Topic: Voice too quiet

Hi all - need a bit of guidance from you good people out there! I am a regular player at local acoustic nights - my voice is reasonably in tune (I think), but needs to be louder, or at least to project more. I seem to have a natural max volume that I can't go beyond, as much as I try! Are there any tips you can give me, or websites I can look at, or do I need a good vocal coach?
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Re: Voice too quiet

Simple solutions;
1) Get your own microphone, only your lips touch this microphone
2) Get up close to the microphone. Touch your lips, gently to the microphone, if you come to a part in a song when you sing louder, move away slightly from the microphone.
3) If step #2 doesn't work, turn down the volume of the accompanying instruments OR turn up the volume on your microphone channel in mixer/amp.
4) Have good posture when you sing, don't slouch, use musical breaks to fill your lungs full of air.
5) Don't be shy, sing like you're alone drivin' in your car or scrubbin' the crud off in the shower............

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

I agree whole heartedly with South Paw!
You have to sing like you mean it. Microphone technique is important!
But a good investment - (I just purchased this book)  Singing for Dummies
Full of good helpful stuff -
If you really want to extend vocal range - Vocal Exercises are a must!
Good luck -
(personally I don't do the exercises, I just make sure I sing everynight - the songs I'm practising that is.)

"It's all about the Calluses, once you got them, you can't get rid of em!"

Try this link,

http://www.vocalist.org.uk/breathing_techniques.html

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

I've got a buddy with the same problem.  He is physiologically limited.  There are a few things he could do, but his limit is reached at a much lower volume than other people.  The easiest solution (for him anyway) is a microphone.  What you can't do with your diaphragm, do with amps!

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

There ain't nothing like confidence, except air flow over the vocal chords.

You will find that you can sing better, and louder, if you're actually singing louder.  It's a psychological block, though.   When you practice at home, you tend to sing quieter, and that effects everything.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

mics of course help a ton.

I have several songs where i sing low and have trouble projecting over the guitar.  The vocals are tough to be heard without a mic

Life is a sleazy stranger, and this is his favorite bar

Thanks for the suggestions, all. Singing loud as poss when practising is a good idea - just have to wait until I'm alone in the house!
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Hi Norm

Just to add to the bit about getting your own mic.

My vocalist has her own mic and if we do a gig where mics are provided, she insists on using her own. I thought it was a bit Diva-ish (if there is such a word) but she explained that at some event she had sung at, with mics provided, something had dripped from the mic onto her lips.

I can't even imagine what that must feel like.

On the singing side, Clare still has singing lessons and has learnt a lot from her teacher. It might be worth having a few lessons to point you in the right direction.

Please bear in mind that this comes from someone that plays a guitar, and being a bloke, finds it hard to multitask by singing as well.

Cheers
Howard

My acoustic trio Website
[url]http://www.accidentallyacoustic.co.uk/[/url]