Topic: TREND SETTING CITIES CONCERNING MUSIC MOVEMENTS

YES yo read it well.
How many different styles in music do we have? Blues, rock, bluegrass, punk, psychedelic, grunge, garage rock jazz.....

1) SEATTLE = THE city who provided us a fistful of great bands.
- NIRVANA
- ALICE IN CHAINS
- SOUNDGARDEN
- PeEARL JAM
I think you can add more bands, even very popular bands in the USA, but not in Europe.

2) SAN FRANSISCO.
End 60ties "the place to be" for long haired peaceful people" the hippies. With people as Jack Kerouac and bands like
- The GRATEFUL DEAD
- JEFFERSON AIRPLANE

3) DETROIT
This city, in fact suburbs 50 miles from Detroit, they say that in these places rock started. If this is true than is Detroit providing us two styles of music: MOTOWN MUSIC AND ROCK.

Detroit blues originated when Delta blues performers migrated north from the MISSISSIPPI Delta and Memphis, Tennessee to work in Detroit.
Typical Detroit blues was very similar to Chicago blues in style. The sound was distinguished from Delta blues by its use of electric amplified instruments and a more eclectic assortment of instruments, including the bass guitar and piano. The Detroit scene was centered on Black Bottom, a Detroit neighborhood.

4) I NEED YOUR HELP ON THIS. We had already discussions about the ORIGIN of blues and rock but we NEVER TALKED WHERE, IN WHICH CITY or AREA music trends originated.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: TREND SETTING CITIES CONCERNING MUSIC MOVEMENTS

London.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

The first Musical City for the US would have to be New Orleans,  the birth place of jazz.

It seams that for Rock trend setting cities seem to have their moments.  in the 50's Memphis,  was the center of music.  San fransico in the 60's, Los Angeles in the 70's and 80's,  Seatle was the 90's.

Zurf I forgot that city, but a lot of TREND SETTING BANDS, Beatles, Stones, Clapton, Page, played the BLUES from albums sailors brought to England straight from the USA. At that time there was still a problem between Caucasians and Afro- Americans. Blues were played on other radio stations and the same blues came back to the USA by British bands as the Yardbirds, Animals, Stones...
And mixter isn't it strange that the BLUES are so related with THE MISSISSIPPI? It started at the Mississippi delta and went North up to Chicago, resulting in CHICAGO blues, ST.LOUIS blues, MEMPHIS blues and NEW ORLEANS blues, better JAZZ. Last time I was in New Orleans was in 2003, and compared to 1992, the MUSIC SCENE had changed, bands in The French Quarter bars played more jazz in 1992 compared to 2003 wgere they played more blues and rock.
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE ORIGIN OF TEXAS BLUES?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Doesn't really matter...If You Got The Blues You Play The BLUES!

With U I Rock!

Texas Blues has that "I don't feel all that Good but
I'm going Shake It OUT!

With U I Rock!

Liverpool has to be amongst the top cities for music as it is home to:

The Beatles,
Gerry and the Pacemakers,
Frank Goes to Hollywood,
The Lightning Seeds,
Billy Fury,
The Searchers,
Cilla Black,
Elvis Costello ,
The Fourmost,
Swinging Blue Jeans,
Orchestral Manouvers in the Dark,
The Merseybeats
and lets not forget The Wombles.

These are just a few of the bands and artistes from that city

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Roger Guppy wrote:

The Beatles,
Gerry and the Pacemakers,
Frank Goes to Hollywood,
The Lightning Seeds,
Billy Fury,
The Searchers,
Cilla Black,
Elvis Costello ,
The Fourmost,
Swinging Blue Jeans,
Orchestral Manouvers in the Dark,
The Merseybeats

Roger

And the Wombats!
Unless that's what you meant by "wombles". (I thought they were from Wimbledon?)

We can't omit Starkville, Mississippi, home of the great James McCormick!!!

Give everything but up.

Tibernius wrote:
Roger Guppy wrote:

Roger

And the Wombats!
Unless that's what you meant by "wombles". (I thought they were from Wimbledon?)

Oops! red face and all that, bad glasses, senior moment or just temporary insanity I missread. You are right and I am wrong. I will write 1000 lines "I must read things properly first before passing them on"

Roger

PS thank goodness for computers, the 1000 lines took less time to write than this answer lol

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Like Zurf said LONDON.
The London scene in the 60's was a really significant place to be for bands.
And Although Roger mentions Liverpool which quite rightly should get mentioned it was down in London that the beatles and gerry and the pacemakers etc hung about, recorded and pulled in the crowds to get noticed ( ok the beatles were noticed in liverpool first but still hung about london for the music scene)
The 60's london scene would be the place that has heavily influenced loads and loads of bands through the decades and they are still influencing bands today.
The beatles, the  who, pink floyd, rolling stones, cream, small faces, led zep, and many more.

also Manchester. It has produced many bands that seem to make it big.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

the 20s was where bands started .... mostly jazz and blues . it progressed from there . even hendrix was a pro jazz guitarist at his beginning  , playing at the back of bands .

any resemblance to my songs sounding anything like the original is highly unlikely.

NEVER / EVER forget the improtance of the Mississippi Delta Country. Anyone from the South will know what I talkin' 'bout. From the Cresent City all the way to Memphis. Blues, Jazz and Rock & Roll was born in dem "cottonfields".

Nela

gitaardocphil wrote:

YES yo read it well.
How many different styles in music do we have? Blues, rock, bluegrass, punk, psychedelic, grunge, garage rock jazz.....

1) SEATTLE = THE city who provided us a fistful of great bands.
- NIRVANA
- ALICE IN CHAINS
- SOUNDGARDEN
- PeEARL JAM
I think you can add more bands, even very popular bands in the USA, but not in Europe.

Heart
Jimmi Hendrix
The Whalers
The Postal Service
Sleater-Kinney
Death Cab for Cutie (even though they suck)
Candlebox
Foo Fighters
Robert Cray
Hole
The Kingsmen
The Melvins
The Supersuckers
Queensryche
Mudhoney
The Posies
Reuel Lubag Trio (I only mention this because I used to date a woman that dated their drummer.)
Screaming Trees

And let us not forget,

The Presidents of the United States of America

Seattle has had a fantastic music scene for a really long time, and it hasn't changed a bit.   There are a ton of really good bands here.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

How About Nashville, while country wasn't inventer there, it's centered there...as well as Austin Texas..where there are lots of what I call progressive country. Though I must admit I'm also a big blues fan.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Austin as awesome.  As is Memphis.  I haven't been to Nashville, but I'd imagine it's pretty great, too.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I would definitely say Austin as well ... I saw so many styles when I went there ... Blues was definitely big with alot of small bars and Blues players jamming ... it was sweet

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75