Topic: IN ADDITION TO FINGER PICKING

WHAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT DIFFERENCE BETWEEN
1) FINGER PICKING
2) FLAT PICKING

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

2 (edited by Zurf 2008-07-18 14:49:33)

Re: IN ADDITION TO FINGER PICKING

Finger picking uses fingers to pluck the strings.  Many good examples in bluegrass music. 

Flat picking uses a plectrum/pick to pluck the strings.  I've been working on a little flat picking lately.  I'm going to have to practice scales a LOT more before I can get serious about flat picking.  Best examples I can think of are Doc Watson and Ricky Scaggs. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

If you want to check out some good finger pickers try Leo Kottke,Ry Cooder,James Taylor or chet atkins Merle Travis Lightning Hopkins Blind Blake and Adrian Legg to name a few. Finger Picking is used extensivley in bluegrass on banjo or accustic guitar and in flemenco and classical music by the late great andres segovia

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Tommy Emmanuel.   Just saw him in a small venue a few weeks ago and he was really amazing.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

Yes he is amazing tony a great talent for sure smile

tonydr wrote:

Tommy Emmanuel.   Just saw him in a small venue a few weeks ago and he was really amazing.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Flatpicking is just better ; )

I've posted this before -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s8Mmc69CP8

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

Hi Zurf,

I love Doc Watson, he lives here in North Carolina, about an hour from me, He puts on a festival every year in honor of his son  "Merle Watson" who was killed on a tractor accident, the festival is called "Merlefest"

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Thanks for the link Alan.Some goo-o-o-o-d flat picking there.

KAP54 smile

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

And how's this for fingerpicking - Stanley Jordan plays "Stairway to Heaven."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjXN3OLgoqs

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello