U U D U U D U U ... kinda boring.... and   D D U U uD....
Those usually fit with any song i play but, they get kinda old too...   :]

it takes one to know one. roll

jessica<3

Re: strumming patterns

DDUDUDU DDUDUDU

"Growing old is not for sissies"

www.justinguitar.com

I learned my strumming patterns through Justin ... different patterns as well and I use them alot depending on the song

Janes Addiction - Jane Says (Live Version) has an awesome strumming pattern
Brooks and Dunn - Neon Moon is a great strum pattern too ... I time my strumming to the tempo of the song

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

thanks guys... i just needed something new. it's hard for me to figure patterns out. i haven't had enough practice. But  thanx i appreciate it.

it takes one to know one. roll

jessica<3

D...D...U...D...U...D...U...D...
1...2...&...3...&...4....&...1...

OR

D...U...D...U...D...U...D...U...D...
1...&...2...&...4....&...4...&...1...
This strum patterm can get very boring UNTIL you play it in a "shuffle" beat. Thats when you get the old time "Honky Tonk" sound or even a "Boogie Woogie" sound.

NELA

The typical 8th notes pattern

DDUUDU Works with most songs wink

I honestly don't know what I usually play.  I just wing it and try to get something that sounds OK.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

NELA wrote:

D...D...U...D...U...D...U...D...
1...2...&...3...&...4....&...1...

OR

D...U...D...U...D...U...D...U...D...
1...&...2...&...4....&...4...&...1...
This strum patterm can get very boring UNTIL you play it in a "shuffle" beat. Thats when you get the old time "Honky Tonk" sound or even a "Boogie Woogie" sound.

NELA

NELA ... would that apply "Boogie Wonderland" by Earth, Wind and Fire?  tongue

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

Zurf wrote:

I honestly don't know what I usually play.  I just wing it and try to get something that sounds OK.

- Zurf

Hey, Zurf, that's exactly how I do it.  I know strumming patterns are good to learn, but I have trouble with a lot of them, so I just strum and hope for the best.  It usually sounds good to me.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

After practicing hard for more than 3 months I have reached the point where I am able to transit from chord to chord perfectly but the strumming thing is where I falter every time. There are so many songs of which I know the chord changes but I can never strum at the right place. This is getting into me and am becoming frustrated. I cant realize where I might be going wrong. As I see there are so many experts of guitar out here can you suggest me anything that can make me overcome this struggling situation?

[url=http://www.learnguitar.net/]online acoustic guitar lessons[/url]

DDUDUDUU- play the first 2 kinda slow then speed it up 2wards the end=) works wit evrytin!

dominoes wrote:

After practicing hard for more than 3 months I have reached the point where I am able to transit from chord to chord perfectly but the strumming thing is where I falter every time. There are so many songs of which I know the chord changes but I can never strum at the right place. This is getting into me and am becoming frustrated. I cant realize where I might be going wrong. As I see there are so many experts of guitar out here can you suggest me anything that can make me overcome this struggling situation?

Use the last few strums of the pattern to make your chord change. For example, DDUUDU.........Strum DDU with the chord you're playing then strum UDU open as you move to your next chord. Start out slow and gradually progress faster. You will get the hang of it. Eventually you will be able to change chords without breaking up the pattern.

I don't even know what my usual strumming pattern is, I just adjust according to the song and go by feel.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

dominoes wrote:

The first place that you're going wrong is to think that at three months you would be able to do a first rate job of getting strumming correct.  Frankly, I think you're making excellent progress being able to chord change effectively at three months.  Well done!

The second place that you're going wrong is to think that there's a "right" place to strum.  There are all manner of arrangements.  Even songwriters change up the presentation of their own songs from time to time.  Relax.  Cut yourself some slack.  Maybe have a nice cup of herbal tea with honey or if you're so inclined an adult beverage while you play to help you relax and enjoy yourself. 

Lastly, what you are doing right with the chord changes is to be paying attention.  Do pay attention.  I am a bit TOO relaxed in this manner.  So, pay attention, practice just the rhythms without chord changes. and then work the chord changes in.  You'll get there.  You're making terrific progress already.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Listen to Zurf. Also, keep a close ear to the song you are playing. Count to the "beat" of the song. 1, 2, 3 , 4, 1, 2, 3, 4...
                       strum  D D  D  D  D  D  D  D
or

1, 2 & 3 & 4 & 1, 2 & 3 & 4 & 1
D D U D U D U D D U D U D U.

Just by listening to the song the beat will give you the strum pattern, the tempo will give you the timing. If you can tap your foot to the song and keep time then you can strum to the song. Just place a pick between your toes and practice, practice, practice. Once you have learned this you can try placing the pick between your fingers and struming.

Nela

DDUUD  DDUUD my favorite   peace

There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and alcohol!

I quite like the simpler 1 2 3+4+    for some reason, It seems to work really well for a lot of oasis songs.
                                 D D DUDU

Or you could always go for  1+2+ 3+4+
                                         DDD UDUDU

●████▅▅▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄....▄▄▄
▄▄▅██████▅▄▃▂
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █►
◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤ -Mr T says: Quit yo jibba Jabba! You Ain't hurt!

I don't think the strum is really the thing. It's finding a rythm that goes with the tune.

The Down ups don't change the rythm as such , they change the voicing of the chord. The basic rythm is enhanced by the variation of the chord sounds.

Imagine you're a drummer, Try tapping out a rythm that matches the song  - with two hands. Turn one hand into guitar down strokes and the other hand into up strokes.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello