Topic: Dreaded D

Hi everyone was wondering could anyone help me out. Its really a two tier question. I have been playing about ten months and I still find that I am not quite fast enough with my chord changes and its driving me mad because I think I should be up to that standard by now. whats your opinion? My second problem is I still have to look at the fret board when I am about to play the chord of D it drives me mad as i also believe that I should be hitting this o.k by now. Am I going mad oh sorry that's three questions. Welcome your replies thanks.........

Love nothing but that which comes to you woven in the pattern of your destiny..Marcsu Aurelius and the wild Elf....

2 (edited by KAP54 2008-07-16 23:03:41)

Re: Dreaded D

Hi astro5mile
To be playing for ten months and having problems with the D chord is not uncommon.Everybody has their own chord that they get stuck on so I wouldn't sweat over it too much.Learning to play the guitar is a time consuming love affair.The more you put into it ,the more you will get out of it.
The more time you put in, the faster you will get where you want to be,but remember that it has to be quality time.
2 years from now you will look back and be able to say(hopefully)that you learned with quality not quantity.
Hope that helps smile
KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Astro5mile, my advice is to keep on practicing and I know how much we all hate to hear that word. But that is how we get better. The "D" chord is just another chord that you simply need to develope your muscle memory too. Just try to strum in any chord progression that has a "D" chord in it and do it over and over again. Repition is where you develope muscle memory. Don't worry about how your struming sounds just concentrate on making the changes slowly and smoothly. Your natural speed will come all on it's own. Do this 10 minutes a day and you will soon have the "D" mastered. If you continue to have to look at the fret board (and there is nothing wrong with that) try make your chord changes with your eye's closed or the lights out. It'll help. You can practice any chords you are having trouble with this way BUT be prepared to cuss the "B" chord for the rest of your lifetime. As for the F#m7 - forget about it!

Nela

Astro ... agree with KAP and NELA ...

Everyone has their "achilles heal" chord ... for me its still the "C" ... I can get my fingers there without looking but I have a tendency to hit other open strings and it isn't "clean" ... I would include the "B" since I can't barre to save my butt but that one I just cant flat out play yet

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

I used to think there was a point when I "arrived"--but I don't think you ever do, you just keep learning new things, and getting a little bit better inch by inch.  Just enjoy what you've achieved after 10 months, and keep at it.  Like someone said, everone has tough chord changes.  D to Bm was always tough for me, and A to F#m is never as fast and smooth as I like it.  I just sit in front of the tv and all night long just jump from one to the other, don't strum the chord, just go back and forth all night long...won't take very long and the muscle memory will be there for you.  Go as slow as you need to, but hit it as clean as possible, and the speed will come, don't force it.

Frankster, I too had problems with changing from D to Bm or A to Bm. I never had any problems making the chord changes while sitting down but I could never make the changes smoothly while standing. After many long hours of doing nothing but practicing those changes I have no problems, now.

Nela

Go over your "D" and any other problems every practice session. If your fingers are late or you miss a chord change, don't stop or delay. Be on time for the next chord change.
Playing alone can mess you up if you lose the rhythm when you botch something. Playing with others or along with a recording will help you keep proper time and is very inspiring.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Just remember to never stop strumming. Keep the strum going without any change in the rythem as you mahe the chord changes. As you are learning try to keep a beat count in your head to the strum pattern you are using. Visualize the chord change in your mind prior to making the change and just keep practicing.

Nela

well my bit on this is mostly what has been said, practice practice practice

Try just going from the chord A to D and D to A. Dont try any other until you can do it.

Or G to D   D to G.

Then move on to chords like C to D  D toC   etc etc etc.

Once your fingers learn to make the shape you will wonder how you had trouble to start with, it will eventually come like it did with other chords.

I still have trouble sometimes changing onto Bm7 from any chord apart from D. I should follow my own advice and practice a bit more.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

KAP54 wrote:

Hi astro5mile
To be playing for ten months and having problems with the D chord is not uncommon.Everybody has their own chord that they get stuck on so I wouldn't sweat over it too much.Learning to play the guitar is a time consuming love affair.The more you put into it ,the more you will get out of it.
The more time you put in, the faster you will get where you want to be,but remember that it has to be quality time.
2 years from now you will look back and be able to say(hopefully)that you learned with quality not quantity.
Hope that helps smile
KAP54

Thanks Kap54 helped me out alot..........

Love nothing but that which comes to you woven in the pattern of your destiny..Marcsu Aurelius and the wild Elf....

NELA wrote:

Just remember to never stop strumming. Keep the strum going without any change in the rythem as you mahe the chord changes. As you are learning try to keep a beat count in your head to the strum pattern you are using. Visualize the chord change in your mind prior to making the change and just keep practicing.

Nela

Thanks great idea its inspired me.........

Personally, when I was just learning, I would put 1 or 2 rubber bands around my fingers in class and then spread and close my fingers.  IMO, this helps with giving you the strength to hit those hammer-ons that add flavor to your chords.