Topic: GOOD OLD HO-DOWN!!!

i love bluegrass music and fingerpicking any ideas for some artists???

There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and alcohol!

Re: GOOD OLD HO-DOWN!!!

wilcovecrue wrote:

i love bluegrass music and fingerpicking any ideas for some artists???

Welcome to Chordie, A local Bluegrass band I came across here in Nova Scotia is the Luster Brothers and will not dissapoint a bluegrass fan.
    I havent Googled them yet but will.

Take Care..,Badeye   cool

one caper after another

Hi Wil most of the old bluegrass tunes are done with a flat pick but I find played
at a slower tempo and finger picked they sound great...like "wildwood flower A.P.Carter"
ol rockin chair stuff...:o

thankyou all, il be sure to look into that, im going to have to try this flat picking, sound like it could open new doors smile

Hi Wil check out you tube punch in Flat picking ...loads of lessons on there.. Have a look at
folks like Norman Blake,Tony Rice,Orrin star,Eric Thompson ... Have fun   

Mark big_smile

ok, will do. il let ya know how i get on. thanks m8

Hey man, check out Rayna Gellert & Susie Goehring...they have a CD called "Starch and Iron" its fiddle and guitar. I think its more Old-time then bluegrass though, amazing though. Rayna is also in the band "Uncle Earl" so look them up as well.

I could give you names of some local bands but you would have to see them live... the best bluegrass bands/players and those who play in the barn for family reunions and weddings. Bluegrass just was not made to be recorded, it does not do it justice.

If you want to play it, find people to jam with. You will learn a lot from very smart people.
-A-

Mandolin>guitar

Bluegrass is just highland music with an American twist.  I have long thought that a good highland fiddler would feel right at home on stage with a bluegrass band. 

There are many, many, many bluegrass bands.  Just go to cdbaby and search on bluegrass.  You'll find enough to make your head spin. 

My current favorite is Bluegrass Brothers from Roanoke, Virginia.  Seldom Scene are terrific.  Some old Johnson Mountain Boys.  The last two are national/international acts who would have albums available on Amazon or other large music retailer. 

Another thing that Bela Fleck of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones helped to get kicked off is called "New Grass".  His band New Grass Revival is terrific.  I particularly recommend the albums Commonwealth and On The Boulevard.  They do very different topics than the usual bluegrass fodder, but still keep the bluegrass sound alive and well. 

You may also want to check out bluegrass genre stations on www.pandora.com (a great free internet radio service).  It pulls from the entire Amazon stable so you can find some new musicians and sounds that may interest you.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

In no particular order, here's a few grassers I have on my iPod.  Most are pure grassers.  Some stray from the pure bluegrass sound a bit.

Lonesome River Band
Seldom Scene
Chatam County Line
Hackensaw Boys
Bela Fleck
Yonder Mountain Sring Band
Blue Highway
Rhonda Vincent
Stanley Brothers/Original Clinch Mountain Boys (Carter Stanley is deceased)
Ralph Stanley and The Clinch Mountain Boys
Doc Watson
Bill Monroe (deceased)
Earl Scruggs
Bridgewater Band
Del McCoury
The Dillards
Alison Kraus
Gillian Welch
The Greencards
Jerry Douglas
Sam Bush
John Cowan
Peter Rowan
Tony Rice
Mountain Heart
Nickel Creek
Ricky Scaggs
The Wilders
Norman Blake

Please talk slowly I don't hear good any more.

I think Highland, lowland, Irish and English traditions have influenced Old Time and Bluegrass. The BBC did a programme some years ago called "Bringing it all Back Home", looking at the tradition. They produced a double CD with artists such as Ricky Skaggs, Davy Spillane, Elvis Costello, Dolores Keane, Emmylou Harris and the Everly's. ( See http://www.answers.com/topic/bringing-i … k-home-bbc for more detail.)

We have our own Appalachian and Bluegrass Festival every September at the Ulster/American Folk park. I have managed to miss it for the past three years. If you're interested, this year's programme is at

http://www.bluegrassomagh.com/

BTW Zurf, Pandora is now only available to those within the US. I used to have my own bluegrass/ newgrass channels on it, but was denied access because of licensing issues. It is a great site!

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

livebaitman...oh what a list....what stringed instruments where made for....god bless
           just love strings ...:lol:

Not strictly bluegrass, but a band I am really digging lately is The Waybacks. Call it Americana, Folk, Roots, whatever, the lead, James Nash, has incredible guitar skills. Stand up bass, mando and fiddle - that's bluegrass enough for me. smile

Check 'em out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbQuUX9F8RI

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

alansheeran wrote:

BTW Zurf, Pandora is now only available to those within the US. I used to have my own bluegrass/ newgrass channels on it, but was denied access because of licensing issues. It is a great site!

I wasn't aware of that limitation.  Sorry for mentioning something many of you can't access. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Topdown - You are exactly right about the Waybacks!  I did not list them as grassers because they are so versatile.  James Nash may well be the the best I have ever seen.  Did you by any chance see them do Zep II with John Cowan and company on the Hillside at Merlefest this year?  Unbelievable!

Now, lets hear it for the Avett Brothers - the ultimate in versitility!  Not as musicians necessarily (although Seth picks a pretty mean Martin dred) but as songwriters and live entertainers.  Been following them for years.  The most unclassifiable band out there IMO.  Apparently Rick Rubin thinks highly of them too.  Making NC proud!

livebaitman wrote:

Topdown - You are exactly right about the Waybacks!  I did not list them as grassers because they are so versatile.  James Nash may well be the the best I have ever seen.  Did you by any chance see them do Zep II with John Cowan and company on the Hillside at Merlefest this year?  Unbelievable!

Now, lets hear it for the Avett Brothers - the ultimate in versitility!  Not as musicians necessarily (although Seth picks a pretty mean Martin dred) but as songwriters and live entertainers.  Been following them for years.  The most unclassifiable band out there IMO.  Apparently Rick Rubin thinks highly of them too.  Making NC proud!

Livebaitman - I've only seen The Wayback's Merlefest show on youtube, unfortunately I couldn't make it this year. I did buy the CD of the show though! Available here:
http://flink.livedownloads.com/show.asp?show=2506

I'll have to check out the Avett Brothers, thanks for the tip!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

i love this site, would never have found all these great artists if it wernt 4 u lot
thankyou

tom

topdown wrote:
livebaitman wrote:

Livebaitman - I've only seen The Wayback's Merlefest show on youtube, unfortunately I couldn't make it this year. I did buy the CD of the show though! Available here:
http://flink.livedownloads.com/show.asp?show=2506

I'll have to check out the Avett Brothers, thanks for the tip!

www.theavettbrothers.com

and, of course, literally hundreds of videos on youtube

Here's a record lable that features some awesome fingerpickin', great song writin', folkish rock& country.

http://www.ohboy.com/

Give everything but up.

You'll love Tony Rice Unit Band on You tube.

Also, Union station.  Try Choctow Hayride.  You'll go nuts

Captain John.
Email: Captainjohn@inbox.com

I volunteer here every year.   Largest indoor bluegrass festival in North America and I think the largest west of Telluride.

http://www.acousticsound.org/

Zurf, Seldom Scene is one of the headline acts this year, and has been for the last couple if you think you can wander up this way towards the end of February.  I can pick my own crew, and volunteers get four day passes in return.  smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Thanks Jerome, I'll consider it.  Seldom Scene's home base is (or was at one time at least) Fredericksburg, Virginia, which is just down the road a piece from me.  They play in this area often.  I'm hoping to make Florida in February this year, but perhaps a future year could work out for us.  I love Pacific Northwest.  If I was made of money, Port Townsend WA is one of the places I'd have a residence, a boat, and a captain to maintain and sail her for me while I drink wine, take pictures, and fish from the dinghy.  Alas, I am not made of money.

I love Port Townsend.  The entire peninsula is fantastic.

If you ever make it up this way, you can crash with me.  I get a hotel room at the festival so you can share that, too.  I'm usually working and hardly ever there.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Jerome, my Grandparents lived in Port Townsend and I still have some relatives in the area, you are right Port Townsend is a very unique place especially for Musicians and Artists.

Later, Wayne P

I've only seen The Wayback's Merlefest show on youtube.That's great.

OK, I didn't see The Steeldriver's mentioned.   They used to have a lead guy (Chris Stapleton) that makes every song really powerful.

Back to the originalsl:  The Osbourne Brothers, The Martin Brothers, The McReynolds, Bill Munroe of course.

BTW - Topdown - thanks for the link to The Waybacks.  I LOVE them!