Topic: Are there bands who got a tremendous poularity caused by a member?

I think this is a very intriguing topic. MUSIC + 1 FRONTMAN: where would you place them if they didn't had a special "charismatic" member.
In fact is this quit simple.
1) I am talking about bands who really got the credits they deserve
2) I am talking about bands who owe their popularity NOT by their music, but by 1 of the members.

The band QUEEN is in category 1 = really great songs and a majestic, hypnotizing FREDDIE MERCURY. (Did you know why his popularity was beyond everything in South America? Because of his mustache and clothes, leather pants: THEY HAVE A GREAT "MACHO CULTURE THERE)
About the band U2, if they didn't have BONO, they would be a main stream band.
THIS IS WHAT I THINK.
so:
- QUEEN = fantastic band, numbers and a "charismatic" frontman.
- U2 = good band but where would they be without BONO?

DO YOU HAVE EXAMPLES? WHAT IS YOUR OPINION? and have fun, (that's one of the few things I still have: making fun.)

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: Are there bands who got a tremendous poularity caused by a member?

Pete Townsend-The Who?

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

I might get beat up for this but....How about Guns and Roses. Let me say...I really like/liked the band but without that lunatic Axle out front would they have been just another good unsigned rock and roll band? His voice was/is distinct and it was THAT voice that made the band unique.

Again, I enjoy their music and will wait for my impending "digital beating" because there are a ton of GnR fans out there in Chordie land

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Gwen Stefani is the sole reason No Doubt got the Attention they did.

mixter102 wrote:

Gwen Stefani is the sole reason No Doubt got the Attention they did.

Agreed. And she merits the attention!!!!!

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Interesting.
Wouldn't THE DOORS had success in the past without JIM MORISSON? I am convinced that they would be a "non important band"
But admit (I am NOT G..!!!!) Jim was a very attractive man, and very CHARISMATIC .

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

gitaardocphil wrote:

Interesting.
Wouldn't THE DOORS had success in the past without JIM MORISSON? I am convinced that they would be a "non important band"
But admit (I am NOT G..!!!!) Jim was a very attractive man, and very CHARISMATIC .

Sure, Jim Morisson did magic with the lyrics and gave an image to the band but don't forget that he had 3 great musicians beside him who wrote the music and who had to be able to improvise whenever he desided to take a poetic trip on stage.

Nirvana

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of Dave Grohl but he (literally and figuratively) and Krist took a back seat to Kurt Cobain.

Good topic Doc!

cool

I'm the son of rage and love

yeah i agree about nirvana. there must be loads of bands like that.

"In a mad world it is the mad who are sane" Craig Nicholls