Topic: Cans vs. Monitors?????

I'd like to be able to get a better mix on our music without spending tons of money on studio monitors,,,I understand there quite expensive,,,,,Surely there is a headphone you could pick up for less money and still get a pretty good mix. I've heard peoples differences for using each i.e. monitors and headphones, and have looked at several websites that are pushing their product. I'm wondering if any chordians have any preferences to specific headphones to mix with and about how much they cost......thanx in advance for the help.

"I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did." Yogi Berra
"It's like deja vu all over again." Yogi Berra
and my personal favorite Yogi Berra quote: "Ninety percent of this game is half mental."

Re: Cans vs. Monitors?????

ooops, I forgot something,,,Currently using just a cheap pair of cans that you could pick up anywhere, like the ones you'd use in a portable. These do ok i guess, I'm just looking for something a little better.

"I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did." Yogi Berra
and my personal favorite Yogi Berra quote: "Ninety percent of this game is half mental."

In Ear Wireless monitors...

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?s … mp;loc=111

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

These seem to be headphones that I'd like and also not extremely expensive...145.00 Jerome have you used these for mixing? I'm just curious how these compare to the phones that completely surround the ear...Sorry I'm completely ignorant on this subject. I've found info on LOW IMPEDENCE headphones that seem to be popular in the field. Maybe you or other chordians will know if these are low impedance headphones. Here are some specs I found on these headphones. And thanks for the reply.

The E03 transmitter features Eight factory switchable channels, 300 ft. wireless operating range, Frequency Response of 100 Hz - 10KHz ± 3 dB and Signal to Noise Ratio of 60 dB. Any of E03 receivers can be used with EO3-T transmitor.

fatstrings wrote:

These seem to be headphones that I'd like and also not extremely expensive...145.00 Jerome have you used these for mixing? I'm just curious how these compare to the phones that completely surround the ear...Sorry I'm completely ignorant on this subject. I've found info on LOW IMPEDENCE headphones that seem to be popular in the field. Maybe you or other chordians will know if these are low impedance headphones. Here are some specs I found on these headphones. And thanks for the reply.

The E03 transmitter features Eight factory switchable channels, 300 ft. wireless operating range, Frequency Response of 100 Hz - 10KHz ± 3 dB and Signal to Noise Ratio of 60 dB. Any of E03 receivers can be used with EO3-T transmitor.

The real difference is in portability.  You can clip the receiver on your belt and you don't have to tote another cord around like you do with a wired set of headset monitors, and the ear piece is small and out of the way.   Having said that, I still prefer a floor monitor over anything on my head. 

Your mix, ultimately, is going to come off your mixing board, no matter what kind of monitor you use.  We use POS unpowered stage monitors when we gig, and they do alright.   It really comes down to understanding what it is you need to hear, rather than what you want to hear.   I know I need to hear certain guitar parts for me to queue off of, and I need to hear my own vocals when I sing, so the mix into the monitor reflects that.  So what I hear is geared for me, and not the audience.  The mix coming out of the PA is not the mix coming out of my monitor, if that makes sense.

Ultimately, it comes down to what you want to do with the monitor.   Are you in a studio with it?  Are you gigging with it?  Sitting at home noodling and trying not to annoy the neighbors?  Those should drive your decisions.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]