Topic: ABOUT YOUTUBE AND MYSPACE

Several times when people asked a question about the guitar and more in particular the sound, I wrote to go on youtube and listen to that 1 guitar you want.
Myspace & Youtube give an idea about a certain guitar.

MY QUESTION IS HOW MANY GUITAR PLAYERS GO TO THESE SITES TO HEAR THE GUITAR IN ACTION?
For me it gives a pretty good idea to see somebody playing an EPIPHONE SHERATON and compare it with IBANEZ or a GIBSON 335.
You have a guitar in mind, but difficulties to find it in a music store. I always answer
1) look in an online store.
2) if you have found a guitar you like, but you have to drive 70 miles to find a great music store, just to see and hear the guitar.
3) I believe the best thing you can do is see and gear the guitar on these 2 websites.

I bought 3 months ago a DUESENBERG 49er, I heard about the brand, went almost on every website and see that all comments are really great, I listened first to the 49er on youtube, and I got luck, I found a 49er in a very small store in Ostend (a city at the sea), priced 1100€ which is still 1700$. The 49er is made in Germany and they opened a few years ago a plant in the USA.
It is also the only guitar who's cheaper in Europe than in the USA. There you pay for a 49er at least 2300$. I have about 12 electric guitars and all big brands. UNTIL THE DUESENBERG, one of the cheapest, and the best guitar I ever played. So I
- FOUND IT ON YOUTUBE, I listened to the sound AND
- THE REAL SOUND is almost identical as the youtube sound.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: ABOUT YOUTUBE AND MYSPACE

Hi Lieven,

I know you are a special case and your situaltion is different to most but there are two big flaws that I can see.

One. Listening to someone else playing an instrument lets you know how it sounds with them playing it on their equipment. It does not let you know what it will sound like with you playing it using your equipment.

Two. Unless you handle and play the instrument yourself you do not know that it will suit you in regard to things like the shape and feel of it, the width of the fingerboard, the size of the body and it's weight etc.

I know an 11 year old young man who is a very talented and gifted guitarist and he was longing for a Gibson guitar without actually playing one himself. He was very excited when his father promised him one for last Christmas. His joy was short lived I'm afraid. He is slightly built and the Gibson is so heavy that he can only use it for a very short while before it get too uncomfortable to play.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Mind you, even in stores you have to be careful. Every store I've tried guitars in has had the gain turned up to pad out the original sound of electrics.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

Youtube would be a better than nothing choice for people who can't get to a good music store for any reason.  But if it were me I'd find a "big box" music store like Guitar Center, they have a huge selection and will let you try everything out, even if you don't buy. To me just the experiance of playing a variety of guitars and amps side by side, would be worth a little drive.