Topic: How to play this chord

Hi Everyone,

I have a question on the proper way to play a certain chord "chords", actually I see lots of chords that are like what I'm gonna try to explain, for example in Jackson Browne's song "Late for the sky" there is a chord called G7SUS4, now in this chord you hold down the E and B strings in the first fret, while holding down the low E on the 3rd fret, with the G and D strings open, ok, I know easy enough, but, you play all the strings with the exception of the A string, so I guess my question is how do you properly play the low E, skip the A and then the rest of the strings, hope this makes sense. Thanks for any help guys!

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Re: How to play this chord

E 3rd fret
A 3rd fet
D  open
G  open
B  1st fret
e  1st fret

So you strum all 6... smile

http://www.logue.net/chords/data/c1165.htm

The time to be happy, is NOW !

Freshman acoustic, IbanezGAX70, MarshallMG15cd, Digitech:RP100

3 (edited by alvee33 2008-09-07 18:44:55)

You could also barre it:

--3------ 
--3------
--5------
--3------
--5------
--3------

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/45/115909588_970356d9c3.jpg

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Ok so I play all 6 strings, even in his song book it shows not to play it, or at least it's X'ed out anyway, I've noticed he has several strange ways to get certain chords in certain songs.

Cam

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/index. … mp;get=Get

Give everything but up.

Here is a link to "The Ultimate Guitar Chord Chart II". It is a .pdf file that I have printed out and often refer to when I encounter a funky chord.

http://www.guitarnotes.com/guitar/notes2/ultimate.pdf

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

You'll simply "kill" (deaden) the A string with the finger you use to play the low E in the 3rd fret.

Caracena
> One of these days I'll think of a clever signature <

Caracena wrote:

You'll simply "kill" (deaden) the A string with the finger you use to play the low E in the 3rd fret.

By itself yes, with other instruments it's gonna sound a tad bit off.

Here's what you're sayin' to play; 3X0031
Here's what 'proper' theory suggets; 353533

What you're sayin' will work with most songs that call for a G7sus4 but the barred way will work everytime a G7sus4 is requested. I like your thought process nontheless............

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

9 (edited by Caracena 2008-09-10 04:00:14)

Southpaw41L -
Excellent point and I agree.  However, I got the impression from the original poster that the level was novice.  I therefore presumed - perhaps mistakenly - that a Barre would be too difficult.

I'm new at the posting, but have been on Chordie for about a year.  Is there somewhere I can find tips on effective posting?  I feel clumsy with it.....

Thanks

Caracena

Caracena wrote:

Southpaw41L -
Excellent point and I agree.  However, I got the impression from the original poster that the level was novice.  I therefore presumed - perhaps mistakenly - that a Barre would be too difficult.

I'm new at the posting, but have been on Chordie for about a year.  Is there somewhere I can find tips on effective posting?  I feel clumsy with it.....

Thanks

Just keep on doin' what you're doin'. Read some of the wonderful posts from members such as Old Doll, Roger Guppy, James McCormick, Last _Rebel, topdown, badeye, upyerkilt, alvee33, geoguitar, jaygordon75, Zurf, dino48, tim0473, gitaardocphil(The One and Only!) getfiddle, G S E, wlbaye, Guitarpix, bonedaddy, bootlegger, and many, many more. Lots of incredible people here with friendly, helpful information. Great for learning and motivation as well.

Welcome to Chordie Caracena, tell us a bit about yourself, if you so desire.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Actually I have gotten pretty good at my barre chords so that helped alot. While I am still learning, I have improved so much in the last few months, at least in my opinion, mostly due to this site, and help from others here. I've really praticed the barre chords hard, everyday, even have the barred F down great,but I still have lots I come apon that I need to ask questions, so, bascially I'm learning something everyday. Oh Caracena, nothing wrong with the way you answered, I would call myself an advanced beginer, if thats makes sense

Cam

cameronkl7
"Advanced beginner" make perfect sense!  Playing music is one of those things that can't be grouped into beginner, intermediate, advanced; many sub-sections.  Ah, yes, the dreaded F barre chord!  Major step!

I, too, will give lots of credit to Chordie in the tremendous advances I've experienced over the past year or so.  My playing had become stagnant (I've been playing guitars - though not always seriously - for around 30 years) and my repertoire boring; both had ceased to progress.  *I guess this is the "little about myself" that SouthPaw41L suggested*  Then I found Chordie!  It sure does help you get better when you are excited about playing; and it helps get you excited when you've got new songs to play!  These days I can hardly put my guitar down!!  I had even started playing my electric with some regularity (1981 Les Paul XR-1).  Unfortunately, I recently had to sell it due to some medical expenses; but that's why I'm on the "Acoustic" thread!  Anyway, Chordie has been great for my playing and my interest level.  Even my wife and kids don't roll their eyes so much when I pick up my guitar!  There are songs that I put in my songbook months ago that, at the time, were beyond my capabilities.  I do that so I can come back to them and demontrate (to myself) my own progress.  It is again fun to play my guitar!!  If I had put categorize myself, I guess I'd be an "advanced intermediate" - perhaps (on a good day) a "beginning advanced"

That's it, thanks for reading!
Kurt Caracena
Colorado
(Parkwood PW-370M)

Caracena

13 (edited by alvee33 2008-09-10 15:51:13)

Hey, Caracena, stick around. You're just the kinda person we need on here. Share the knowlege.... I need it more than most folk.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??