Topic: MTV makes great artist suck

there has been so many bands ive been a fan of for years, putting out fantastic lifechanging songs that were never recognized, (such as AFI)(days of  the pheonix ETC) then MTV picks them up,they change there style to fit the masses, and there music gets awful(Such as afi)(rip off the wings of butterfly, just an example). Good Music used to be Marketable, HEY WHAT HAPPENED????

Rock your Freak'in Socks OFF

2 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-06-19 17:52:13)

Re: MTV makes great artist suck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LB6Q_oycfQ ...It's so true!

Or a more recent version by the presidents http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibawg0lW7Kw I like this one a little better.

It's true though, music used to be about what you related to and now it's just a part of an image. It's seems that all the heart is gone from mainstream music. -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

i have just totally given up on mtv. theyve changed everything. i shake my head in shame for them.

here we are now, entertain us!
<3kurt cobain, smells like teen spirit

4 (edited by carriestar44 2008-07-16 00:20:06)

yep that's true..that's what you call POP(ular) culture now.

If no one watched then it wouldn't be popular. We have no one to blame but ourselves. Someones watching MTV. I didn't know they still played videos

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

geoaguiar wrote:

If no one watched then it wouldn't be popular. We have no one to blame but ourselves. Someones watching MTV. I didn't know they still played videos

Dude, I aint watchin' it.   So I get to blame everyone else.

mixter102 wrote:
geoaguiar wrote:

Dude, I aint watchin' it.   So I get to blame everyone else.

Its not me either. MTV is  extremely popular. There are thousands of users here @ Chordie and they represent a pretty wide age and interest range. I'll be they're are some MTV watchers out there. I'm old enough to remember it when it first came out and it was cool. But then as time went on the video product seemed eclipse the music and that's when it got ugly. And as I said, its everyone fault. Who would you rather see half naked: Beyonce and Madonna or Lemmy From Motorhead and Tom Waits....I rest my case.

Elvis Costello

i gotta say though, the zz top videos were always cool, and they're still an awesome band even after thier fiasco with MTV in the 80s

All You Need is Love smile

Agreed last_rebel. And for some legitimate bands the video thing actually helped. I'd have to say I enjoyed the pre-MTV ZZ Top stuff way more than the Eliminator album but it was a huge commercial success. And having a blues based commercial success is good. It might make someone dive into the genre and find great little known artists. I'm not saying MTV is bad but I think it was bad for popular music. Do you think the Back Street Boys and N'Sync would have had the commercial success they realized had it not been for MTV? If you listen to the music (and I personally try not to) it wouldn't hold up well against most unsigned artists. I'm not saying they're talentless or they suck just that the music doesn't stand by itself. It's part of the marketed package and without the package there's no success.

Elvis Costello

I can also remember when MTV first started and it was entertaining to watch the music videos.  I don't watch TV much anymore - just too busy living my life.

Whenever I flip past MTV now they have nothing on but stupid reality shows or stupid gossip or stupid commentators prattling on about things that are of no interest to me.  The one good thing about MTV now is that it reminds me to hit that 'off' switch and get on with my life.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Well James, you've just changed my way of thinking. here I was thinking MTV was useless and crap but it actually does serve a purpose. It reminds us all why it's better to play music than to watch MTV

Elvis Costello

geoaguiar wrote:

Agreed last_rebel. And for some legitimate bands the video thing actually helped. I'd have to say I enjoyed the pre-MTV ZZ Top stuff way more than the Eliminator album but it was a huge commercial success. And having a blues based commercial success is good. It might make someone dive into the genre and find great little known artists. I'm not saying MTV is bad but I think it was bad for popular music. Do you think the Back Street Boys and N'Sync would have had the commercial success they realized had it not been for MTV? If you listen to the music (and I personally try not to) it wouldn't hold up well against most unsigned artists. I'm not saying they're talentless or they suck just that the music doesn't stand by itself. It's part of the marketed package and without the package there's no success.

Oh yeah I agree with you, 99% of mainstream artists played on the MTV make me literally sick to my stomache. And also, it seemed like when it all first started catching on, that it was a Rock thing but now theres as much hip-hop and R&B on there as anything... 
That being said, the idea of the music video isn't all together bad (like with the ZZ Top thing, it gives good bands another way to connect with thier fans and get thier new singles out there), but seems to me like they took it too far, making the visual more important than the sound. And MTV pushes certain bands and artists down your throat, which I guess would be a great oppurtunity for an artist, but the standards they use to choose WHICH bands seems to be based on how they can market looks and ot music.

All You Need is Love smile

last_rebel wrote:
geoaguiar wrote:

Oh yeah I agree with you, 99% of mainstream artists played on the MTV make me literally sick to my stomache. And also, it seemed like when it all first started catching on, that it was a Rock thing but now theres as much hip-hop and R&B on there as anything... 
That being said, the idea of the music video isn't all together bad (like with the ZZ Top thing, it gives good bands another way to connect with thier fans and get thier new singles out there), but seems to me like they took it too far, making the visual more important than the sound. And MTV pushes certain bands and artists down your throat, which I guess would be a great oppurtunity for an artist, but the standards they use to choose WHICH bands seems to be based on how they can market looks and ot music.

Well said and exactly correct.

Elvis Costello