Re: Learning to Sing AND play

Mikeward100,

I have only been playing for abut 2 years and for the first year I didn't even think of singing along - I didn't think I could sing. Then at a family function I was asked to play and they even wanted me to sing - obviously it didn't sound very good (although beer helps) however I enjoyed it. Since then I have found that my playing has come along MUCH better/faster - singng helps you with the strum patterns and the chord changes as you know instantly when you are off. I now encourage all new players to start singing with their playing - it pays off.

Plus, like your playing your singing gets better the more you do it.

Scenics.

Absolutely right !! I remember when I first started I thought " How the bloody hell do you sing and play this thing at the same time ?????" But after a while you cant play without singing along. Lots of people say" Oh  I cant sing !" Any one can sing ,you have to train your voice just like you had to train your fingers. Sure some will be better than others, but you pick your songs ,ay ? My doctor actually said something like 'It's hardwired into our brain to sing and any one can ! " (even me  LOL smile I picked up a virus some years ago that paralysed my right hand vocal cords , the doctors said that's it for you mate forever ( I sounded like Marge Simpson !!) but one guy said I can fix that and he did and the point being is I had to learn all over again and it was hard work .It wil never be as good as it was but very close luckily. To never be able to sing and enjoy playing my guitar again would have been soul destroying. Sorry to ramble on folks, but LOOK AFTER YOUR VOICES !!!! : )

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx

Play to the timing of what your singing, if that makes sense.
As in, in time with the words as you sing them.

All I know is I feel better when I sing.
Burdens are lifted from me.
That's my voice rising.

what I like to do, and usually works for me is to play the crud out of it, until you can't stand to hear the guitar part to it anymore, then sing it until you can't stand hear the words then do that a bunch and naturally it'll take time, but it takes a while to get it right

I'm the voice inside your head you refuse to hear I'm the face you have to face mirror in your stare I'm what's left I'm what's right I'm the enemy
I'm the hand that takes you down, brings you to your knees
-Foo Fighters (the Pretender)

30 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-07-03 00:51:37)

Here's how I approach a song I'm going to attempt to cover. First I learn the guitar part (chords and progressions) then I sit down with the song playing and just really listen. I listen mainly for the breathing breaks. Proper breathing makes singing so much easier. When I know the lyrics fairly well and when to catch a breath, I play along with the song a couple of times. Just guitar at first then a few times humming along. Then I gradually fill in the words as I feel comfortable with them. Usually you'll struggle a little a first but you'll really be surprised how quick it comes once you conquer that first verse. After you get a few songs down it really starts to come together and you'll find the process takes less time with each song you learn. Soon you'll be playing and singing songs fairly well first time out. It's like everything else with the guitar...At first you think what the *#@%,  I'll never be able to do this...lol but soon enough it just clicks and you can't believe you ever thought it was hard at all. Get in the habit of tapping your foot while you play. You really shouldn't be worried about counting beats you need to relax and feel the music! Don't be afraid to make it your own. If its easier for you to play and sing it slower or faster then do so! You can always slow it down or speed it up later when you feel confident with the song if you want to. Peace! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

The song i find difficult to sing and play at the same time is ROCK AND ROLL SUICIDE D BOWIE.
In isolation it's simple but together it does my head in.

i wish i could play like jimi hendrix

32 (edited by evsynator 2008-07-06 21:43:41)

try to advertise for a singer for your stuff... duo etc... you might meet the odd singer you combine with and jam together well. trial and error . experiment .

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

i love to play guitar
i love to sing
but............
i can't play guitar while singing
and i can't sing while playing my guitar ...
i hope 1 day i can bring it together...........

yunging wrote:

i love to play guitar
i love to sing
but............
i can't play guitar while singing
and i can't sing while playing my guitar ...
i hope 1 day i can bring it together...........

Better to say "I haven't learned how to play guitar while singing" and "I haven't learned to sing while playing guitar" than to say you can't do either.  Listen to it often enough and you might begin to believe yourself.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I get a accurate copy of the song lyrics in big print. I then write the chords in red ink over the sylable of the word where the chord hits.
Practice the song in parts - first. Do the intro over and over until you get it clean. Slow it down until you get everything you want clean and then bring it up to speed.
Then add the first verse and go until you screw up. Keep adding verses, bridges and choruses, cleaning them up until you get them right. Pay attention to endings. If the record fades out at the end, you may have to come up with something on your own.
The difference between an average performance and an outstanding one is attention to every detail. After you decide what you must do for a song, drill it until you can't screw up.
We never take any sheet music onstage. We rehearse a song until we are so sick of it we no longer enjoy hearing it. That is the point where we finally have it down - remembering all music and lyrics without hesitation - even if months pass without playing it.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I agree with many of these ppl. I can sorta sing and sorta play to. i practice by singing in your head. As i get better at playing and do not have to focus so much i can then sing a bit aloud. Then, slowly and with ih my own time i can do both together pretty decently and then you just gotta practice from there.

{{***~MuZiK LuVeR~***}}