Topic: Were to start learning Theory?

I've been playing guitar for over a year now and I like to think I am an alright guitarist but I've never really tryed to learn theory,I have picked up the odd bit from music classes in school and guitar magazines but I seem to be all over the place with it.So where would you advise someone to start of with theory and what would they learn after,etc.

Also,what is the importance of scales?

Re: Were to start learning Theory?

Anyone?

Try going to forums and look under music theory...there should be enough information there to get you started.

Hope this helps..

"R"

Sorry, this might have been a stupid response to a good question. I didn't realize we were already in the music theory section. I'm dumb as a coal bucket when it comes to music theory but I can usually find a lot of good information here.

"R"

I know that theres all the threads but I want to know were to start of,why they are important,etc.

Cazador,you sound a lot like me.I can play OK but know squat about theory.I want to learn now but it's gonna take some time just because it's gonna take some time.If writing songs is what you want to do than the more theory you know the easier it will be when it comes to progressions.If you have melody in your head and you know theory than thats half the battle.
I suggest reading the stickies at the top and if you are stuck,ask Jerome and he will help you the best he can.(Also you've only been playing 1 year,I've been playing over 35 years.Have fun with it)
Hope that helps
KAP54 smile

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Cazador wrote:

I've been playing guitar for over a year now and I like to think I am an alright guitarist but I've never really tryed to learn theory,I have picked up the odd bit from music classes in school and guitar magazines but I seem to be all over the place with it.So where would you advise someone to start of with theory and what would they learn after,etc.

Also,what is the importance of scales?

This is one of many good theory sites: http://www.dolmetsch.com/theoryintro.htm

Scales allow you to play solos in every key.
One can start by learning major scales in the most common guitar keys first, C, D, E, F, A, and G.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I play Eb tuba and I appreciate working with a guitarist (John Reno) who is kind enough to use a capo (usually on his first fret) allowing him to use chord patterns in D and allowing me to play in my home key of Eb giving me more open tones and fewer valves to push down.
Dennis Gray
http://www.myspace.com/johnrenomusic

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

.tubatooter1940,I still don't see the importance in scales,I know some people say to play with a metronome but I can easily play with the highest speed on my metronome by looking at a scale straight away.

KAP59,its not that I don't know any theory,i just know bits and bobs so I need to know the order in which to learn all of them.

Cazador wrote:

.tubatooter1940,I still don't see the importance in scales,I know some people say to play with a metronome but I can easily play with the highest speed on my metronome by looking at a scale straight away.

KAP59,its not that I don't know any theory,i just know bits and bobs so I need to know the order in which to learn all of them.

I'll suggest you take a trip to your local music store and hire a professional to get you going in the right direction. Sure one can learn from the free resources available on the internet but human to human interraction is the most productive, efficient way. Plus it puts money in pockets of musicians who have paid their dues and are willing to share their knowledge with others.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L wrote:
Cazador wrote:

I'll suggest you take a trip to your local music store and hire a professional to get you going in the right direction. Sure one can learn from the free resources available on the internet but human to human interraction is the most productive, efficient way. Plus it puts money in pockets of musicians who have paid their dues and are willing to share their knowledge with others.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Thats the problem,it's either lessons or a new acoustic guitar and I really need a new acoustic guitar,and sure all I need to know it what order do you learn all the theory cause as I said I know bits and bobs of it.Thanks anyways.

I still need help guys!!

Cazador wrote:

I still need help guys!!

Have a look at this information. And do not underestimate the importance of scales. It's not about looking at a scale and beeing able to play a scale, it's about knowing when to use the coolest scale to suit the piece of music one is playing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_theory

and this site is very helpful as well;

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/AA-000-LessonIndex.php

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L wrote:
Cazador wrote:

I still need help guys!!

Have a look at this information. And do not underestimate the importance of scales. It's not about looking at a scale and beeing able to play a scale, it's about knowing when to use the coolest scale to suit the piece of music one is playing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_theory

and this site is very helpful as well;

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/AA-000-LessonIndex.php

But I can already play certain notes that suit a riff that ie a friend is playing on bass or guitar.Thanks for the pages.

Cazador wrote:

Hi Cazador,

From this message I think there is some misunderstanding. A metronome will give a steady beat to regulate the speed (tempo) of a piece of music or song.

Scales on the other hand are the actual notes to play (or sing) in a particicular key. The key of C is always the easiest to remember as it is C D E F G A B C. Another couple of examples are:

The key of G is G A B C D E F# G.

The key of E is E F# G# A B C# D# E.

Learning scales is learning where these notes are on your keyboard so you can play in that particular key.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Sorry for my absence.  Been traveling abroad, and working like a dog as of late.

Where to start?

Scales.  Major scale patterns.  Learn them inside and out.  They are the foundation for everything you will do as a musician.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Start by understanding the difference between between a half-step and a whole step.

Just a thought on learning Music Theory . . .

Music is like an alluring woman - vivacious, beautiful, and charming.  Like many of us, I was attracted to this gorgeous babe thinking, "Wow, I just have to know this chick!"

However, soon after introducing myself I realized that She (Music) is more than just a cute babe.  She is actually a complex and fascinating creature full of mystery, surprises, and great depth.

Some are scared away by Music's complicated nature - but I am endlessly intrigued.  I have come to realize that I can never know it all - - - but, I can keep on learning just a little bit more about Her all the time.

She is never a boring companion.  She can be demanding and frustrating.  She can seem unreasonable and illogical at times - but She is never, ever boring!

Music has fascinated humans for thousands of years.  She speaks her own language that is both ancient and ever-changing.

Music is well worth getting to know better - Music Theory is a great way to explore her beauty!

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]