Topic: WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THE WORD "CASTER"= a hard one.

Yes like teleCASTER, stratoCASTER.

I found this
1.  One that casts: a caster of nets.
2. also cas·tor (kstr) A small wheel on a swivel, attached under a piece of furniture or other heavy object to make it easier to move.
3. also castor
a. A small bottle, pot, or shaker for holding a condiment.
b. A stand for a set of condiment containers.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THE WORD "CASTER"= a hard one.

hmmmm, Lieven You really do come up with some hard questions sometimes lol
I will have a jab at this.
Caster to cast out, as in casting out a fishing  line.... it might be from this?

To cast a line, to make it go out away from you.....telecaster.....the music casts out from you when playing???

Sounds good to me

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

It's a pepper shaker!  Go figure! cool

I'm the son of rage and love

a caster is a wheel on a swivel, or one who cast metal or plastic.

Badeye.. cool

one caper after another

Upyerkilt is about right.

The Telecaster was originally brought out as the Broadcaster - the connection to TV and Radio being fairly exciting as a concept back in 1950. Broadcasting originally related to sewing seeds - casting them out on the soil.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

VESSEL

put profound words here

The offspring of a castaway, 'That little casterd" 

Its raining here.

one caper after another

http://www.google.com/search?q=caster&a … icrosoft:* take your pick, Thordike & Barnhart dictionary gives several definitions 1.person or thing that casts 2.a small wheel on a piece of furniture or cart 3.bottle containg salt, mustard,vinegar or other seasonings 4.a stand or rack.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

When I use to do a lot of angling a 'caster' was the pupae form of a maggot and an excellent bait but absolutely nothing to do with a guitar lol

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

lol roger thats a good one!

I think that Leo Fender in 1950 developed the Fender Broadcaster
then it was soon renamed the Telecaster...

Mark

This question is kinda hard to answer. Kinda like why all the yourapeeing folks put a "r" in a**. Sorry I just was not sure of the spelling of European. Is this correct?

Nela

tele means (in greek) - 'from a long way away', so maybe 'telecaster' means to 'cast' music out from a long way away. (since it was one of the first electric guitars and was a lot louder than the acoustic guitars, therefore could be heard from further away)

[url=http://www.myspace.com/rdxfunk]www.myspace.com/rdxfunk[/url]

Hi Nela ...lol.. If we didn't use "R" it would spell a word meaning a grey hairy
animal from africa..oops sorry critter.

Have a good one .      Mark

Russell I based this topic on the meaning of the word CASTER, sometimes also CASTOR (I believe that CASTOR is Latin for BEAVER). I studied Latin in high school but I forgot most of it.
MEA CULPA, MEA MAXIMA CULPA, I do write some really THINK TOPICS, and why not? I like them, because it gives really great answers.
There are so many things in life, like words we use everyday and we never stand still where that word originated. It is all so obvious, a word as TELECASTER. And yes Altex I forgot that TELE is a Greek word = from a long way, see TELESCOPE TELEPHONE (scope = a range of action or view) and (phone = voice). I am not hear to teach lol  The problem is that sudden I start thinking about something, in this case telecaster, even stratocaster, strato is a layer, (a second layer in the atmosphere above the Earth's surface). I find this genious to use such words for a piece of wood with strings.
Flatpicker ARE YOU FROM 1955? Because your nick sais FLATPICKER 55? I am from 1955.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Hi Gitaardocphil    Yep 1955 vintage  model  ...lol

With a few dinks

doc isnt castor part of a constellation castor and pollox (unsure of pollox spelling)?

now i like the thought of gently strumming someones beaver or is that caster? a friend of mine had a broadcaster and it didnt look a bit like a telecaster as it had 3 pick-ups and a shed full of knobs to play with if i remember correctly [it's old age catching up i'm afraid]

to flatpicker, ass is a kind of donkey, arse is what you sit on

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

whats the frequency kenneth ? - R E M

put profound words here