Topic: irish songs to play along to

For anyone that likes a good irish song as well as playing along with it.

I think I found a site or maybe i got it from a link from here earlier in the week?

Anyway, this one Kilkelly Ireland is a cracking song. I have been doing it for a few years now.

and not just this, there are loads of others too.

http://unitedireland.tripod.com/id261.html

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Re: irish songs to play along to

There are so many sad songs of emmigration, Spancil Hill, The Irish Rover, even McAlpine's Fusiliers!

I particularly love Christy Moore's "Back Home in Derry" ( http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.p … /DERRY.TXT )

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

very nice song ,
I looked it up on youtube but  i will not give a link as most people are going on about how great bobby sands was.
What has this song got to do with a modern day terrorist?
I saw this song as being an old song when they got shipped off to australia, before 1916. Maybe I am being naive about this song?

I could have a right good rant about this but i wont.

A good song spoiled by a few.

Ah Ken, where to start.

Bobby Sands wrote Back Home in Derry - it's about convict transportation to Australia. He also wrote "McIlhatton" which is another good song. Hw=e was known for writing songs and poety. He actually used to live next door to my wife back in the early sixties. I, however, am from the other side of the tracks, you could say.

You'll have as many opinions on the past as there are people over here. I firmly believe that the discrimination against catholics in the 60's was obscene, but that some people set out to turn a struggle for equality onto a violent campaign for a united Ireland that only served to bolster division and kill Irishmen and women. Many will disagree with me, some of them violently.

We're all trying to come out of thirty plus years of violence over here. 3000 plus dead and many, many hurts. The thing is that for some of us, Bobby Sands was a terrorist, for others he was a freedom fighter. I don't think we get anywhere by hanging on the hurts of the past. We all have our sad, sad stories and we have to swallow them for the sake of our children. It's hard and it sticks in the throat, but there's a brighter dawn ahead.

Sands' song is just a song, it belongs to us all. to sing or not as we please.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

ahh well,
no matter who he was or what he done, now i know why folk were mentioning his name. makes a bit more sense now.

still, a great song it is.

Cheers

Ken

Great site all the same, Ken. Some real crackers on there. Get's me Irish blood flowin! Watered down as it is. lol

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I agree its a great site. Ive had this in my favourites for a long time now.

So many greats on there. One of my faves is "Metrapolitan Avenue."  { a Noel Brazil song} sung by Christy Moore.

I never get tired of it.

Oiche Mhait.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

"Scarlet Ribbons" Nice waltz!  I ripped it off an album by the Chieftans.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Shush Now! Tubatooter1940,

Your not supposed to be ripping anything anywhere! lol
But! i admire your taste.
Maith an Fear. { Good man} or Way to go.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

tubooter,
hi,
is this your own song?

if not it will have to go I am afraid. And if it is then well done and please share the rest in Songwriters section.

Also, sorry I have to say this but if there is no reply to if this is your own song or not I qwill have to assume it is not and have it deleted/edited.

Ken

Dear Ken,
Sorry, this is not my song. A guest on the John Boy and Billy radio show sang it in their gong show. No idea where he got it. Folks I met in Ireland sure enjoyed it.
My deepest apologies,
Dennis

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Thank you for your honest reply and sorry it had to come off. I thought it was fantastic lyrics.

You can only post things like that on chordie that is your own work. This will save any potential arguments etc from the artist should they or a record company ever see it on chordie.

The other songs on chordie are hosted on different sites, this is why we can have other artists songs. But nothing get posted directly onto chordie.

Sorry

ken