1 (edited by cytania 2008-06-25 12:37:45)

Topic: Body Talk - Depth

Ok here's another reason to check out a guitar at a shop. I've noticed that one of the key differences between a cheap guitar and 'the real thing' is the depth of the body. The distance between the front you play on and the back that rests on your belt.

A Squire Strat is thinner than a true Fender Stratocaster. The Joe Strummer telecaster (a 67 replica) is noticeably deeper than today's Fender teles. A top-flight Les Paul is much deeper (and heavier) than an Epiphone version.

This body depth is something you rarely see on 'spec' sheets of online stores. It is going to add sustain no matter what wood is used. But is that a good thing?

The chunky debate begins here ;-)

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

Re: Body Talk - Depth

cytania wrote:

Ok here's another reason to check out a guitar at a shop. I've noticed that one of the key differences between a cheap guitar and 'the real thing' is the depth of the body. The distance between the front you play on and the back that rests on your belt.

A Squire Strat is thinner than a true Fender Stratocaster. The Joe Strummer telecaster (a 67 replica) is noticeably deeper than today's Fender teles. A top-flight Les Paul is much deeper (and heavier) than an Epiphone version.

This body depth is something you rarely see on 'spec' sheets of online stores. It is going to add sustain no matter what wood is used. But is that a good thing?

The chunky debate begins here ;-)

Cytania:

Your assumption in regards to the body depth or tummy cuts as they are called on the squire versus the standandard strat is correct.  The squire strat (bullet) made in Malasyia usually measures out a a body thickness of 1.50 inches thick while the standard is 1.75 inches.  With that said the tummy cuts changed every 10 years in thickness (50's 60's & 70's) I don't know the body spec as it is written or what is now. Go to www.edenhaus.com Bernie is a licensed Fender rep to make bodies & necks ( he is also a really great guy I live 10 minutes from his shop with traffic) you will see the differences in the cuts.

Bootlegger.

Re: Body Talk - Depth

Really nice site Bootleger, I particularly like the neck profile chart.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'