Topic: Drinking and driving

This is not a sob story,but a sober story(as in I'm not drunk I'm sober)

Well it happened to me last Saturday night.
I went to a friends pig roast, spent the day eating great food and mixing with good friends
(no guitars)and drinking Labatts Light beer. I stopped drinking before midnight.I didn't drink a lot but as you will hear I drank enough that it wasn't all out of my system when I left at about 1:30 AM. I was not staggering or slurring my speech and felt just fine to drive,which is why I drove.
5 minutes out I was pulled over by the local police and charged with impaired driving at which time I was handcuffed and taken to the police station for a breathalizer which I failed. I blew.120 the limit is .08, Not over by a lot but enough.
After 1 hour they even drove 15 miles to take me home as I think they felt kinda bad for me cause I was really OK.But...I blew over the limit and the law is the law.
I will be going to court Sept.22/08 to fight it as I was pulled over for no reason and if I loose than I have big problems because Ontario has the toughest drinking and driving laws in North America.
I am not condoning drinking and driving.I rarely even drink.
I am not looking for sympathy as I said in one of my songs"Now I've made my bed"
I am not ranting about what happened as I said in another song I wrote"Just trying to explain my point of view".

Moral of the story...Please don't drink and drive.The bottom line is the law is the law, even if
you don't get in an accident and hurt somebody or yourself.
Enclosed is a link that explains all the penalties I must face if found guilty. I don't know where everybody lives but if you live in Ontario take note of this link.Where ever you live check the local law to see what you will face should you over indulge.
This was a heck of a gamble that I lost(Go Figure) sad
Don't let it happen to you.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety … eaklaw.htm
Break The Law, Pay The Price
KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Re: Drinking and driving

Man, I feel for you. I quit drinking several years ago when I discovered just how much $$$$$ I was pi**ing away. I never drank because I needed a drink but since my work keeps me away from home so much I always ended up somewhere with a drink in my hand. Being away from home, I didn't have anyone to call if I needed a ride and I took more chances than I should have. I never was stopped and don't believe I was ever driving when I was outta control BUT, like you, I probally could not have passed a breath test. Kinda glad I give it up - also gave up smoking so I guess I'm doing ok. Best of luck to you.

Nela

Thanks Nela smile
I rarely drink myself now a days. In my youth I did my share like yourself and millions of others.
I guess that's why the laws are so tough today. Too many sad endings on the roads.At least I might have a good shot at quitting smoking......I figure I won't be able to afford it  lol

KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

KAP

I'm sorry to hear about your predicament ... I feel for you ... I'm a cop and the majority of the time you have people say they did nothing wrong ... I commend you for owning up to your mistake ... a cop has grounds to pull you over for even the most minor of infractions, i.e. crossing the double line (all you have to do is cross it once), failure to use your directional during a lane change or when turning, failure to stop completely at a stop sign (california roll), not dimming your lights to oncoming traffic, etc ... there a literally HUNDREDS of violations they can use to pull you over ... I actually drove behind a friend of mine one time long ago and he asked me to tell him what I could have pulled him over for ... after he got to where he was going, I told him I could have pulled you over for 4 things ...  and he had only driven about 2 miles ... but in your defense you might not have done anything wrong or thought you didnt do anything wrong ... the world is full of "bad" cops I know and they give the decent ones a bad name ... I hope Ontario is lenient on you but as you said, I hope this was a wake-up call for you ... I know how drinking and driving can effect a family first hand ....

Now my alcohol lecture lol

Alcohol effects people differently depending on their size, ability to handle alcohol, etc ... some may feel like they can drive but the BAC (blood alcohol content) in their blood won't lie ... and some people fail to realize 0.12 is 12% of your blood is alcohol ... when you put it into context it makes you realize that's quite a bit and it does take a while for it to get out of your system ... the rationale is 1 drink (unit) = 1 hour out of your system ... so if your hammering beers the alcohol isnt getting out of your system ... and contrary to popular belief, slamming caffeine wont sober you up ... now me, I'm a light weight ... I drink 3 beers and I'll start buzzing ... and I'm 6'2/205 you'd think I could handle more but not true whereas a friend of mine she can drink twice as much as me and will start buzzing ... go figure!

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

5 (edited by dino48 2008-08-01 05:36:11)

Hi kap54,I got a dui in 1991,I had a low count likeyours as I only had three beers.I know what you are going through.Your laws are alot like california laws.I paid a fine of $1,500.00,$700.00 for a lawyer,$400.00 for the school. My auto ins tripledfor three years.I got 48 hours jail time{I got to do community service instead],lost my licence for 3 months,probation for one year[not formal]. Ilearned a huge and expensive lesson.I still like too go too bbqs etc.,and have acouple of beers,but if someone else is not going too drive or I cant get a taxi I just do not go. Ihope you will come out ok and win your case.I think you have learned a lesson already. Iwish you luck.         dino                                           ps I worked with a fellow who came here from ecudor,he told me that down there they  put you in front off a firing squad and you are history . talk about tough.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Bummer ... Reminder to us all Kap ... I hope all works out for you in sept.
                  Didn't know Mounties horses were so quick!!

p.s Good news I know few Jailhouse songs.   rgds  Mark

Thanks all. Posting it does make me feel a little better as only work and my lawyers know about this as of now.
I'm hoping,as Flatpicker referred to that this will remind someone to not drive while drinking.
Thanks for your input Tim.You have an honorable job and you sound like your one of the good cops.  smile
At least I don't live in Equador  lol . As for our horses....their fast enough and if I get jail time(I doubt it) I'm gonna get me some "pope on a rope soap" to help watch my back lol

Don't drink and drive!!!

KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Good reminder.  Thanks for posting it.  Last party I was at, I took it easy and drove home afterwards.  Folks asked whether I wanted another beer, but I didn't.  My lawyer was at the same party and he was hammered.  smile He was camping there for the night, though. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Well KAP54, you have put yourself into a predicament.  It is good that your drive home did not result in carnage.

I live in a college town and there are far too many tragic events due to drunken driving.  The laws are stiff because the consequences of drunken driving are severe.

Years ago, when I was a newspaper reporter, I got to know some people who are active in MADD (Mothers Against Drunk Driving).  It was heartbreaking to hear their stories but encouraging that they had turned their grief to efforts to educate everyone and promote driver safety.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

hi kap i hope you go on all right,i was pulled over once coming from a disco,the street lights were bright and i forgot to switch my lights on,it was'nt till i was driving out of the lights that that i realised i had'nt turned them on, next blue lights flashing,i pulled over ,i apoligised he asked me if i'd been drinking,i said yes,1 bottle of double diamond,he said i believe you thousands wouldnt ,and let me go,phew was my heart pumping.all the best....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Hi y'all,

I'm a cop too in my spare time so I have seen first hand what can happen.  Sorry it happened to you, KAP you seem like a nice guy but the law is there for a reason.

hang tough ;-)

I'm the son of rage and love

Hi Kenny,

Sorry about your plight. It is all too easy at a party, to have sufficient alcohol to exceed the limit, although still be in full control of your faculties.

Reading through the penalties in your part of the world is like reading a horror story, they are very harsh. I can only assume that there have been a great number of tragedies through drink driving to have resulted in such draconian punishment.

I am going to a pub quiz shortly, so I think I will stick to a couple of shandies and Coca Cola tonight.

My thought are with you.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thanks again all. smile
Starting 2 weeks holidays today.
Me thinks I'll ponder the next phase if I loose in court.
MADD is a good program and I have always agreed with there philosophy.
No-one to  blame but me.
I'm thinking theres a song in there somewhere.
KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

would be a very good time to write a song Kap.
maybe start it before court and finish it after the case. then you will have all your feeling wrote down while going through it all.

I have a thing about drink driving. I have seen many people harmed by it, and some were just over the limit and no more. Was it the drink to blame though? no one could say for sure. Sober people have bad accidents too, some a lot worse than a drink driver would do with speeding at 120mph and causing huge pile ups.

I used to have 2, sometimes 3 pints and drive an hour or so after it, i felt ok to drive but i bet i have probably been over the limit once or twice. In the past 5 years I will not drink anything at all if driving because sometimes when I drink a pint I can feel the effect of alcohol, I may be under the limit and fit to drive but I tihnk if someone feels the effect of anything in the slightest then they shouldnt. Oh how my mind changes the older I get, changing for the good though I think, or changing for the safer

A few folk I know still have a few pints and drive, some in ireland. they live that far away from the pub that it costs too much for a taxi and they are on quiet country roads so they think it is ok.

but good luck to you in court, I am sure we have all done what you have done sometime without even realising you were ( in the eyes of the law) not fit to drive.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I would never be so shallow as to condone drinking and driving but a new item has taken over the lead for causing motor vehicle accidents in the United States; cell phone use in vehicles..............

Give everything but up.

Cell phones may be worse than drinking.  Phones are one of my pet peeves.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Cell phones,Make-up,Good Tunes on the radio,I'm guessing the list for taking your mind off the road while driving is pretty big.Bottom line is when you are behind the wheel you are the one responsible for your actions and you must drive safely...for everyones benefit smile

Hey Ken...I got a song in the works that I was gonna finish but I like your idea better.Good Call smile
It's kinda Hank Williams Jr at this point. A beer drinking song...Go figure.But it'll have the right message.
Let your friends know that I was driving the back road when I was pulled over so they are not as safe as they think.

KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

18 (edited by NELA 2008-08-01 23:28:15)

Ok, so ya'll don't like people using cell phones. Why? Where will it stop? Will the radio be next? CD player? What about the air conditioner? The defroster? You ever had to take your hands off the wheel just to blow the horn. Will that be next? What about life's greatest pleasures - picking your nose or scratching your a**? Is that soon to against the law? Hmmmm, better look at the dash to see just where the light switch is cause it's getting dark, hope thats not breaking the law.
What about driving to work each and every morning and seeing women putting on make-up? How many of ya'll drive down the road drinking your morning coffee? How about a cold drink? Eating a candy bar. Talking to someone in the back seat? Better not take my eyes off the road to check my rearview mirror - could cause an accident.

NOW - don't get me wrong. I'm not against safety. I got my 1st cell phone in 1994 when there were very few people using them - and I did get some strange looks while talking and driving back then. I just can't see any difference in using a phone while driving than searching for a good listening radio station. NOW I do have a problem with driving and text messageing, reading a newspaper, putting on make-up, people driving with a dog sitting in there laps. Everyone should be responsible for there actions but they are not.

How many of ya'll know just how this law came to be. Or the seatbelt law? Simply by the insurance companies lobbeying our trusted lawmakers to get laws passed because they think they may have to pay additional claims for accidents. It's about the $$$$$ insurance companies have to pay out and not about people being hurt or killed. The insurance company buy's off a congressman and poof a new law is born. Did you get to vote on this law? Were you just told this is the way it's gonna be so you better like it? What else are we gonna loose?

Did ya'll know some people are make a whole lotta $$$$$ selling the hands free units? How much of that do you think is getting passed along "under the table"?

Yes, making cell phone be hands free could be a great thing. My rant is where will it end?

Nela

Gotta go and buy some stock in the hand free accessories market.

I ride my bicycle to work and back most days.  I also ride here and there for fun.  I don't zoom in and out of traffic like an urban bike messenger - I ride safely and follow all traffic laws (with my bike helmet strapped around my brain).

People talking on cell phones scare me - they are NOT paying full attention to the ever-changing flow of traffic.  I have had close calls with drivers who are entirely too wrapped up their conversations.

Also, I support seat belt laws.  Minor incidents can have dire consequences for people who are not properly restrained.

Driving is an inherently risky activity - alcohol, distractions, excessive speed, and foolhardy driving increase the risks tremendously.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

James McCormick wrote:

Also, I support seat belt laws.  Minor incidents can have dire consequences for people who are not properly restrained.

It's ironically funny(i.e. absurdly stupid) how in my home state of Florida, a driver can be issued a traffic violation for not wearing their seat belt but less than 1/2 of all the school buses in the state aren't even equipped with seat belts. It's a stupid law that gives the police and prosecutors a firmer leg to stand on in situations that require probable cause. Still yet, my children, wife, and I  wear our seat belts . Not out of fear from the local fuzz writing us a citation but simply because we feel a little safer with harness' attached....I'm just sayin'.........

Give everything but up.

21 (edited by Tim0473 2008-08-02 01:53:19)

Thats true SP .. I always wondered why school buses don't have seatbelts ... now me, I've never pulled someone over for not wearing a seatbelt (then again I've never encountered that) but the idea of driving WITHOUT  seatbelt IMO is nuts ... I dont know how people do it ... but I do remember back in the 70's when I was little tyke that we'd be jumping around in the backseat of my parents Maverick and up on the back dash waving at cars ... my Dad would hit the breaks and we'd go flying to the backseat and get up and tell him to do it again

Funny I wouldn't be caught dead doing that these days neutral

NELA wrote:

Ok, so ya'll don't like people using cell phones. Why? Where will it stop?
Nela

Gotta go and buy some stock in the hand free accessories market.

Hi  Nela,

firstly I agree on the seat belt law with you. It is your own safety if you do not wear one but the reason they did introduce it was so doctors and hospitals did not have to deal wit hso many serious injuries. It is a proven fact that seat belts reduce the amount of head smashing through the window. They also cause a lot more chest problems too!

now, cell phones! well, if you are talking to someone on a phone while driving your full attention is not on the driving, this too has been proven. Even if talking to a passanger in the car it can put you off driving but wit ha passanger in the car they can see why you are keeping quiet sometimes to consentrate more on the road. A person a the end of a phone cannot see what you are doing. And even if you say hold on a minute to the person at the other end so you can do something needing done quickly, you have a phone in your hand which will limit to what your hands can do at the steering wheel.
I am all for banning phones in cars, even hands free. in fact I would just ban all mobile phones and get back to the good days when we never had any, give me a CB radio anyday.

Now another question....where will it stop??? good question! I would ban smoking from cars, I would ban make up from cars, Noisy kids from cars, people that go 20% over any speed limit, ( yep, im banning myself here lol ) dogs that run about the seats should also be banned.

Cars can be very dangerous things and if all these were cut out they would be safer for the driver other drivers, cyclists and pedestrains.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

23 (edited by NELA 2008-08-02 15:44:45)

Dat's wut I'm sayin'. Where will it end? I'm not against good judgement or safety. Hands free use of a cell phone is a good thing. So is the seatbelt law. Now what would you do if next week you was told that driving your car while listening to a radio (or CD) was in violation of a new law.
You just stopped for gas and as you left the service station you bought a cold drink and a bag of 'tater chips. As you were driving away, and nobody was looking, you reached over and turned on your radio (real sneaky like cause it's against the law, now) and the 1st thing you hear is that drinking a coke and eating 'tater chips while driving is against the law. Hmmmm, where will it end?

And somebody please tell be what the difference is in holding a cell phone up to your ear while talking and holding a CB radio mike up to your mouth and talking> I don't understand 'dis one.

This mess all started years ago when, for safety reasons, they removed the dimmer switch's from the floorboards of all cars and placed the switch on the turn signal. This smart move really cause a lotta accidents as it took awhile for some people to learn that they could dim their lights with their hand and not have to use their foot. Sometime's change is not a good thang.

Nela

Tim0473 wrote:

Thats true SP .. I always wondered why school buses don't have seatbelts ... now me, I've never pulled someone over for not wearing a seatbelt (then again I've never encountered that) but the idea of driving WITHOUT  seatbelt IMO is nuts ... I dont know how people do it ... but I do remember back in the 70's when I was little tyke that we'd be jumping around in the backseat of my parents Maverick and up on the back dash waving at cars ... my Dad would hit the breaks and we'd go flying to the backseat and get up and tell him to do it again

Funny I wouldn't be caught dead doing that these days neutral

Tim,
   I meant no disrepect to your or your fellow officers with my "fuzz" reference. I have the utmost respect for what you do. I feel as though officers of the law and school teachers have 2 of the most important jobs in the universe. Thanks for your service. And I too have many fond memories of an old Ford Maverick. My very first car was indeed a Maverick!!( white w/ blue pin stripes, 2 door, straight 6, w/blue interior ) I saw one on the road the other day and I immediately remebered making out with a gal named Missy and throwing up all over the inside of my drivers side door. I swished my mouth out with beer (Shaeffers), chomped down a handful of certs, but the moment was ruined. She got out of the car and called someone to pick her up and I spent the night in the parking lot of my high school, in my Maverick, alone!

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

No worries SP ... I know a lot of people have differing opinions on cops lol ... I'm a military cop so I dont get it as bad as civilian cops ... it's actually a pretty thankless job; whenever your around your hasseling them, and when your not around and something happens they think your off somewhere ignoring society  ... but GREAT story on your Maverick lol ... my Dad's was a gold color Maverick ... I remember that thing like yesterday!  And the Schaefer referrence was top notch!  That's what my Dad used to drink, but at the time of the Maverick it was Pabst Blue Ribbon tongue