Topic: what are some good songs to learn as a beginner

i am just starting out and i cant read TABS so what are some good songs for me to learn

Re: what are some good songs to learn as a beginner

Yes you can.  People overthink what they're looking at with tabs-all they are are numbers that show you what number fret you play on.  Example, let's take an E major chord (I'm assuming you know some chords).  The tab for an E major picked one note at a time from low to high would look like this: 
e                   0
B               0
G            1
D        2
A     2
E  0

Also, everyone always asks about begginer songs.  It depends what kind of music you like.  I could recommend some beginner songs that I like if you want.  I highly recommend buying a songbook with wither an accompanying CD or DVD, or lessons on each song.  A lot of songbooks for guitar will give you the tablature and notation transcriptions of the song as well as the chords.  Good luck, if you have any questions send me a message on here.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

thank you very much

What's your favorite style of music and maybe we can help better.  It's much easier if you know the tune.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

i like all types of music its hard for me to choose a favorite

Welcome to Chordie sunraiz. Check out the "easy songs" and "absolute beginner" songbooks listed in the public books tab. I am sure you will fines tunes you like and can play!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

thank you i actually did find one song i can play thanks

ac/dc's good for starting, try back in black ...
um let's see level by the raconteurs, .45 by shinedown, come as you are by nirvana, sweet home alabama's pretty simple (thats lynyrd skynyrd)...
anyway hope that helps some

All You Need is Love smile

Anything by Joe Satriani would be easy for you tongue

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

Hi sunraiz,Topdown pointed you in the right direction,you will find alot of songs in that area. You might also try some songs  by creedence clearwater, buddy holly, Neil diamond and the beatles. welcome too chordie.                                                        dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I know one really easy song but its everytime we touch be cascada. great in tab but cvan b in chords too.

{{***~MuZiK LuVeR~***}}

Sunriaz, you hit the right spot for information. There's a whole lotta good stuff here for you. You want some easy songs to learn - well what type of music do you like? For a biginner I would suggest learning the chords and sticking tp playing rythem until you develope hand strength and toughen up your fingers. Scales and modes aer VERY important to learn but try to get the basics down first. There are thousands and thousands of songs out there that only require 2 or 3 chords. And the good thing is you can transpose any song to the chords you know. If you only know 3 open chords, say G, C and D you could play forever. Now that would get a little boring but it could be done. Learn the open position chords - G, C & D or D, G & A or A, D & E. These are the simplest chords to learn to use. Once you are able to make and change chords easily you will be ready to move forward. Don't rush yourself, either. Study hard, practice hard and learn correctly.

Nela

13 (edited by BBDGus 2008-08-06 05:34:52)

Hello Sunraiz
Welcome to the site, and at first you're not gonna like the stuff you play but eventually you gonna love it just because is going to be the first songs you learned
you can start out with
House of the rising sun  : the Animals
time of your life by green day If you play it right sound really good
Knocking on heavens door : Bob Dylan version
Horse with no name 2 chords only the rithm is all in the strumming
but first I have to agree with Nela start out knowing the chords and transition smoth and some strumming patterns,, and you'll be on your way to learn your songs

don't get discouraged  because Guitar is not easy ,,
in my opinnion guitar is a very tricky instrument because you'll learn some easy song in no time but , to take it another level,, it may take you a Whole life, but if you really like it you're on safe ground
I'm a begginer too

I hope it helps:-)

take care and Good luck

sunraiz,
If you can play G, Am, Em, and D. Then I know two songs you can play real good with very little
practice. Lady In Black by Uriah Heep is Am, and G, throughout the whole song. Maggie's Farm by
Bob Dylan is G, Em, and D, throughout the whole song. There's two songs you can get started on
right away. You should be able to play these well within a reasonable amount of time. Good luck!
                                                                                                                                getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

Hello everyone...i'm a newbie and i'd like to go back in learning guitar playing, i hope its not too late to learn guitar playing since i'm a bit old now..not really old though..!:) when i was a teen i used to play some easy chords but i stopped when i started working no time to play...so i already forgot some of my chords and i'm really anxious to go back playing since i'm here in Saudi getting bored. Please help me...!!

First i will be buying my own guitar which is better Nylon or the string guitar? I love playing soft music, like flucking?..correct me if i'm wrong...and sometimes strumming.  What song is best for me to start studying if i want to do the flucking...??

You are all great guys....and thank you so much for all the help...looking forward for your replies..Have a Nice Guitar Playing day... smile wink