Topic: About LANGUAGE

I saw a movie yesterday evening about "gangs" killing each other, and in all such kind of music there is one with a recording studio as cover up. A lot of movies are made, not an A movie but a C or D movie.
FIRST OF ALL: I don't like such movies, on a quiet moment in the movie you can even hear the camera turning, or you see a microphone hanging.
Everytime there is new movie about Afro Americans & gangs I hope it will be a nice movie.
(I didn't see a good movie yet.)
I don't understand what they are saying, or what they are singing. I think a lot of them speak slang in combination with English with misspellings.
Their vocabulary, their English, like is really difficult to understand and even more in songs.
Add their the use of the F-word
-  you IS my b***
- my big bl**d** in your "xxx"
- He been had dat job.
- he be workin'
- do you understand me, used dozens of times.
- she my sister
Also the way they are dressed, their trousers hanging somewhere half way between knees, shirt, shoes and baseball hat. Do radiostations, I mean BIG RADIOSTATIONS play RAP? There is so much profanity in their songs.
So I would be pleased if there are chordians telling me more about this ALMOST NOT SEEN HERE IN EUROPE PHENOMENON.
LANGUAGE + CLOTHS + EXTREMELY BIG GOLDEN CHAINS + PROFANITY.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: About LANGUAGE

Hey Doc,
Unfortunately the things you point out above are actually very accurate and fastly becoming a part of culture in the states. The trouser thing is most irritating; Underwear should be just that "under wear" you shouldn't be able to see it. This gangster persona is fastly becoming mainstream. It is widely popular. I'm hoping it passes they way bell bottoms and leisure suits did. It was all fun in the 70's. What concerns me the most is how irresponsible the artists themselves are. They are encouraging a dangerous lifestyle of violence and hatred. To glamourize such low values is disheartening. I know I sound like an "old fart" but for every one kid who makes it big 200 waste their life or worse die. This cultural change is degrading our society's values.

That's my 2 cents

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

For my twopenny worth, I think is boils down to something very basic.

Kids are not taught discipline and to respect other people and their property. Both laws and society seem dead set in promoting evil and wrongdoing, crime is not punished and the whole legal system a joke. Disipline and respect, taught at an early age would prevent many wrongs in later life.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Recently, I learned of a man who was killed in D.C. for the "crime" of reprimanding some kids being too loud outside his mother's house while he was visiting her and trying to put his own son down for a nap.  They waited until he turned around to head back in the house and shot him six times in the back.  The reprehensible behavior and shameful lack of concern for life is not an exaggeration.  It is an abomination, but not an exaggeration.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

5 (edited by geoaguiar 2008-06-16 16:34:33)

Roger Guppy wrote:

For my twopenny worth, I think is boils down to something very basic.

Kids are not taught discipline and to respect other people and their property. Both laws and society seem dead set in promoting evil and wrongdoing, crime is not punished and the whole legal system a joke. Disipline and respect, taught at an early age would prevent many wrongs in later life.

Roger

Well said; I couldn't agree more. You're so right about teaching at an early age. I see so many kids who lack the basic moral concept of right and wrong. Sure, there's always a gray area but it's sad to see a young kid who doesn't grasp the basic concept of remorse or being kind. Religion can be handy for that sort of teaching but lack of it can't be blamed for this. As parents, we have a moral obligation to raise or children with the basic values (if you can't teach them right from wrong in some version then don't have kids). You could argue that the values are subject to opinion based on religious beliefs etc. but right from wrong is pretty universal.

Zurf's example illustrates what can happen (and is truly tragic; is there really that much evil in the world?)

The bigger question (in my head) is which of the following is most responsible?
A. Parenting
B. Education
C. religious belief (or lack there of)
D. Gangsta Cultural Influence

Sorry to get off topic Doc!!! And yes, they play that crap on major radio stations; most times with a whole lot of beeps.

Elvis Costello

6 (edited by KAP54 2008-06-16 21:36:03)

Well said one and all.Todays society seems to revolve around the me ,myself and I thing when it comes down to whats right and whats wrong.Zurfs story about the dad killed is just one of many you hear ,or read ,or see about in the many,many forms of media today.
My take is that children should have a class starting in grade 1 about what peer pressure is and how it affects others.Carry it on all the way through to grade 8.Teach them young and you will teach them well.
When a child learns about peer pressure amongst his peers it should have a bigger effect.Coming from Mom or Dad its to easy to scrub off.
Todays "Gangsta Noise" I believe is a direct result of kids growing up in a very angry and frustrating environment.It really does suck and I also hope it goes away soon as it can only encourage violence.
You can't blame them for what they are feeling and how they want to express it,but you can blame the society that taught them to feel this way.

Thats my take.I hope I didn't pee any one off.

PEACE
KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Interesting you suggest that class KAP54, because my daughter's elementary school (grammar school, I believe, in the UK) has just such a class.  My wife and I had the option to sign her up for "counseling" courses.  I was a bit suspicious, but when we asked about what they teach, we were impressed.  I am fortunate to live in a very wealthy area and send my daugther to a public school that is exceptional. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Sounds like you and your wife did the right thing Zurf.I don't know if other schools offer such courses like this but it would be a real good thing if they did.
Cool
KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Well my 50 cents worth is that times have changed, peoples ideas about the world they live in has changed.
So kids are growing up in a world that reflects these changes.As a pessamist I can only say that we will be spending more and more money on detention centres.I also think that we should take a closer look at how mass media operates.If I where in control, there would be alot of things I would sensor thats for sure!

Please don't take my opinion too seriously - I too do not want to offend anyone.

Peace Brothers and Sisters.........From da heart....LOL.

"It's all about the Calluses, once you got them, you can't get rid of em!"

Sad that kids cant get clothes to fit them !!! What a bizzarre culture this gang mentality is !!! I will never get my head around it......

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx

NO NO GEOGUIAR, I wrote this topic based on what I see here in my LOUSY seat with a "fruit-juice"and not a six-pack. I, who was once a major customer of breweries, HATE beer now.
And I have felt the interaction of alcohol (wine or champaign) with medication, not a real problem but when I worked after my crash, I was more stressed than a rabbit, more tired than a bear having his nap in winter, and if you combine this: CATASTROPHE AND A WARNING FOR EVERYBODY don't mess with your body. So in fact I rented about 10 dvd's and everytime that dvd guy tells me, no that is a good one woth Lou Diamond Philips AT HIS WORST in Death Toll. I DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT AN ACTOR AS LOU DIAMOND is playing in one of the worst movies I've seen.
AND INDEED like Roger sais WHERE IS DISCIPLINE AND RESPECT. One problem is crystal clear, aren't we all blinded by having a nice house, nice wife, nice job, nice car, PC, TV? A lot of these guys, most of them are Spanish or Afro-Americans want the same but as a lot of people do they want a lot without EARNING it. I am proud to tell that every single object I have, I worked really hard for it. I agree, a lot of those youngsters have a difficult youth but that is not a reason to hide them behind the umbrella "I had a sad youth"
The problem in this topic is interesting because it is worldwide and it concerns all of us. Once you tasted "easy" money at a young age by criminal activities, it is very hard to get a job. Is there a system that helps young, poor people to keep them away from crime, or the culture they have.
TROUSERS when they pick something from the ground you see that famous big planet URANUS, the way they talk, even SMS language, (which is becoming a worldwide phenomenon) the way they greet, like they start a boxing match. WHO CAN GIVE THESE KIDS A FAIR CHANCE TO SUCCEED IN LIFE? Not a metal detector, not locking them up, but something useful? That's why I like this topic IT CONCERNS ALL OF US.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

gitaardocphil wrote:

TROUSERS when they pick something from the ground you see that famous big planet URANUS,

Too funny!!!!!!

Elvis Costello

gitaardocphil wrote:

Is there a system that helps young, poor people to keep them away from crime, or the culture they have.

It's called Scouting.  Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, or Boys & Girls Clubs, do a tremendous amount of good in the world.  For my part, I like to help kids learn to fish.  I expect that it would be hard to be a gang-banger when you've been taught that even the life of a fish matters and deserves respect. 

- Zurf

Hi Docs,

Is there a system to help young people rich or poor ?.

Yes! to my way of thinking there is! Good oldfashioned Parenting.
Direct eye contact from a very young age. Use a tone that says and means. " I accept no nonsense". There first steps to discipline are taught through parents.
When kids go to school they dont throw there stuff on the floor. They use lockers and whatever else is there for storage. WHY ?. Because there are guidelines implemented immediately in schools and anything else is unacceptable.

A bigger problem in modern society is "Latchkey Kids", i feel. Do Most couples work now for real wants or greed wants ?. Having a child or children coming home to a empty house to me is awful. Every moment is a moment of learning so, these kids are learning loneliness and isolation from a young  age. All the gagets in the world cannot hug them or speak to them!
  I know people have to work, But do both parents have to be gone all day?. Then  { the Parents }are to tired to interact with there kids in the evening.

Take your kids on sensory missions. This dont cost the earth!  Let them hear the beauty of your voice as you speak to them about them on a one to one, or  at family meals. Ask for stories of there day. You can ofton be surprised at what you learn from these shared times. You have to make them feel part of a unit. If not they will find another, maybe a more troublesome one.
Tell them you "love them" Hug them, your there family! if you dont, who will ?.

Throw an old rug in the garden and lie with them when the stars are out. Learn a little about the constellations and share with them.
Put bird feeders on there windowpanes. Instant connection to the beauty of nature.
Give them a simple book to indentify the visiting birds.
Roll back some stones or logs and net a few of the crawlies there. Again teaching the kids why these insects are there and why they like this enviroment. You learn and they benifit.
This kind of interaction keeps them aware and sensitive to there surroundings.
If you teach them how to love the smallest thing, they wont want to harm a living soul young or old.
This list is endless, but it is all about spending time with your kids.

This hang Ass trousers business apparently came about when kids would be arrested.
The first thing they had to do was take off there belt for safety reasons inside a prison cell.! This  has now become a fashion in the hood. All be it for the wrong reasons.

If we want our kids to be productive adults we have to invest time, love and instill belief in the wonder of themselves as human beings.

These are Just some of my simplistic views on rearing kids and it dont cost the earth to implement.

Slán

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

I have an easy solution for the low hanging pants thing. A few years ago (when this "fashon" started becoming popular), I told my now 16 y.o. son that if I ever see him with his pants hanging below his boxers, I will take all of his underwear away!

It's worked so far (at least when he's anywhere around me).

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Well put Old Doll..."Keep it simple" goes along way.

I wonder how fast a sixteen year old wearing "low hangers" would scramble when you told him his fly was down and could he find his fly right away to zip up?

KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

topdown wrote:

I have an easy solution for the low hanging pants thing. A few years ago (when this "fashon" started becoming popular), I told my now 16 y.o. son that if I ever see him with his pants hanging below his boxers, I will take all of his underwear away!

It's worked so far (at least when he's anywhere around me).

Perfect !!! Must try that . This low pants thing drives me nuts . Surely it cant be comfortable ? Then again it's all image isnt it ?

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx

18 (edited by Zurf 2008-06-18 00:36:49)

Ray Melton wrote:

Perfect !!! Must try that . This low pants thing drives me nuts . Surely it cant be comfortable ? Then again it's all image isnt it ?

No, it is about concealment.  Stashes of weapons or other contraband are easily concealed in loose clothing. 

- Zurf

I believe if you raise your kids to respect their elders and others and give them the best guidance you can ,you have to let them make their own choices and if you have done a good job most of the time they will make the right choices.

Later Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

20 (edited by last_rebel 2008-06-18 17:25:54)

Hi yall I've been out for a while but I just came in and HAD to throw in my two cents on this one....
Its interesting to me how much music seems to play a role in behavior these days. I think maybe the attention shift from sound to visual brought on by MTV and etc.s (not that vudeos are the only culprit I'm sure there are plenty of other factors) has helped start an infactuation with the lifestyle and persona that music portrays, and not so much an interest in music for music's sake. Personally (and mainly simply because of the profanity used) I don't care for rap music., but the whole "Gangsta" fad is a cultural phase that has far outgrown any kind of musical movement, even to the extent that people without any real passion for rap music itself tack the gangster label to thier forehead.
  That being said, when you have a strong set of morals, and know what you believe is right and wrong, there's nothing wrong with appreciating any form of music FOR THE MUSIC'S SAKE. The difference is the T.V and radio didn't raise you, your parents did, and you have sense enough to realize a good song is still justa  good song, not neccesarily a guidebook to life.

All You Need is Love smile