Topic: Changing Strings ....

So I was wondering how often do you change your strings? I've had my acoustic for about 6 months now, and only one string has been changed (Top E) due to me snapping it whilst trying to tune - I think we all need to do that once to learn our lesson!

I've just found recently that i'm not happy with the sound of my guitar it's not sounding as warm as it used to .. for anyone curious it's a Tanglewood TW145-ASC.

Thanks in advance!!! smile

Re: Changing Strings ....

Kirria - Changing strings has much to do with how much you play your instrument. I play about 1 hour each day (more on weekends) and change the strings on my primary guitar roughly every 2 weeks. I go strictly by sound, when they start sounding dull, I slap a new set on. I am always amazed and excited at the sound of new strings - it's almost as good as getting a new guitar!

So - 6 months, I'd say you are over due. Change those strings - experimenting with different brands / makes is something that I also enjoy. Oh - and when you change them is a perfect time to clean up the guitar and get in all the nooks and cranny's.

Here's a how to lesson by our often recommended friend Justin (page down for video):

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TB-004-C … oustic.php

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I feel like I have neglected my beautiful instrument, I need to hide my head in shame - I play about 1-2 hours a day and on and off all weekend, it's seems i'm wayyyyy overdue for a change of strings.

What would I do without you guys!

Good advice from topdown kirria,I play about the same amount of time daily,I can hear them going bad after two or three weeks. I also have oily skin and that seems too effect them as does the amount of skin that flakes onto the windings of your strings.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

does anyone know how to change steelstrings?
i've been fiddling but the internet instructions are way
too complicated for me...anyways, thanks for listening.

"Open up your box of sunshine and smile as confetti comes raining down on you."

Hi Natlim,

If you are unable to change strings after watching the video in Topdowns post above then you are probably best taking your guitar to your local guitar shop and asking them to do it for you. They will no doubt make a small charge for this but it is better than getting it wrong yourself. They may even let you watch so you know how to do it next time.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Some people have more acid in their perspiration than others.
When I played electric guitar 4 - 5 hours a night - 6 nights a week I changed strings every week.
When the guitar sound loses some frequencies (mostly highs) it's time to restring.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I wondered about this dull string thing all my life.  Sure, I thought I could hear a difference but I never took the time to record the difference between new and old strings.  So I did that. I don't have the best recording gear in the world but oh well.  My own string comparison, old vs new with MP3 goodness.

My guitar teacher taught me how to replace the strings on mine.  His recommendation went along the lines of how often the guitar was played as well as personal preference.   Also what your personal preference was.  Not knowing any better, I went 3 years before I finally changed my strings.   Now I know better and know how to change the strings.   The new sound just blew me away.  Now I'll change my strings no later than 6 months or when I feel the sound is getting off.  The way the strings rang was addictive.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

I love the sound of new strings....however they're a pain to get in tune once you first put them on.  I change around twice a year, and I play for several hours every day.  I just use some GHS Fast Fret string cleaner every so often, and they sound bright and new again.  I'd probably change acoustic strings more often than electrics though...

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

06sc500 wrote:

I love the sound of new strings....however they're a pain to get in tune once you first put them on.  I change around twice a year, and I play for several hours every day.  I just use some GHS Fast Fret string cleaner every so often, and they sound bright and new again.  I'd probably change acoustic strings more often than electrics though...

I'll check out the cleaner.  I had a little problem with the new strings and their adjustment to the tension.  But, it pretty well cleared up after the second week!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Roger Guppy wrote:

Hi Natlim,

If you are unable to change strings after watching the video in Topdowns post above then you are probably best taking your guitar to your local guitar shop and asking them to do it for you. They will no doubt make a small charge for this but it is better than getting it wrong yourself. They may even let you watch so you know how to do it next time.

Roger

okay, Roger, thanks. it's helped a lot.

"Open up your box of sunshine and smile as confetti comes raining down on you."