Topic: When you hit a wall

Hi Everyone,

I just wondered what everyone does to stay motivated to learn more,  more than you know now. When you have times when your just not sounding as good as you did...say last week..or you've just hit a wall so to speak. I know the love of music is motivation enough, but I just wondered about what everyone does to push theirselves to get better.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Re: When you hit a wall

I have been there several times and in fact have hung up the guitar for long periods of time but I was lucky enough to find some friends who were in the same boat, that used to play in their basements by themselves, so we got together and played a few songs, now we meet each week on a Monday at one of our homes, eat some snacks, drink some wine and play some music.

You talk about motivation, you want to be sharp when you arrive cause you don't want to let anyone down. We have been doing this for almost 2 years now and I am still motivated and look forward to each and every Monday night. My family knows I am booked that night and nothing can get in the way of it.

Don't know if it helps, but try to find some friends in the same boat, you will be amazed how many there are and who they are.

I think EVERYONE hits that point ... where some days you dont feel like playing at all ... maybe weeks on end ... the one thing I've learned like John said is I have a buddie of mine and we usually get together at least once a day on the weekends to play, whether it be learning new material or fixing old stuff ... some days we'll play just acoustic sets, others we'll do electric or a combo

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

Listen to someone who is so incredibly talented that it makes you either want to pick up your guitar and practice or smash it on your desk.  Don't smash it on your desk.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Playing with other people is great but not always readily available.  Try listening to some new music, find a song you really like and then do your own version until you make it YOUR song.
Try taking a thought or a theme, find a nice chord progression and put some words/thoughts down.
After 35 years on standard guitar I took up playing lap slide and I am totally hooked, a new lease on my musical life and progression. From the land of Oz (Australia)...

I had that happen with golf.  I took a lesson.  It helped.

Zurf wrote:

Listen to someone who is so incredibly talented that it makes you either want to pick up your guitar and practice or smash it on your desk.  Don't smash it on your desk.

- Zurf

That happened to me a couple of weeks ago when I heard some of Joe Satriani's songs for the first time. yikes

When I get bored with playing, I tend to just try a different style.

8 (edited by Zurf 2008-07-14 12:38:27)

Andy McKee blew my mind.  We keep talking about how hard it is to do barre chords, and he was hammering on barre chords while picking a pattern and thumping the body so that he sounded like two guitarists and a percussionist when in fact it was just one guy.  And it wasn't just tricks either, it was a very pleasing style of music. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Good advice above. Learning a instrument is a series of plateaus. We need new material or inspiration from other players to break us out of our rut and start us progressing again.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I'll second the playing with other people thing, that's always fun. I even taught a couple of my cousins how to play.
When you can't do that though, finding new songs on your same skill level helps, or even tackling one thats a little harder. Building your song repetoire makes it less monotinous. Practicing scales and all thats important, but can get a little tedious after a while. Sometimes you need a break from the technical stuff to just play.

All You Need is Love smile

I always have a hard time playing during the summer because I love to golf too. I still play a little during the summer but not nearly as much. I always help my Dad farm on the side so I usually don't play at all for about two or three weeks during harvest. I found that after harvest, and there's no more golf to play, I'll pick the guitar back up and I wonder why I ever stopped playing. I absolutely love it again. The cool thing for me is I'll be fired up to learn new songs and techniques as well. So taking a break is what does for me. I guess you don't what ya got...till it's gone!

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Sometimes you get to a point that everything is just too frustrating. All you need to do is back-off, take a little break and come at the problem from a different angle. That angle could be talking to other musicans, sitting in and playing with other musicans, taking a lesson or 2 from a qualified teacher or just relaxing for a while. For me, I've found that when I am having difficulties with a song I can leave it for a few days then it just comes easier. Not long back my wife and I were asked to do a 5 to 7 song set at a local "open mike" nite establishment. Well I had heard a song that I just could not get outta my head and my wife also liked it. I had the CD with the song and I found the words without the chords. By trial and error I found that the key I needed to do the song in was "C" but I just could not get the chord progerssion right and I was badly frustrated. My wife and I went to a local music store in our town to see if I could find some sheet music there for this song. One thing lead to another and we could not find the lyrics, chords or anything. The counterperson asked if he could play the CD so he could listen to the song and as the song was playing one of the guitar teachers came out to listen as well. After the songs played a couple of times the "teacher" and I got started talking and I told him my problems. He said he had just had a student cancel a lesson and he was free and for me to "come on back". It took him a matter of minutes to listen to the song, play the song and then tab it out for me. All this and he refused to let me pay him for the canceled lesson. By the end of the day I was playing the song and my wife was singing it. So, my advice to you would be when you hit the wall - back up - take a breath - and come at the problem a little differently. Ask for help when you need it and be sure to be thankful for the help when you get it.

Nela

There have been DOZENS of time that I didn't touch a guitar. I'm here at home not longer working and I didn't play electric guitar the last 10 months, until I discovered my Korg PX4D, providing me a rhythm section AND the fact I saw a DUESENBERG. I didn't want to buy him, but he stayed in my head.
Now I play 30-60 minutes a day.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I appreciate all the great advice, the thing is, is that I don't have any friends who play anymore. I use to have lots who did back in my earlier years, but you know how things change as you get a little older, you lose touch. Anyway, I've always worked through it when I hit the wall, and I will again, I'm that determined, though it would be easier if I had the friend who played, but it's great getting ideas on how others work through it. Thanks again for all the advice, and Zurf...I promise not to smash the guitar, at least not today.

Cam

Hey Everyone, I found a friend who's willing to help me, he's been playing for a long time and very good at it actually, comes from a musical family. The great thing is he only lives a mile and a half from me, just goes to show you most everything you need in usally right in your own back yard, I think I heard that line in a song once!

Cam

johnemac01 wrote:

I have been there several times and in fact have hung up the guitar for long periods of time but I was lucky enough to find some friends who were in the same boat, that used to play in their basements by themselves, so we got together and played a few songs, now we meet each week on a Monday at one of our homes, eat some snacks, drink some wine and play some music.

You talk about motivation, you want to be sharp when you arrive cause you don't want to let anyone down. We have been doing this for almost 2 years now and I am still motivated and look forward to each and every Monday night. My family knows I am booked that night and nothing can get in the way of it.

Don't know if it helps, but try to find some friends in the same boat, you will be amazed how many there are and who they are.

I think that's great.  I've seen that before, not necessarily guitar, where somebody books a regular time and holds it sacred.  I'm not very good at that and I'm envious.  I'll keep that one in mind.  Thanks.

cameronkl7 wrote:

Hey Everyone, I found a friend who's willing to help me, he's been playing for a long time and very good at it actually, comes from a musical family. The great thing is he only lives a mile and a half from me, just goes to show you most everything you need in usally right in your own back yard, I think I heard that line in a song once!

Cam

Hi Cam,

Reading this I can see the smile on your face and feel the excitement of renewed interest. I am very pleased for you.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Great job Cam about finding sum one to help you!!! That's gr8! Everyone hits that wall and the only things to do is keep going becasue sometimes...as it happened to you....the solution comes to you!!!! smile

{{***~MuZiK LuVeR~***}}

CAMERON WHAT YOU WROTE IS CLOSE TO MY DESCRIPTION. Due to a car crash I can't stand right with a guitar. SO I PLAY ALONE 95% of the time.
I don't get frustrated, I play good enough to be appreciated (by those who listen to what I play, and who see my style. THAT IS WHY I WROTE THAT I HAVE A VERY GOOD FRIEND WHO PLAYS ALWAYS WITH ME = my Korg Pandora PX4D and a PX5D has even more possibilities, more rhytm and bass loops + USB + ABLETON LITE. It even fits in your pocket.
THIS IS A TIP FOR ALL THE LONELY PLAYERS.   
cameronkl7 wrote:

Cam

THIS DOESN'T MEAN THAT I AM PLAYING EVERY DAY. It is sad to play alone but this is my fate, I can't accept the whole history, but my day pass fast and every day I practice 30 - 60 minutes.
DREAMING KEEPS ME AWAKE! (strange expression, but true in my case).

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Hi Phil,

I'm thinking that while I know it's sad to play alone, as I have, that certain things can be gained by both playing alone, and with someone who's better, so that in my position I can learn more. But I'm thinking that since your playing is at a level that the people who are lucky enough to hear you, realize that there is quite possibly a certain feeling in your music, a certain sound, or depth that comes from your uniqueness, or your individuality, your quality that makes you different from all others. so..playing alone or with someone, your still playing, thats whats important!

Cam