Topic: TUBE SCREAMER

Just bought Fender Blues Deluxe, and as I would expect from what I've read, it doesn't overdrive so well (or maybe doesn't until you are breaking glass with the volume?).  I was willing to accept that shortcoming since I love the sound of it.  I've read on other bulletin boards that to get a good clean overdrive that won't taint the amp's tonal quality one might consider using Ibanez Tube Screamer.  One BB said the TS wasn't an overdrive device???  If local shops have one, I'll certainly try it, but meantime does anybody have any experience with the TS?  Recommendations for it (or another device) to comp for lack of ability in the amp?  Thanks in advance.

Dave

2 (edited by cytania 2008-08-12 14:06:23)

Re: TUBE SCREAMER

The tubescreamer is a box you plug in to get a soaring bluesy sound. Maybe that poster was suggesting it was more like a treble-booster. Alot of subtle overdrive devices do a bit of both really. Tubescreamer should give you the Stevie Ray Vaughn sound. There are many original models and many clones. Ideally I'd lug your guitar and amp down to the shop and try the boxes with the drive pedals on sale. However...

"a good clean overdrive that won't taint the amp's tonal quality" suggests to me something more like Blackstar's Drive pedal or Comet's Hyperdrive. Look for pedals with a real tube in for a subtle slight overdrive. Tubescreamer's use germanium transistors so tend to be more strident. It's a huge market.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

I used to use my tube screamer as a boost pedal/volume pedal going thru a hi gain marshall, it defineately seemed to compliment the  the amp , the prices on ebay for the green machines seem to speak for themselves , and of course sat in a lynx all day the subtle sounds of a Fender may not get thru the Dave Clarks .

You can`t wind me up , I`m electric.

Purlnekless wrote:

, and of course sat in a lynx all day the subtle sounds of a Fender may not get thru the Dave Clarks .

It gives it all a good vibrato.

I have a Tubescreamer TS-9, and use it with a transister amp (Roland JC-50) and get some fantastic sounds out if it. You should get even better with a tube amp. It gives you a bit of smooth, creamy distortion, and great sustain. "Soaring" is the word, which another poster used. Stevie Ray Vaughn used one, and so does Carlos Santana. They are a classic pedal, and I love what it does for my sound, which I get with a Fender Stratocaster. I highly recommend them.  You should be able to get one for about $100.

Excellent.  Thanks for the help.

Guitar and Bass magazine keep reviewing Tubescreamer clones. One of the best is the LovePedal they claim. Also the Texas Flood by Toadworks and the T-Rex by Moller.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'