Topic: Bo Diddley?

I was reading an article in Newsweek about his death, is it true that he invented the rock 'n roll sound and wasn't given credit? I don't know a whole lot about him.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Re: Bo Diddley?

I woulden't go so far as to say he "invented" the rock and roll sound because chuck berry was around at the same time along with little richard,jerry lee lewis,buddy holly,link ray and a host of others.If I recall bo diddly had only one hit "hey bo diddly" i cant recall any others but chuck berry and little richard spearheaded the rock and roll movement and the rest jumped on the band wagon it could be argued that bill haley and the comets were the first published and public recorded artist with 'rock around the clock" I was a teenager when rock and roll first came out and I remember doing the "bop" at sock hops at the high school similar to back to the future movie and I remember bo diddly with his flying v and tremelo sound and all i can remember is his one song that hit the top of the charts if anyone can point out another feel free smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Bo Diddley was more likely to be placed in the Blues Genre,  where he did have a number of hits.  He was very infulential with the "Bo Diddley Beat" which has been copied by many artists including Buddy Holly,  The Doors,  Bruce Springsteen,  The Yardbirds, George Thorogood,  and many others.   As to who invented the Rock and Roll sound, thats very much up to debate.    Rock and Roll was a Marketing term, use to sell Black R&B style music to Larger mostly white adiences.  Black artists like Chuck Berry, Little Richard,  Fats Domino,  and the others who fit more with the likes of Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis and the Rockabily sound were also sold as Rock and Roll.  More "Straight" Blues artists, like Bo Diddley or BB King were not.

the bo diddly beat brings to mind african tribal rhythems this is not a racial comparison only a point of reference the same can be said for latin american rhythms or the boingings of a diggeredoo the instrument from australia a good example of native rhythems is the drummer gene krupa true he was stoned most of the time but he ushered in a exceptance of this form of rhythem because he was cauacsion there were other drummers who played the same like cozy cole but because they were not caucasion there popularity was reastricted to the afro american populace and thru the years this rhythem has become the norm.

Russell_Harding wrote:

I woulden't go so far as to say he "invented" the rock and roll sound because chuck berry was around at the same time along with little richard,jerry lee lewis,buddy holly,link ray and a host of others.If I recall bo diddly had only one hit "hey bo diddly" i cant recall any others but chuck berry and little richard spearheaded the rock and roll movement and the rest jumped on the band wagon it could be argued that bill haley and the comets were the first published and public recorded artist with 'rock around the clock" I was a teenager when rock and roll first came out and I remember doing the "bop" at sock hops at the high school similar to back to the future movie and I remember bo diddly with his flying v and tremelo sound and all i can remember is his one song that hit the top of the charts if anyone can point out another feel free smile

He also did "who do you love" and " I'm sorry" those are the ones that rolled of the top of my head.

Bootlegger.

I think alot of the beginings came with the country and western singers like hank williams,He did move it on over,which turned into a great hit for many rockers. Carl perkins was also very much of an influance also. I know many of them were influanced by black gospel music.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I remember george thorogoods who do you love but I cant recall bo diddle doing it thanks for the info I will look it up smile

bootleger wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

He also did "who do you love" and " I'm sorry" those are the ones that rolled of the top of my head.

Bootlegger.

Russ - Bo was a Chess Records mainstay.
Before you accuse me, Roadrunner, and Mona have been covered a lot.

Also the box guitar!
  http://tonydr.home.comcast.net/~tonydr/bodiddley.gif

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

\m/    I never accused you of anything,what are you talking about?

tonydr wrote:

Russ - Bo was a Chess Records mainstay.
Before you accuse me, Roadrunner, and Mona have been covered a lot.

Also the box guitar!
  http://tonydr.home.comcast.net/~tonydr/bodiddley.gif

Ellas McDaniel made me do it.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix