Topic: Getting started with guitar and bass for us

Hi, my fiance and I would like to start playing together, with her on a bass and me on a normal guitar, both electric.  We don't know what to look for or how to get started, because none of our coworkers or friends are musicians so we're kind of in a vacuum.  We're both in our mid 20s and not too interested in the band scene, so we'd mostly just practice and jam together.

She likes hard rock while I like speed/neoclassical metal, but we're open to playing whatever kind of music we meander onto.  The biggest restriction so far is that I'm very tall with large hands, so a lot of starter guitars don't feel right at all.

Is there a sticky or running thread about those of us who are -just- getting started playing and can help us?  If not, can the community oblige my request here?

Re: Getting started with guitar and bass for us

That's a difficult thread. I know that some Fenders Telecasters have a thick neck.
What's the size of your hands?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Hi Dekker
and welcome to Chordie.

What you like to listen to might be completely different to what you will play, although if making your own songs up you could be influenced a lot by what you listen to but not all the time. It is what you are comfortable playing. I love listening to heavy rock but I play a lot of folk music.
I play acoustic guitar, but i do play some heavy acoustic rock songs my own way.

As for the large hands part are they large as in big and lanky hands or large dumpy hands?
Large lanky hands mean skinny long fingers which I would think is excellent to play any guitar. Large and dumpy is more of a problem, I have what I would call large dumpy hands, but you get used to it. Everything or anything you start of doing is a new thing for your hands/fingers to get used to so it might take time to get used to the feeling of holding a guitar, especially at the neck.
I like to have a thin nexk so my hands can get right round to the strings but then it makes it harder to play the chords properly. Too thick a neck can make it easier to place your fingers on the strings but you have to move your hand more underneath to get yer hands at the strings causing more strain to the wrist.

You will have to be patient and take your time when chosing a guitar ( says me that rushes out and buys one on the same day all the time i decide i need a new one) Once you have it, practice practice all the time. Too much practice will hurt your fingers and hands. So moderate your prcatice time and try not to get too frustrated. It can come quicker to some than it does for others so dont let a week or two of getting frustrated and not being able to play something get you down. One day it will all come together.

I am sure the two of you will come to a compromise. something like some fast rock songs that she likes and you like.

good luck

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

They're very lanky hands.  I'm 6'6 and I weigh 190 pounds...screw genetics.  My youngest brother got a Squier for his birthday a few years ago and it felt like a toy in my hands, for example.

I think you will find like Ken said, you will have to start out with some folk type songs and gradually expand with your abilities,I was a rock and blues guy until I decided i was gonna learn to play guitar.I still listen to the blues and some rock but I'm not good at either so I play alot of acoustic alternative rock,folk and some country and enjoy it alot.I have small arthritic hands but I play some stuff fairly well.I started playing when I was a kid and life got too busy and I picked it up again 10 years ago and it is the best project I have ever taken on.Just make a commitment and keep at,practice every day and in couple months you will be jamming and having a ball.

Later Wayne p

Later, Wayne P