Topic: 2 Greats Bob Dylan and Neil Young

Both have been a big influence on me and I appreciate both,I love Neil's guitar playing,kinda simple with a lot of walks and hammer ons , Bob Dylan more for his off the wall lyrics and chord progressions.Just wondering what others thought of their contributions.

Later Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

Re: 2 Greats Bob Dylan and Neil Young

Ditto here. Neil Young and Bob Dylan are true icons in the music industry. I am incredibly thankful for their contributions to this wonderful world of music. These guys are near the top of my list anyday..............And they're both just flat out cool dudes too!

SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Bob Dylan is an incredible story-teller and lyricist.  Neil Young is a fantastic guitar player and also an amazing producer. 

I remember going to a CNSY concert relatively recently.  I wasn't planning to go because it was CSN, but then they announced that Neil Young would be there too, so I bought tickets.  The tickets were behind the stage, but close.  It was a sunken stage - so we could see the whole thing from there.  Neil Young took a break during an acoustic set by CSN where they covered their hits together.  Then they took a break while Neil Young did a set from his early solo work and his work with Iron Horse. 

Let me just say that Neil Young was amazing.  Duck Dunn was playing bass, and during a very, very long instrumental in "Down By The River", first David Crosby dropped out and put down his guitar.  He then dragged a bar stool from the acoustic set over and took a seat with his back to the audience to get the best seat in the house to the Neil Young show.  Then Graham Nash fell back to just playing root chords without much in the line of fills and runs.  Then Stephen Stills put down his guitar - but he wasn't dropping out like I thought.  He had put down his acoustic and had a roady bring him his Gibson Flying V and MAN did he light into that song!  You could tell that Young and Stills have been playing off each other for 40 years, all the way back to Buffalo Springfield.  Young, Stills, and the absolutely incomparable Duck Dunn on bass kept that groove going for 1/2 hour or more with the audience (excepting my wife) transfixed.  The incredible part was that it was approaching midnight.  The concert had started at 7:00P and there had been someone on stage playing the entire five hours to that point.  They had spelled each other, but there was just so much talent on that stage, and so many groups to perform, solo work from all four, Buffalo Springfield, Yardbirds, CSN, CSNY, Iron Horse, and other groups I've forgotten where one or more of these guys were driving forces.  Absolutely incredible. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Those have always been two of my favorites since they first started.  Yeah, I go back a ways.  I have always said that neither one has a great voice, but there is something about them that always brings me back.  I have most of their music and listen to them often.  Neither of them would make it past Simon Cowell these days.  You gotta wonder how they would do on American Idol.  Oh, the times they are a changin, aren't they?

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Two absolutely great artists!!! I love learning songs from both!
                                                                                   getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

True enough Neil Young and Bob Dylan don't have great voices,but they have unique voices and can get into a song they are playing that draws whomever is listening to them into the world they are in at that moment in time. smile
You just can't beat someone who is into there music smile
Kap

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

wlbaye wrote:

I love Neil's guitar playing,kinda simple with a lot of walks and hammer ons

Very well put. One of my favourite guitarists but not the most talented. The use of his varied tunings does make for easy playing and dare I suggest cheating a little.

I have three guitars on the wall and one is aways in dropped D for a quick bash at the Neil Young stuff.

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."

I was playing a few tunes the other morning before going to work and the songs I played made me feel so good.I wanted to share it and it seems I'm not the only one that has enjoyed the work of Bob Dylan and Neil Young,gotta go "Heart of Gold" is going through my head . I'll have to go play it again.

Later Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

I love both Dylan and Young, I think Bob Dylan is most likely the best song writer that ever lived, second in my opinion would be Jackson browne, of course I'm sure others will disagree, but hey!, thats ok, thats what gives music it's variety!

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

There are many very talented song writers, but I have to agree that Dylan rates up among
the top. He has written so many great songs that I don't think you could single out any one
in perticular, and he has written many songs for other artist. Great songsmith indeed!!!
                                                                                                                   getfiddle

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

I listened  to the times they are a changing a few days ago - prophetic or what. Senor and Forever Young are without a doubt two of the best songs EVER  written .Dylan must rate as the most prophetic and prolific writer/poet of all time. Mr Young is not too shabby either. That's my two cents worth for what it is worth.

Keep on Rocking and remember Animals Feel Pain Too.

Roger that buvvy! Forever Young is a lyrical masterpiece.  And as far as Mr. Young goes, Unknown Legend is in the same ballpark as Forever Young.

Give everything but up.

Dylan has no peers in music. Seriously he is that good and this is in no way meant to be a slight on Neil Young.

Let me start by saying I am a huge Dylan fan - been listening to his tunes since I was a wee lad and Mom and Dad played his albums on the phonograph. I own several CD's including a box set and many of his songs are in my "favorites" rotation.

That said.... I saw Dylan about 2 years ago touring with Willie on their minor league baseball stadium tour. Willie brought tears to my eyes, playing all of his classics with feeling and true joy, really giving his all to the audience - I felt privileged to see this American Icon.

On the other hand, Bob played an eclectic set (he was on keys) where the sound was terrible, not a single song was recognizable and he did not acknowledge the audience a single time. A songwriting genius - absolutely - but I say if you can't give more than that, it's time to stop touring. The worst show I have ever seen (and I've been to hundreds). Maybe he just had a bad night, but I will certainly never pay to him again.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!