Re: Some 12 string song ideas please...?

Guitarpix wrote:

I'm looking for some good songs for a 12 string. I got a 12 string the other day and have been playing around with it. I've been playing Hotel California, Wanted Dead or Alive, and Wild Horses. Now I'm running short on ideas... Anybody have any good suggestions for 12 string songs?

Peace!

Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
Feelin' A Whole Lot Better by The Byrds or all Byrd's tunes
  Life By The Drop by Stevie Ray Vaughan (great tune!)

.......and if you don't have a 12 string but want a similar effect, get yourself a chorus pedal a crank the depth setting and go mild on the speed setting...no chorus pedal? sit under a ceeling fan, low speed, almost the same effect to the person sitting underneath or nearby  said fan..........

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L wrote:
Guitarpix wrote:

I'm looking for some good songs for a 12 string. I got a 12 string the other day and have been playing around with it. I've been playing Hotel California, Wanted Dead or Alive, and Wild Horses. Now I'm running short on ideas... Anybody have any good suggestions for 12 string songs?

Peace!

Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd
Feelin' A Whole Lot Better by The Byrds or all Byrd's tunes
  Life By The Drop by Stevie Ray Vaughan (great tune!)

.......and if you don't have a 12 string but want a similar effect, get yourself a chorus pedal a crank the depth setting and go mild on the speed setting...no chorus pedal? sit under a ceeling fan, low speed, almost the same effect to the person sitting underneath or nearby  said fan..........

Thanks! That's a cool trick with the fan.. I'll have to check into that one...Wonder if it'll change a 12 to a 24...:lol:

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

over the hills and far away

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

How about Melissa - Almond Brothers, thats my favorite  for 12 string.
Gotta be in tune!

I'm betting "Ain't No Sunshine" would sound real good on a twelver.  It sort of screams out for that droning, rhythmic sound a twelver can bring to a song. 

By twelver, I mean a twelve-string guitar and not a twelve-pack of a favored beverage, though I suppose in many instances mentioned above (particularly Pink Floyd) either meaning could fit in. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I just picked up a 12 string Yamaha last weekend and was searching for songs myself. So I thought I'd share some of my findings. (Probably am repeating a few songs that others have already posted, sorry.)

I actually ended up ordering a Hal Leonard book for the 12 string (hasn't arrived yet)...

These are the songs that it includes:

• Best Of My Love - Eagles
• Breaking The Girl – Red Hot Chili Peppers
• Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen
• Do You Believe In Magic – Lovin’ Spoonful
• Even The Losers – Tom Petty
• Free Fallin' – Tom Petty
• Give A Little Bit - Supertramp
• Help Me Make It Through The Night
• Hole Hearted - Extreme
• Kicks
• Leaving On A Jet Plane – Peter, Paul, and Mary
• Like The Way I Do – Melissa Etheridge
• Love The One You're With – Steven Stills
• Maggie May – Rod Stewart
• Nights In White Satin – Moody Blues
• Not Fade Away – Buddy Holly
• So You Want To Be A Rock And Roll Star - The Byrds
• Someday I'll Be Saturday Night – Bon Jovi
• Substitute – The Who
• Suite Madame Blue - Styx
• Things We Said Today - The Beatles
• Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There Is A Season) - The Byrds
• Wasted On The Way – Crosby, Stills, and Nash
• You Can't Do That - The Beatles
• You've Got To Hide Your Love Away - The Beatles

Also check out this Link for a great list of songs: http://www.blamepro.com/mwn/tips/12string.htm
(again some are duplicates)

Great for inspirational listening ideas too!

I forgot to mention:
Tangerine by Led Zeppelin

And, I really enjoyed this article about the 12 string by David Hodge on Guitar Noise too: http://www.guitarnoise.com/article.php?id=75

nice list Nerak.  Some oldies I might go back and play myself.

That's alright, I got my guitar
-Jimi Hendrix

I love the 12 string. I open shows for a lot of friends bands. I do an acoustic set and kind of play with the audience and jam. One of my favorite 12 string songs to play is America's Sandman in Am. I have done my own acoustical arrangement of the song that I play on my 1969 Gibson B-45-12 Deluxe. Great song for the 12

I saw the byrds mentioned a few times.  Roger McGuinn has been pumping out 12's for a long time, with the Byrds and alone.  There are a few tabs up on the Byrds page at:

http://www.lyon.edu/webdata/users/kadle … /rmcguinn/

Edmund Fitzgerald and Little Wing

Rock and Roll Never Dies,,, It just passes out for a while: George Thorogood

Anything by the byrds!!! Alot of twelve string going on there

Guitarpix wrote:
topdown wrote:

Pix - Another guitar! How many does that make? big_smile How 'bout some details on the 12er, make model and your opinion. And hey - update the GAS on flikr would ya - I just went lookin for the new 12. smile

Still just me and my old yammy, but I'll be adding soon - let me know if you see or have any good deals. Take care buddy.

Hey Tops, How's things been going?  Yea I picked up a ALVAREZ  PJ-85SC/12 DVS. I just put some pics of it on my flickr page for ya! I love it! Fit and finish is outstanding!  I love the maple binding used on these. Nice quality solid woods (spruce top and rosewood back and sides) In person you can even see a good deal of bearclawing in the spruce top. It's almost a shame it was stained and hidden. She playes wonderfully and the tone excellent. It's alot more responsive than alot of the 12s I've played. Most companys tend to overbuild 12 strings but this one has a nice balance. I'll probably keep it as a 12 string for now but will probably string it as a 6 when the new elixer 12's wear out. I tried the 6 string version and loved it but the neck was a little narrow for my taste so I bought a 12. That way I can have the best of both worlds...String it as a 12 or as a 6 with wider spacing. Yea the wife's still not talking to me....But sometimes you have to wonder...Is that really such a bad thing...:lol: After all sleeping on the couch is fun..Kinda like camping lol  Just kidding she's always supportive....WOS..Peace!

I had to revive this thread, primarily for song ideas, but also because when I got home this evening, I had Pix's 12er waiting for me. Pix made me a deal I couldn't pass up so now I have a 12 string Alvarez in my collection! She's a beauty, I was worried about fingering a 12 (I've never even tried one), but the action is like butter.

Just wanted to say thanks to Pix and re-open this thread for any more 12 string ideas. I've got a feeling I'm gonna be up late playing with my new toy!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

39 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-08-22 01:04:34)

I had to revive this thread, primarily for song ideas, but also because when I got home this evening, I had Pix's 12er waiting for me. Pix made me a deal I couldn't pass up so now I have a 12 string Alvarez in my collection! She's a beauty, I was worried about fingering a 12 (I've never even tried one), but the action is like butter.

Just wanted to say thanks to Pix and re-open this thread for any more 12 string ideas. I've got a feeling I'm gonna be up late playing with my new toy!

Hey Tops, Glad she arived safely! Hope your pleased with everything! You probably noticed I had it tuned down a full step so you can just capo on second fret for standard tuning. I just always felt safer with a little less tension on the top and man she plays so sweet that way smile Glad my set-ups please you!! Enjoy! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

Oh yea - I noticed the tuning. I immediately tuned her up to standard tuning (at least for the weekend) as I noticed some expected fret buzz with the drop tuning. (Tuning a 12 is twice as hard LOL!). I do like your idea of keeping it tuned down, especially since I'll be leaving her at home while I travel during the week.

One question - what type / gauge strings are on her? ( I assume lite's) I need to order a few back up sets. I hate the chore (but love the sound) of changing strings on my 6 string guitars, I'm sure it will be double the hassle on the 12!

The top looks great, but is a bit darker than it looked in your pics - but it blends real well with the EIR sides and back which are beautiful.

I haven't plugged her in yet - think I'll try that right now! I am very pleased with my purchase and happy to help in your quest for a custom build. You can use me as a reference anytime my friend.

41 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-08-22 01:40:17)

topdown wrote:

Oh yea - I noticed the tuning. I immediately tuned her up to standard tuning (at least for the weekend) as I noticed some expected fret buzz with the drop tuning. (Tuning a 12 is twice as hard LOL!). I do like your idea of keeping it tuned down, especially since I'll be leaving her at home while I travel during the week.

One question - what type / gauge strings are on her? ( I assume lite's) I need to order a few back up sets. I hate the chore (but love the sound) of changing strings on my 6 string guitars, I'm sure it will be double the hassle on the 12!

The top looks great, but is a bit darker than it looked in your pics - but it blends real well with the EIR sides and back which are beautiful.

I haven't plugged her in yet - think I'll try that right now! I am very pleased with my purchase and happy to help in your quest for a custom build. You can use me as a reference anytime my friend.

I'm pretty sure they are Elixir Light's. They are the original strings so I'm not positive. I may put the custom on hold temperarly...With the wood choices and features I want to incorporate ,from the builder I want, it's going to be close to 8 grand....Wow  When I do it, I want it right so I'm setting aside the money from selling most of my collection in a seperate account until I can raise the rest or the wife gets ahold of it one..lol I did cushion the postponment with a very nice Martin D18 that I purchased last night..:) You can see it in the AGF classifieds. All the best to ya! -Chris

Pics are gone Pix! - Saw the thread, but the poster changed it to SOLD! - Post pics when you can! Congrats!

Have a look on you tube at old vids of Leo Kottke playing a 12 with slide...

Been working on Peace Train by Cat Stevens lately.  I'll bet that would sound great on a twelve-string.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

How 'bout Wish You Were Here:Pink Floyd, Or Good Times:David Lee Roth. There are a ton of
songs that sound good on 12-strings, even some songs not written on a 12-string, sound good
on a 12! So try some of those too. Hope you enjoy.
                                                                    getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!