Topic: IS THERE A REASON?

Is there a reason why HARD ROCK ballads are so popular? Some bands like EXTREME are only known by that one smash hit "MORE THAN WORDS" and am I correct if I say that all other album tracks remain in the shadow?
- SCORPIONS = "still loving you" & "wind of change"
- METALLICA = "nothing else matters
- GUNS 'N ROSES = "November Rain" "Don't Cry"
- DEEP PURPLE = "Child in Time" after 35 years still very high ranked in every top 10 in the world, even more successfully than SMOKE ON THE WATER
- LED ZEPPELIN = "Stairway to Heaven" one of the most played songs in the world on radio

IS THERE A LOGICAL EXPLANATION?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: IS THERE A REASON?

In some cases (IMO especially Extreme and the Scorpions) because the ballads are their best effort. Although I haven't listened to either one of those albums in years, the rest of those songs were mediocre (not that I'm a fan of the ballads either).
I disagree with your assesment of Deep Purple. When I think of Deep Purple (and my youth!) I think of Highway Star and My Woman from Tokyo before I think of Child in Time. Same with GNR; I think of Sweet Child Of Mine, Paradise City and lots of others (although both of the songs you mention I also like.). I certainly don't think the ballads defined GNR.
Stairway to Heaven is just a well written masterpiece that even classic rock radio can't make me hate. That's just a beautifully crafted song.

You do have an excellent point about ballads though. It seems that 80's metal was defined by ballads. It was as if they made their records and then the music company said "We need a ballad on this record". Every band had to have that Bic Lighter ballad; seems like it was a formula or something to go with the pretty, extremely feminine looking lead singer.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

The ballads draw hot chicks to the shows. Guys like to be around hot chicks.

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

The ballads draw hot chicks to the shows. Guys like to be around hot chicks.

Wow, thanks for clearing that up. It does always come back to that. You have a knack for cutting through all the crap and getting to the heart of the issue. You must be a big Freud fan as well.
Thanks for the laugh

Elvis Costello

if the heavy rock bands done nothing but heavy fast songs they would not be able to rest their vocal cords much at a gig, so they do a ballad or two lol

another reason is:

they have to play ballads in a gig so they can see all those lighters getting lit and waving them about  inthe air. This lets the band see who all the smokers are so they can scrounge some cigarettes.

another reason:

they have planned this so the parents of the younger fans will think it is ok for their offspring to go see them since they do such a lovely song or two.

and the other reason which has been said. Girls love love songs and guy love girls.

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

There is no reason at all why hair ballads are popular.  They should not be at all, as they are full of suck.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

There is no reason at all why hair ballads are popular.  They should not be at all, as they are full of suck.

Not a bad name for a band... "Full of Suck"

Elvis Costello

reminds me of the scene in Spinal Tap where Nigel is describing the interweaving lines in his trilogy in D Minor, "the saddest of all the keys".   If you saw it, you remember the name.

Southpaw got it right: girls, girls, girls.  There is no other explanation for Winger.

and Aerosmith certainly makes a good living off the power ballad.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

I remember that scene well. He's at the piano. And yes a very interesting name for the song. All kidding aside, that was a beautiful piece he was playing

Elvis Costello