Topic: the white stripes

So I stumbled across this band recently when I went looking for new music (following an aboscure and little known trail that started somewhere with shooter jennings and the raconteurs), and I was wondering if there were any fans that could give me some review (I've learned from wiki they're from detroit, the lead singer and guitarist apparently Jack White who I'd call pretty descent), maybe what yall think of them or the album I should buy first if I want to start listening to them...
They have sort of a classic feel to me, kind of a raw unpolished sound thats refreshing with all the over synthesized 'out of the can' music on the radio these days. I've heard it said they've got a led zeppelinish sound, but anyway opinions?

All You Need is Love smile

Re: the white stripes

I like this band alot. They're a 2 piece band and the sound they get live is pretty amazing. The couple used to be married but now they're married only in a musical sense. Jack has some cool guitars that are of the  hybrid bass/guitar variety. The low E and A strings are bass guitar strings and the remaining 4 are regular guitar strings. I think their lyrics and political driven song content are their strong points, as well as their beautifully simplistic, hard driven, foot stompin' grooves. I really like their song"7 Nation Army"!  Here's some additional reading material;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Stripes

Give everything but up.

Thanks lots southpaw big_smile Thats really interesting the bass strings on his guitar, never thought about it before but I bet that opens all kinds of doors to new sounds and combinations....
I noticed on the youtube video 'ball and a biscuit' he had one that I didn't recognize, the body shape kind of reminded me of one of muddy waters' old gretsch guitars, and the solo was awesome.
Thanks again,
LR

All You Need is Love smile

I love playing their "hotel yorba" song. it is so easy and people that have never heard it always say it is a good tune.

I didnt realise they were once married though. I was told they were brother and sister.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

upyerkilt wrote:

I love playing their "hotel yorba" song. it is so easy and people that have never heard it always say it is a good tune.

I didnt realise they were once married though. I was told they were brother and sister.

Ken

Ken,
Here's a piece of an article I read;

Relationship
In 2001, proof of Jack and Meg White's 1996 marriage emerged yet they continued to insist publicly that they were brother and sister. The couple had been divorced in 2000 just before the band gained widespread attention .

In a 2005 interview with Rolling Stone magazine, Jack White claimed that this deception was intended to keep the focus on the music rather than the couples' relationship:

When you see a band that is two pieces, husband and wife, boyfriend and girlfriend, you think, "Oh, I see..." When they're brother and sister, you go, "Oh, that's interesting." You care more about the music, not the relationship -- whether they're trying to save their relationship by being in a band.

Give everything but up.

last_rebel wrote:

Thanks lots southpaw big_smile Thats really interesting the bass strings on his guitar, never thought about it before but I bet that opens all kinds of doors to new sounds and combinations....
I noticed on the youtube video 'ball and a biscuit' he had one that I didn't recognize, the body shape kind of reminded me of one of muddy waters' old gretsch guitars, and the solo was awesome.
Thanks again,
LR

You are very welcome Last Rebel. And by the way i like your post on Language. Very inciteful for such a youngster!!!

------------------------------------------

Re: About LANGUAGEHi yall I've been out for a while but I just came in and HAD to throw in my two cents on this one....
Its interesting to me how much music seems to play a role in behavior these days. I think maybe the attention shift from sound to visual brought on by MTV and etc.s (not that vudeos are the only culprit I'm sure there are plenty of other factors) has helped start an infactuation with the lifestyle and persona that music portrays, and not so much an interest in music for music's sake. Personally (and mainly simply because of the profanity used) I don't care for rap music., but the whole "Gangsta" fad is a cultural phase that has far outgrown any kind of musical movement, even to the extent that people without any real passion for rap music itself tack the gangster label to thier forehead.
  That being said, when you have a strong set of morals, and know what you believe is right and wrong, there's nothing wrong with appreciating any form of music FOR THE MUSIC'S SAKE. The difference is the T.V and radio didn't raise you, your parents did, and you have sense enough to realize a good song is still justa  good song, not neccesarily a guidebook to life.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Good stuff.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

cheers for that.
i still learn new things everyday lol
Amazing how when someone is told something and you have no reason to disbelieve it that you take it as being true, then when someone comes across and tells you different you dont believe or dont want to.

Ah well,

cheers for the info.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Great band.  Been around for a while but only started to get national prominence a few years ago.

Get "Elephant" if you want their most famousest stuff.  It's all good, though.

Jack White also does a couple of straight up old time country blues acts for the soundtrack to the movie "Cold Mountain."

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

My favorite is "Girl, You Have no Faith in Medicine"

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]