Topic: Little Wing

Should this song be played with your fingers?

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Re: Little Wing

if you mean as opposed to barre chords? yes, if you can.
if you mean as opposed to toes, to each his own.

Jimi played the G, F, Am and Bb forms wrapping his thumb over the top on the E string.  That allowed him to use his pinky extensively.  The Gadd9 Aadd9 Gadd9 Fadd9 lick uses the thumb over the top, pinky adding the 9th. Also the double octave E is thumb over the 6th string, middle finger on the 1st and slide down from the 12th fret.  great sound and immediately identifiable as the beginning of Little Wing.  My favorite rhythm track to play on a strat.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

No, I mean without a pick.

Switchfoot

never tried it that way.

-Jimi Hendrix

tonydr wrote:

never tried it that way.

Really? Because there's a bunch of chords you finger with skipped strings, ie 12xxx1212.  I think using my fingers migh tbe easier than trying to deaden the other strings.

Switchfoot

I deaden the strings with my finger tips or the palm of my strumming hand,  but some of the reaches off the Am are out of my league. 

Jimi played all the original parts with a pick, as far as know.  There are spots where you can supplement with your middle ring and pinky fingers to add melody notes to the chords.  There are so many covers, someone must have a finger pick version. Clapton and Allman play it very strait up on the Layla album, with some great solo work. SRV used a pick at 90 mph.   I don't remember if Hiram Bullock, who just passed away last friday from cancer, might have. Check it out on Sting's Nothing Like the Sun.

-Jimi Hendrix