Topic: CHEAP GIBSON AND FENDER CLONES = A LIST OF (BAD)GUITARS

This is a difficult, maybe a painful topic. I was busy comparing a lot of LES PAUL and STRAT clones.
MY CONCLUSION:
1) If you don't have a lot of money or you want to play guitar !!THIS IS A VERY SUBJECTIVE OPINION" the best guitars you can buy are the cheap or cheaper lines of Fender & Gibson like
- SQUIER
- EPIPHONE
I heard a few others like HARLEY BENTON a weak sound, no character STAGG is a little bit better and maybe a litlte MORE better on a heavy amp with distortion, but often you start with a combination GUITAR + AMP for beginners.
If you want to buy a guitar I give you an ADVICE: here on chordie are a lot of people having experience about guitars (I am not an expert, but I know how a good guitar sounds)

AS SAID IT IS SUBJECTIVE
I'm working on a list of guitars, sounding not good and take your courage away.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: CHEAP GIBSON AND FENDER CLONES = A LIST OF (BAD)GUITARS

Im not really sure what your trying to say here, dont buy a gibson or a fender even if you can afford it? I love my cheap guitars as much as the next guy but you cant compare a gibson les paul to epi paul in all serousness and tell some kid that its the same ax ....its not, there are a great number of good imported guitars out there god knows I have enough of them ,but there is differance , I'm really looking forward to your list of guitars, I'll leave you with this to add to your words of wisdom you have below your posting (Its not having what you want ....its wanting what you have) ....later John

I played a horrible guitar. . .sounded awful even when it was in tune-a Peavey Raptor thing.  I'm not sure which model Raptor, but it must have been a cheap one.  A very good cheap guitar I played was a Fender Starcaster.  Sounded nice and played nice.  However, even when comparing my Danelectro to my uncle's Gibson LP Standard, you can tell why the Gibsons cost what they do.  I will say, though, that my Dano is about a $300 guitar, and it sounds awesome.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

The simple answer here is that there are good and bad in all manufacturers lines. However that really doesn't say much.

First off I've played some bad Gibsons so simply getting the famous name isn't a guarrantee. Part of the trouble is the classic Fender/Gibson models are rooted in 50s designs. Being authentic can mean some vintage problems like so/so tuners (Gibson) or temperamental tremolos (Fender Strats). Both these manufacturers have lines that try to be authentic but also current flagship models that try to modernize and improve. Sometimes this goes a step to far, this year's Telecaster has lost the 3 barrel bridge and the sound has changed.

The budget lines like Squier and Epiphone simply offer the classic models with shortcuts to lower cost. Upstarts like Vintage and Fret-King try harder because they don't have the famous name, there are some real quality guitars in their line-up.

The main reasons for going Fender/Gibson are 1) collectability, there's always the chance that your model will become desirable and gain in price 2) parts, you'll always be able to get spares. To me modern guitars are pretty rugged so 2 isn't a huge deal and given that cheap lines are less likely to be sought after 1 hardly figures. Collecting is a generational vibe thing so maybe the future collectables with be Charvels or some other goji brand...

The other factor is; are you after that classic sound? Do you want your Strat to have the text-book Strat tone. If so then you will find you gravitate to boutique lines. If you are happy with an all round good guitar sound then there's plenty to choose from. This is the new golden age of guitars.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

My first Electric was a Squire Tele,  Its a good enough guitar, and I still love to play it, 20 years later.  But a bought a American Strat in 2004 and the difference is night and day.   I can get a great tone out of the tele, but I have to work at it.  The Strat had great tone from the first time I pluged her in.

DFT889 I think you didn't get the point. I wrote IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO BUY A GIBSON OR A FENDER, I believe you are better of with a guitar a LOT CLOSER TO  FENDER & GIBSON.
Like a Fender MIM, or an EPIPHONE in stead of spending money to a HARLEY BENTON or STAGG.
This doesn't mean that these are bad guitars but I believe it's still better to pay 100$ more, and buy an epiphone (as example) they are quit good.
I had the occasion recently to compare VERY CHEAP CLONES versus THE REAL STUFF and versus the better copies.
I don't believe that my opinion is "infected" by the fact that I am spoiled by having a nice collection.
The sound = SAME AMP, SAME VOLUME, TONE on a CLEAR & a DISTORTION channel were really a bad experience.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Phil, I see , I in no way meant any disrespect to your posting, after reading it over I see your point, if your point is (if you have less expensive model and your not getting the sound you want don't give up, try another copy or other brand and you may surprise yourself) am I close? I'm sure your infection will clear itself up soon , if you rub a little fastfret on it that may help ease your pain.....I dreamt I was a muffler last night............I woke this morning  exhausted...lol John

Yes it is close. There are really very good looking and fancy guitars but as soon as you play?!!!
I compare it with a woman, you have a beautiful woman at your side, but the moment she starts talking her voice sounds like the sound of a teacher using a piece of chalk on his big board. One of the most irritating noises ever.
Some people buy a very cheap guitar but soon they are changing pick-ups, at the end you're better of to pay some more money, and buy a guitar that you love.
Gibson has some quit cheap but decent guitars.