Topic: Oh dear, i need some help!

Hi people..!   After some encouragement from Roger... i want to do some experimenting with recording. i've read the  'For Recording Virgins'  thread, & all is good.  I've DL'ed the Audacity program, & this is where i need help..!  I cant get it to record any sound. My mic is on my webcam, a Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000.   Once i do find how to get it to recognise my mic, how do i add a new 'layer'  to my recording..?   I want to make 3 layers, one electric picking, one acoustic strumming, & one vocal.

this all seemed such a good idea 10 minutes ago..!  LOL

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rachael x

The time to be happy, is NOW !

Freshman acoustic, IbanezGAX70, MarshallMG15cd, Digitech:RP100

Re: Oh dear, i need some help!

ackk oooops.. lol... i found another mic, that i plugged in, & that didn't work either.. until i saw it had a mute switch on it! haahaaa.. so now i've got sound, but it's veryyy veryyy quiet.......

The time to be happy, is NOW !

Freshman acoustic, IbanezGAX70, MarshallMG15cd, Digitech:RP100

Hi Rachael,

I am pleased you are going to try your hand at recording.

Glad you found what the mic problem was. Do check that the recording volume on your PC is not turned right down however some lower quality mics do not record very loud. Also Audacity has a record volume slider so check that that is high enough too.

As for laying your tracks just click the red 'record' button and it will start recording and show a wave form of your recording.  Click the yellow 'end' when you have finished. Then click the 'record' button again to record your second track. You will see to the left a volume and pan control for when you balance and mix your tracks.

Good luck.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

HI Radchael and welcome to the recording forum,before you start recording your first track make sure the monitor input is clicked on and test the volume of your input it will be displayed when you play a chord in the upper right hand side of the audacity screen (red colored moving bars) or say "testing" into the microphone adjust the slider so the red colored moving bars go as far to the right without staying a darker red (distortion of signal) then when your ready to record click the record button and follow the procedure mentioned by Roger and good luck smile

Radchael1975 wrote:

ackk oooops.. lol... i found another mic, that i plugged in, & that didn't work either.. until i saw it had a mute switch on it! haahaaa.. so now i've got sound, but it's veryyy veryyy quiet.......

"Growing old is not for sissies"