Topic: Gibson Les Paul Special

Hi Guys,

I generally play the acoustic guitar, but I have a chance to buy a Gibson Les paul special for 700.00. Now I know it's a Gibson, but, How can I tell what year it is?....What else should I pay attention to in so far as the guitar is concerned? What can anybody tell me that I should know. It has "made in the USA" imprinted on the back of the neck, it's a cutaway, it's black, but as far as details what should I know, and assuming everything is as it should be, how good of a deal do you think this is? I appreciate any and all advice.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Re: Gibson Les Paul Special

This is a very good guitar for the money, the pickups are great, they kept the cost down because of the finish, its very thin but has a nice vintage worn look. The fifth didget in the serial number will indicate the year or born on date, (3) 2003 (5) 2005 and so on,if its a nine it'll be a 1999. The price is a little high if its used , but about right if NEW,you can get it used for around 500 on eBay....It's a sweet one......Hoped this helped, ....FiveO

FIRST OF ALL CONGRATULATIONS.
I would love to compare some GIBSON LES PAUL guitars:
- Gibson Les Paul Standard: they have a set of BURST BUCKERS PRO HUMBUCKERS faithfully capturing the PAF'S from the 50ties.
- GIBSON LES PAUL CLASSIC seems a ROCK MONSTER if you see what humbuckers they use:
Bridge Pickup: 500T HB, Neck Pickup: 496 HB
- GIBSON STUDIO LES PAUL : Bridge: 500T HB neck: 496R HB
My question is what is the difference in sound between a CLASSIC and a STUDIO? Both use mahagony wood and slowly I am loosing my clear sight to judge and compare because they start "copying" Fender with a lot of Gibsons like Slash, Zakk Wylde and many more.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Hey Cam,

Check this website for Gibson serial number interpretation:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/SerialNumberSearch/

Sadly, I've just sold my LP sad  It was a 1981 XR-1 and I bought it new in '82.  Just sold it a few weeks ago cuz I needed the money more than I needed the axe.  Bummer....  Now I only have my acoustic - but I love playing that, so it's OK smile

$700 seems like a decent price.  I sold my XR-1 for 6 bills - but it was over 25 years old and I think the Special is a more recognized, and thusly more sought after, instrument than the XR-1 was.

Caracena

Caracena
> One of these days I'll think of a clever signature <

Buy

Hi everyone,

Well sadly enough  I lost out on this guitar, when I didn't get any replies right away, I was afraid to buy it whith out knowing more about it, be cause a I only have an acoustic.  The deal on Ebay at 500.00 sounds better of course that Five0 mentioned, I guess the only difference there is a I held this one in my hands and it felt great, which counts alot, but I just wanted to thank everyone who replied, next time  I run up on a deal I''ll know more about what I'm looking at thanks to you guys.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down