Topic: strumming patterns

I was going to put this thread elsewhere but decided here as it is only chit chat I am posting.

I was wondering why people ask for strumming patterns for songs.
Is it so they can play it the exact way a song was recorded?

I have never asked or looked to find out any strumming patterns for any songs. I dont even know if I do the same strumming patterns as original songs, maybe I do and it comes naturally or maybe I am just making my own up, either way I like what I strum.

Do others here look for strumming patterns for a song or would you just know how the song goes and play it?

I couldnt be bothered with reading  this up down up up down  down down up up down mallargy.

views?

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Re: strumming patterns

It matters when it matters, but only then.

I just play what I like.  If I like the original, or if the original rhythm is "key" to identifying the song, then I'll attempt to mimic it or at least to incorporate the basic pattern but maybe play it finger style or with mutes or something. 

But, some songs it makes a difference for basic recognition of the song. 

Then, there are those who thing that "as the best known recording of the song sounds on the album" is the same thing as "right."  Remember that dude that popped on here and said most of the chord transcriptions weren't right?  He didn't get it.  Lots of folks like him though, I expect (except without the arrogance). 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

When I first started learning I looked for and used some strumming patterns. I did that mainly just to help develop rhythm and to have a set pattern to practice chord changes to. After I learned a few songs and was comfortable with playing it just clicked and I've never really looked for patterns anymore. I find that if you play a song with just the guitar it's best to just trust in yourself to set the rhythm. Often times just playing what they play sounds empty and you need to fill in a little for the song to sound right. Most songs have multiple guitars going so you need to improvise to get the sound you want...

I think it's good to learn allot of diffrent patterns ,as it gives you more strumming options, as a beginner but they should never be followed religously. Good music is all about heart and you need to put a bit of your own into it to enjoy it. Just my thoughts... Peace! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I'm with you Ken. I strum how I strum. I have a few different patterns I guess but I try not to think about it. I've never been able to analyze it. It is what it is. If I like the way it sounds that's what matters to me.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

All the questions about strumming patterns kind of stump me.  When I listen to a song, I can instantly identify the strumming pattern that the artist used; being able to do it myself might be another matter.  I've been playing enough lately that unless the pattern is something like a fast bluegrass alternating bass line, I can get it with a little effort.

I guess it's just me; I never realized that other folks can't tell a down stroke from an upstroke just by listening.  I will admit that it's taken nearly a year of three hours a day practice to be able to play what I hear though. smile

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Same here Ken ... I listen to the song and the tempo and go with what I feel right with ... case in point; I listened to Neon Moon by Brooks & Dunn ... with the tempo of the song I matched my strum pattern to the rhythm guitar and it sounds really sweet

I think it would be harder to try and find what strumming pattern they're using then to listen and just go with the flow

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

One of the 1st song books I bought had 12 to 15 struming patterns and picking patterns located in the front. As you turned through the songbook you was told which pattern fit the song. This helped but did get kinda confusing. After awhile I noticed that if I listened closely to the song and paid attention to the bass or drums in the song I could hear the "beat" of the song. By tapping my toe on the floor or tapping my finger on the table I was keeping time with the music. Then it became second nature for me to pick up the strum pattern as I counted to the "beat". Another helpful (to me, anyway's) thing  do is I carry a pick on the console of my truck and as I listen to a song I count to myself and "strum" across my shirt as I drive. I play mostly older country music with some gospel songs thrown in and only play the rythem parts. I guess by doing what I've done I've trained my ear to pick up the "beat" of a song and transfer that into a struming pattern. Hope this make since to ya'll but it do work for me.

Nela

NELA - I used to play harmonica in traffic - at traffic stops obviously not while driving.  Anyway, I listen to country as well, so if I had a C harp handy, I was pretty much covered.  It'd draw some attention from nearby cars because my car didn't have air conditioning and I'd have the windows down and sunroof open much of the time.  Good practice time if you can figure out a way to do it.  One thing I've done to memorize chords is to put the songs I want to learn on a CD and play them while commuting.  Then I speak the chord changes to myself as they occur.  It helps. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

9 (edited by NELA 2008-06-25 22:01:59)

Yep, Zurf, sometimes it's the little thangs that help make the difficult thangs simple.

Went the other day and listened to a feller play music who said he learned to play a mandolin while driving in NYC. Said he had plently of time to learn while sitting still and didn't have to roll the window down. I guess there's always a way to practice.

Nela

Speaking from personal experience, if you are not musical in any sense (like myself), it's quite hard to hear a strumming pattern in a song that you are listening to.

As a beginner it helps to have a strumming pattern shown to you for the first couple of songs. Once your strumming hand then knows how to move, you then find as you are listening to something else you start to move your hand up and down and there is an instant 'by george she's got it!' moment.

I looked at strumming patterns for the first two songs I learned, and now, I just find they confuse me and I need to 'listen' to what i'm trying to play.

Hey Zurf , Im glad I'm not the only one to play his harmonica in the car and strum songs on his shirt !! Beats listening to the c**p on the radio... But here in Australia it is illegal to talk on your cell phone when driving so I'm curiou s to see what will happen if I get busted playing my  harmonica !!! I just scored a travel guitar, a lovely gift from my students, so now while waiting for the kids at soccer practice , I'll be jammin' in my car !! smile

Zurf wrote:

NELA - I used to play harmonica in traffic - at traffic stops obviously not while driving.  Anyway, I listen to country as well, so if I had a C harp handy, I was pretty much covered.  It'd draw some attention from nearby cars because my car didn't have air conditioning and I'd have the windows down and sunroof open much of the time.  Good practice time if you can figure out a way to do it.  One thing I've done to memorize chords is to put the songs I want to learn on a CD and play them while commuting.  Then I speak the chord changes to myself as they occur.  It helps. 

- Zurf

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx