Topic: Tenitis

Just wondering if anybody out there has ever had dealings with tenitis,I think thats how it is spelled. Tenitis is a constant ringing or buzzing in your ears that will not stop.I have been dealing with it for the last 5 years and can be very frustrating at times cause it gets so loud you can just about feel it.Been to the docs about it and had all the tests done and the end result is, it's Tenitis and no cure,just learn to deal with it.Also have been to a lot of forums looking for answers on it with the same results...Learn to Deal With It.Which I have but I've been wondering if it has been affecting anyone in the music end of it and how they handled it.

KAP54 smile

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Re: Tenitis

Kap i was bothered with it for a while and every once in a while it comes back but thank god doesen't stay to long I dont know what causes it,something to do with your equalibrium in the inner ear or your diet not sure which, sometimes a lack of a certain vitamin your body needs and a multi vitamin could help so i wish you good luck with this tinitus it can be real anoying

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Kenny I have had tinnitus (I think that is the right spelling) for a number of years. I am told mine, and my partial deafness, was caused by shooting a lot from a early age and not wearing ear protection.

Most of the time I can ignore it and I do not realise I have it, that is until I am made to think of it and of course it is ringing away like mad at the moment. Once I pick up my guitar or get involved in doing something it will fade away, well not really fade away as it is always there but it will not be in my conscious mind.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Some inner ear problems are caused by excessive fluid.  If you have a high sodium diet, try cutting back on the sodium and increasing the amount of water you drink to keep things nicely flushed out.  This assumes that you have properly functioning kidneys. 

Other inner ear problems, especially including tinnitus, are caused by abuse of the ears.  They have little tiny hairs in them called cillia.  These cillia fluctuating around in fluid in the inner ear react to a little bitty hammer on a drumhead (your ear drum).  The fluctuating cillia trigger nerves, and that's how you hear.  Loud noises, like firing guns or artillery, or blasting tunage with headphones, or what-have-you, can break or damage both cillia and the nerves attached to them.  Then you've got tinnitus.  Sometimes, like after a loud concert, the effect goes away.  Sometimes it doesn't.  Not much can be done about this aside from protect your ears from loud noises as much as possible.  Turns out, Mom was right. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

lol Thank you DR.ZURF lol

Russell_Harding wrote:

Doctor Phil was running late on his rounds, so I pitched in to help him out.   I'll let you guess as to why I know about this issue. 

I SAID I'LL LET YOU GUESS AS TO WHY I KNOW ABOUT THIS ISSUE.

No, I did not say I'll get your best wino the latest tissues. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

lol lol lol
You guys crack me up. Great word play Zurf.
I'm guessing that my Tinnitis developed from being young and foolish in my days of construction.We used to use Hilti-guns(they fired 22 calibur shots to drive the nails) for fastening steel or wood to steel or block and in my youthful ignorance I felt that that I didn't need hearing protection. Wow was I wrong.Having to deal with constant buzzing for 5 years,night and day should be a wake up call for anybody in a noisy atmosphere.Wear Hearing Protection.....Don't be stupid.
Who knows maybe I have to deal with this for the rest of my life.True there are worse things that could happen to me,but I gotta tell you when it's 3 in the morning and all you want to do is go to sleep and the buzzing won't go away!!!!!You'll have no one to blame but yourself.

Thanks for the input guys,nice to know I'm not alone.

KAP54 smile

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

heh? whadja sayun are you deef lol lol chuckle and yuk yuk

Zurf wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

Doctor Phil was running late on his rounds, so I pitched in to help him out.   I'll let you guess as to why I know about this issue. 

I SAID I'LL LET YOU GUESS AS TO WHY I KNOW ABOUT THIS ISSUE.

No, I did not say I'll get your best wino the latest tissues. 

- Zurf

yeah Zurf I have it too. Tinnitus is a bad deal. Too many woodworking machines , motors, loud music , earphones, freeway , 2 wives, barking dogs, did I mention two wives?, DID I MENTION TWO WIVES?....Anyway its worse when its real quiet like out in the high desert in nevada...no noise at all except in my head and the flying bug 200yds away..haha..good luck buddy if you're not married you need to be that'll cure you the ringing wont bother you anymore  LOL

I thought ; If I had one idea,
and took it from beginning to end.
I would try another.

Marcalan - Not at the same time, though, right, those two wives of yours?

- Zurf

would it matter?  Stereo in both ears!!!!...No No dont get me wrong im not that bold or stupid for that matter...HA

I thought ; If I had one idea,
and took it from beginning to end.
I would try another.

Thanks for the feedback.I see a possible piece to the puzzle here.I to have two too-many ex's. I never thought about before but maybe....Just maybe that's where my hearing problems started.:lol:
Thanks KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

For Marcalan and KAP54:

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.u … ;id=199433

- Zurf

Thanks Zurf lol My bro's ex lives in Texas........Wish mine did toooooooo sad
KAP54 smile

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

I did have bother with my ears after a sinus infection.

The noise was frightening. Some meds did help.
  Kapa if you have this noise at night time, try this! A small walk or discman with relaxation tapes or discs. you will be in noddy land in no time. i go to sleep this way every night.

It may never go but, a doctor told me  to do this!   Pinch your nostrils closed,
while closed puff out your cheeks as if blowing up a balloon. It pops the ears.
If this is real painful to do, you may have infection. go have it checked again.

It sure aint affecting you writing Sir!

Ps. Its been said if your ears are bothering you! You dont like what your hearing ?

PPS, Dr Zurf! are ya looking for a nurse? go on gis a job lol

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

16 (edited by KAP54 2008-07-09 00:39:13)

Thanks for the advise Old Doll but I'm afraid that after living with the buzzing for at least the last five years day in and day out, night in and night out and many trips to the docs (1 MRI),it has been labeled tinnitus which has no cure but to learn to live with it.With me I have a strong constant buzzing in my right ear and a kind of harmonic in my left ear(the left ear I have to concentrate to hear it,which I don't do to often. LOL)
For me if I want relief at night I'll turn on a good movie and hopefully get lost in it,or I'll enjoy a bunch of Labatts Products or both cause the only way to escape it is to let your mind wander and or sleep.
Unfortunately I am not the only chordie dealing with this ^*#%@%!)*^%&..............(^&*()^*%#
problem.So it's good that it is brought up cause it's good to know your not alone.

This is the third time I have tried to post this reply. There seems to be a glich.Please go thru...Please

Thanks Helena

KAP54:)

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

17 (edited by Tim0473 2008-07-09 00:14:34)

KAP54

I can speak from personal experience ... I was gonna chime in but saw Dr Zurf beat me to it ... I've had operations on both my ears (eustachian tubes) and suffered tinitus due to wearing my headphones and blasting music in them (damages the tiny hairs in your inner ear, as Dr Zurf eluded to, cylia) ... blasting music in your ear over time will damage the hairs, they dont move and cant trap the sounds, and the ringing bounces around endlessly ... now I have the fortunate opportunity of having NO middle ear bones in my left due to recurring ear infections, etc growing up ... I had an operation to fix it and they did, had perfect hearing ... then a few years later complications came and they had to remove the prostetic piece from my middle and my hearing went again ... suprisingly I'm not deaf, just cant hear great out of that ear ... but I WISH they could have captured that d*mn tinitus in my ear and sucked it out!!!

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

Chime away Tim0473.
This is a serious problem that can happen to young or old.For all you young Chordies out there that think you are invincible and can take the pounding than beware.....when you get older you may be crawling up the walls to escape the buzzing just because it was cool to listen to loud music or loud noises when you were young.
As we get older it can affect us easier.Must wear proper hearing protection if we want to continue to hear music properly

Sorry if I carried on but for those in the know....Tinnitus Sucks

Thanks for your input Tim0473 smile
KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Your welcome KAP ... one thing is for certain, when we get older we can still "HEAR" the music and that's what counts tongue

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

smile
KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

I too was young and foolish at my work.
No hearing protection working construction noisey jobsites. One day about 12 years ago my ears started ringing and they never stopped.
Had all kinds of tests tried some medications nothing worked.
Have some hearing loss also and have a hearing aid for one ear.
Sometimes the ringing sounds like a jet taking off if it's quiet.
Wear the hearing protection!!!!!!
Coulda had something to do with sitting in front of the amp stacks night after night too.
Mikesr

Hi Mikesr
I agree as does marcalan or anyone for that matter,that when its quiet it is when its the loudest.
Good call with sitting in front of the stacks night after night.If we only knew then what we know now.
Thanks for the valuable input. smile
KAP54

Just out of curiosity,...anyone know a good forum that deals specifically with tinnitus

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

"Tenitis"
I watched Wimbleton but i don't play much....What'd you say?

Give everything but up.

Hi kap,I get it but only once in a while,guess I have been lucky as Ihave listened too alot of loud music, and shot alot of  military arms. I still have very good hearing. My doctor had advised me too use ear wax removal kits you can buy at a local drug store. He also told me too never use Q tip cleaners on the inner part of the ear.     dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

25 (edited by KAP54 2008-07-09 10:51:21)

Good tips to share dino. As you,I've been lucky to have fairly good hearing still.
Thanks smile
Southpaw lol Thanks fer the morning chuckle.

KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)