Topic: Much Respect to Led Zeppelin

Led Zeppelin has refused to give in to the Guitar Hero Video game nonsense by denying the gaming companies access to their music! The money generated from the brain mushing games has to be tempting (Look at all of the others that have granted the gaming companies access to their music). The remaining members of Zep(Plant, Page, Jones) said "it's not about the money". I've always been a huge Led Zeppelin fan but now I like 'em for new reasons. They have integrity, they care about the development of youths in art verses useless video games, and they refuse the gaming companies access to their master tapes. Led Zeppelin, thanks for caring, I salute you gents!

http://videogames.yahoo.com/events/play … -6/1232569

Give everything but up.

Re: Much Respect to Led Zeppelin

Very true! You want to play like Jimmy Page? Learn guitar, not some video game controller.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Don't you think that these games can bring the music of legendary bands to new ears? Or to give a small appreciation of what's involved in it?

I work beside many young folk who, while liking modern rock music, have never listened to the classics. Can you believe there are some who don't know who Jimmy Page or Jimi Hendrix are!

Fair play to Zep though for making a stand for what they think is right. I think I must be in a minority of people who, as I've gotten older, have like Led Zeppelin less and less. I love all those brilliant, classic riffs and Page is a true guitar hero, but a lot of the songs are just too self indulgent for me nowadays. Half way through a song and it tends to dissapear up it's own backside. Personal opinion.
hmm

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

alvee33 wrote:

Don't you think that these games can bring the music of legendary bands to new ears? Or to give a small appreciation of what's involved in it?

hmm

I kind of get what you're saying here Alvee but personally I believe a CD or a DVD is a much better tool of exposure for music. And yes a very, very small appreciation for what's involved in creating the music could be possible in these "games". A 21 fret guitar has 126 individual notes, a Guitar Hero "Guitar" has like 4 or 5 notes, right? My major beef isn't with bands/musicians trying to make a dollar but instead with the lack of young people buying musical instruments. Instead the youngsters are spending their(or their parents) money on video games. I cringe to think of the image 30years from now people buying a ticket to watch a video game concert!?!? The newspaper headline would read " Johnny so and so has the two fastest thumbs in the universe!"
I guess I'm just old fashioned in the modern electronic movement.

Give everything but up.

If you're going to play guitar at all, go buy a real one. A good ol' acoustic will never let you down in a power cut, and there's no chance of it's wiring messing up...

All I know is I feel better when I sing.
Burdens are lifted from me.
That's my voice rising.

I've got to disagree with my friend SouthPaw here. While I also detest video games and the wasted hours spent on them (and I am the father of a 16 yo vidiot), I believe that guitar hero in particular has increased CD sales and has likely increased interest in kids wanting to play a real guitar (like my son does).

An excerpt from a USA Today article:

A look at Nielsen SoundScan data for a dozen Guitar Hero II songs found that 11 out of 12 had increased sales in 2007, including:

• Cheap Trick's Surrender nearly tripled from 58,000 digital sales in 2006 to 161,000 in 2007.

• Kiss' Strutter went from 11,000 to 63,000 sold.

• The Pretenders' Tattooed Love Boys rose from 5,000 to 16,000.

• Only Danzig's Mother showed a drop, from 28,000 to 16,000.

"A lot of it is the classic guitar-type rock stuff form the Skynyrds to the new big monster bands like Queens of the Stone Age and Wolfmother," says Mike Davis of Universal Music (Bon Jovi, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Who). "Old and new with the classic rock sound seems to be the stuff that is doing super well. … It's a pretty hot subject these days."

And look at these stats of actual guitar sales:

2006         2,991,260    -9.6%    $1,151,290,000     -4.1%    $372
2005     3,302,670     0.2%     $1,158,592,050     13.3%      $350
2004     3,302,670     41.0%     $1,022,861,000     13.3%      $309
2003     2,341,551     20.5%     $903,261,000     -1.9%     $386
2002     1,942,625    11.4%    $921,057,000      -.13%     $529
2001     1,742,498     5.6%     $922,280,000      -0.1%    $529

A pretty impressive increase in '04 and '05 when guitar hero first came out. It's just numbers, with millions being introduced to music by guitar hero, even if only a small percentage pick up a real guitar, it leads to an increase.

More importantly for me, my son started to appreciate "good" music from these games (or maybe it just became cool to like Dad's music), before that he was really getting into the hip hop rap crap that I couldn't stand!!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I know a guy who's a good musician, he could learn guitar really fast if he wanted to.  But he spends all his time playing games, not only Guitar Hero and Rock Band.  Those games are cool, and do introduce you to some new music-I had never heard of Eric Johnson until GH3 (or Dragonforce, for that matter).  But this kid chooses to become ridiclous at a game, when if he put that much effort and time into a real guitar, he'd be decent by now.  You really don't appreciate the music until you try to play it for yourself.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Guitar hero's fun for about 30 minutes... then becomes pointless and repetitive. That said, I'm glad Zeppellin's not doing one. Not really surprised at aerosmith, but slash kind of dissapointed me

All You Need is Love smile

9 (edited by mixter102 2008-07-28 05:33:03)

Guitar Hero is just another way for people to play "Air Guitar", if they want to use a plastic Lp instead of a tennis racket thats fine with me. 

As Far as the music goes I think it's ok that artists have a new medium in which they can be heard,  Radio is dying,  CD sales are down, the internet is more about buzz than substance,  this is a way to gain an audiance.

Led Zeppelin have never licenced their music to tv or film, so this doesn't suprise me. "School of Rock" was a rare exception, and Jack Black had to Kiss Major But.

As far as Video games go "Guitar Hero" is preferable to the shoot'em ups, and crime sprees found on most of these games,  but in my humble opinion, the best thing you can do is shut the dang thing off and go outside.

SouthPaw41L wrote:
alvee33 wrote:

hmm

I kind of get what you're saying here Alvee but personally I believe a CD or a DVD is a much better tool of exposure for music. And yes a very, very small appreciation for what's involved in creating the music could be possible in these "games". A 21 fret guitar has 126 individual notes, a Guitar Hero "Guitar" has like 4 or 5 notes, right? My major beef isn't with bands/musicians trying to make a dollar but instead with the lack of young people buying musical instruments. Instead the youngsters are spending their(or their parents) money on video games. I cringe to think of the image 30years from now people buying a ticket to watch a video game concert!?!? The newspaper headline would read " Johnny so and so has the two fastest thumbs in the universe!"
I guess I'm just old fashioned in the modern electronic movement.

My problem here is that I can see both sides of this coin. Yes, I'd rather young people would pick up an actual guitar, but I can also see how this can get youngsters interested in guitar in the first place. However, I must also say that there is no greater inspiration than seeing a musician create the magic of music at first hand. I am one of those really sad guys who could sit in a pub and watch someone play guitar ALL NIGHT. Even if they're not that good, they're up there doing what I don't have the guts to do. YET.

I couldn't watch someone playing a video game all night. So I agree with you on that respect.

Is it just me or did I just talk myself round to your side of this discussion? lol

Al V,

I like what I'm hearing from you! And regarding your habit of watching a mediocre guitarist perform,  I am grateful for people like you, you keep me and all the other small time working musicians employed, thank you! You keep absorbing information from Chordie and you'll soon be the guy the bar patrons are watching. I understand what you're saying though. During my slow gigs there might 10 or less people watching/listening but 10 is better than 0 anyday. I look at it as quality over quantity. How's the old saying go; "If life hands you lemons, buy a bottle of tequilla and call a friend....."or words to that effect.

Secondly, if a person starting out on Guitar Hero/music video games evolves to a real guitar(or any other instrument), I'm all for it. I personally though, as a lifelong musician will most likely not spend my hard earned money on a musical video game for my children.(unless they really want it!?!?) At the same time I do not look down upon those who do.

Enjoying our discussion,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Thanks for the encouragement, Southpaw. This reminds me (in a roundabouit way) of family get togethers. When I go to my brothers or sisters for an evening of good old fashioned drinking and singing, the karaoke games usually get fired up on the games system. Great fun. But when they come to mine and I say, "Let's get the karaoke on", it's the guitar that comes off the wall and a great time is had also.

Guess which I prefer? wink

anybody actually try guitar hero?   

I haven't and don't really have any interest, but i'm am curious as to how close the game experience comes to the real thing?

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

I have... I actually thought it was pretty fun, although had nothing to do with actual guitar playing. But like I said after about 20 minutes I'm bored with it.

All You Need is Love smile

I agree with southpaw,I belive they want too retain thier musical dignity. Mixtor102,I think you missed the one tv spot that they did let thier there music play,I belive It was in the 2007 commercials for the General motors Cadillac,mabee they did not show that in stockton,but im in hollister,ca not too far away from you.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Got to agree with last rebel here. Yeah I@ve played it and it was fun. Nothing like a real guitar and got bored after a short while. I'd rather stink at playing my guitar than stink at kidding on I'm playing my guitar.

I used to go in the stiff little fingers forum a lot. Jake Burns the singer,guitarist and song writer pops in very frequently ( since his wife runs the forum)
He was saying how he and Bruce Foxton or might have been steve grantely the drummer write music for video games in their spare time.  I am probably wrong but they have tunes on the burnout games as well as a few more.
He said he done it for extra income, just like a wee sideline.
I see nothing wrong with bands doing this if they want to, especially the likes of Stiff Little Fingers that are not mega mega  big and loaded.
So is it only wrong that bands do this if they are succsseful? Or is it just wrong full stop for any musician to sell their music to the likes of gaming and advertising etc.

Led Zep probably have said no because they have got enough money, but I would put a bet on if they were in the same situation as jake Burns and having to still to annual tours to the same loyal fans, they would not hesitate to sell their songs.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

dino48 wrote:

I agree with southpaw,I belive they want too retain thier musical dignity. Mixtor102,I think you missed the one tv spot that they did let thier there music play,I belive It was in the 2007 commercials for the General motors Cadillac,mabee they did not show that in stockton,but im in hollister,ca not too far away from you.

After some further research I find they have been more relaxed about giving songs to Tv and Comercial ventures in reacent years,  But they did have a rep for not licencing songs out.

One thing I found that was kind of cool is a rollercoaster.   This would be a heck of alot better than a video game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin_-_The_Ride

mixter102 wrote:

Led Zeppelin have never licensed their music to tv or film, so this doesn't surprise me. "School of Rock" was a rare exception, and Jack Black had to Kiss Major But.

Led Zeppelin has licensed their music out! Kashmir was redone for the movie Godzilla.
                                                                                                                      getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

alvee33 wrote:

Got to agree with last rebel here. Yeah I@ve played it and it was fun. Nothing like a real guitar and got bored after a short while. I'd rather stink at playing my guitar than stink at kidding on I'm playing my guitar.

yes, I think I'd rather go for the real stink too!

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix