Re: Proposed Forum Rules . . . please comment

Hi, everyone - Still looking for more comments on the proposed forum rules.

Please offer your thoughts on the list at the top of this thread.
Thanks, James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Gosh, darn it anyways, I guess i'll have to watch my potty mouth sometimes it can be a real corker,shoot fire,my mom says I'm a rotten buggar.

Later Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

hi james spot on ,rules keep things flowing better,if anyone is'nt sure about a topic they're posting ,an email to admin would clear any worries,then there'd be no need for slapped wrists....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

While this is a public forum, the owners of the site have the right to moderate the content. I don't think that is denying freedom of speech, but rather encouraging a sense of decorum. 
Chat/IM is much more difficult to moderate and sometimes attracts undesirable elements. 

A good set of rules and easy to stick to for most people.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

Thanks for commentary, gentlemen.

Decorum - now there's a marvelous word!
Decorum, Common Sense, Tact  - - - that's what these proposed rules are all about.

Hi all

As far as i can tell everyone on chordie sails straight down the middle of the road as far as posting is concerned so what would concern me is that if there were boundaries it encourages people to 'explore' them and that would surely have the opposite effect?

Two of my songs so far in the songwriting section have sparked debates, one about religion and one about either politics or current affairs.  One of the comments was that:

"Any song that brings up this amount of debate / discussion has to be great. That's what music is all about".

That was from an administrator!

Long live freedom of choice!!!!

cool

I'm the son of rage and love

I understand what you are saying, bonedaddy.

The intention here is not to 'ban' entire topics.  Rather, it is to remind people that if any discussion degenerates into pointless squabbling then the topic will be closed or zapped.

I agree that any song that stimulates thoughtful discussion is a good thing.

James

I think that most first timers that come here and read what has been said in the forum realize quickly that this forum is a step above other forums..Thats the reason I come here everyday and see whats happening...This is the only place that I feel is soley about the love of playing music...Id like to say thanks to Chordie and all the people on Chordie for making me feel welcome... smile

Hi
If we have a set of rules or guidelines like have been put forward to bring us inline with whats the done thing in other forums.
Then I think we should have another an "Introduced Yourself" channel under a separate title. Where new members if they liked could go to get start posting etc. The rules could be a Sticky at the top.
I think this  has brought up before and is whats is done in alot forums and works quite well.
Anyway just and idea.....

Ark

thanks for all the tabbers, and thanks for all the moderators.

put profound words here

arkady wrote:

Hi
If we have a set of rules or guidelines like have been put forward to bring us inline with whats the done thing in other forums.
Then I think we should have another an "Introduced Yourself" channel under a separate title. Where new members if they liked could go to get start posting etc. The rules could be a Sticky at the top.
I think this  has brought up before and is whats is done in alot forums and works quite well.
Anyway just and idea.....

Ark

I like the idea of this too.
A problem I have seen in other forums is when people go in to introduce themselves people start saying welcome etc there, then it gets all mixed up.
It would be good to have just name, age, where yer from, work as, number of years playing, what you play, how you found out about chordie.
this is possible by the use of moderaters moderating it and taking out anything that is just chat.

this could be done anytime as long as folk dont get too annoyed if they say hello to someone then find their post has been taken out. So you could have  INTRODUCE YOURSELF thread and another SAY HELLO TO THE FORUM  thread.

good idea ark but this thread is about the proposed dos and donts that james has set out.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Look at the mess the USA and the UK are in at the moment, why?, too many rules, too many people tinkering and too many people pushing forward to a better way of life when in fact they are bringing us all to our knees.

Sorry for the rant but Chordie is and always has been a superb music site and I for one would like it left alone.

Rob.

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

charlotte wrote:

Look at the mess the USA and the UK are in at the moment, why?, too many rules, too many people tinkering and too many people pushing forward to a better way of life when in fact they are bringing us all to our knees.

Sorry for the rant but Chordie is and always has been a superb music site and I for one would like it left alone.

Rob.

Nothing is changing, we're just posting a sticky with our guidlines  for those new members who come on board.

Give everything but up.

charlotte wrote:

Rob.

the usa and uk???? take a look at zimbabwie, afghanistan, iraq, china, south africa, in fact lets look at the world lol

like southpaw said, nothing is changing it is more or less what we moderate on. A few have asked for these and since probably every well run forum has got them we will too.
we can still all enjoy the site as much as we do just now.

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending