Topic: WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN COMMERCIAL & NON COMMERCIAL SONGS?

I read a lot, from making a pancake to a bomb, and of course music is my favorite.
In a lot of comments people (criticists) are mentioning that a band starts to deny their roots by playing commercial music.
This is something I CAN'T UNDERSTAND. MY OPINION =
1) If you make an album it isn't to hang on your wall.
2) a so called "not commercial" band, why do they make an album?
3) conclusion NOT COMMERCIAL = COMMERCIAL.

I love to read critics on albums, theater, movies. The people writing this are often musicians without a job and some frustration projecting their own "failure" & " problems" on another band.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN COMMERCIAL & NON COMMERCIAL SONGS?

Hi doc, I think what is happening is that many bands are forced too do some music that is not too there liking just too make the record companies happy and sell more albums.Also as filler too fully complete an album. Just my thoughts.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

There are some musicians who make music because they have to, its in their soul,  they would make the same music if it was commercial or not. 
Others make music to make money, they hire big name producers (or get hired by them), top songwriters, and top session musicians.  They calculate everything from their look, and sound, to the publicity they get, all so that they will appeal to the lowest common denominator.
For me I almost always seem to find the former more interesting,  they don't have to be the greatest voice, or fastest guitar picker, but they do connect on a personal level that I just don't find from the later.
Every musician wants to be heard, but some want to make sure that what you hear, is really them.

I think by Commercial they mean Formula.  But what the heck, eh?  I don't see any reason why people can't make money from their art.  If they can't, there'll sure enough be a dearth of artists after a while won't there - after they've all starved to death. 

If you're artist that is doing your own music and then decides to do your own music AND some music you can sell and earn a living, there are two different terms to name that decision.  One group of folks will name it "selling out."  Another group of folks will name it "smart."  They're both right. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

mixter102 wrote:

There are some musicians who make music because they have to, its in their soul,  they would make the same music if it was commercial or not. 
Others make music to make money, they hire big name producers (or get hired by them), top songwriters, and top session musicians.  They calculate everything from their look, and sound, to the publicity they get, all so that they will appeal to the lowest common denominator.
For me I almost always seem to find the former more interesting,  they don't have to be the greatest voice, or fastest guitar picker, but they do connect on a personal level that I just don't find from the later.
Every musician wants to be heard, but some want to make sure that what you hear, is really them.

I agree with mixter. Some artists make the music they want to make and if becomes commercially successful so be it. Others try to adapt their music (and in some cases their image) to be commercially sucessful.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello