Topic: favorite songs

Just curious, and for ideas, what are some of your favorite tunes to play?

... Badeye cool

one caper after another

Re: favorite songs

It varies from week to week but recently I've been playing "I'm Yours" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkHTsc9PU2A "Ripple" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3pEOHd-28o (Thanks to Old Doll for this link!) "King of the Carrot Flowers" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WrTGiEgOAM "Green Grass and High Tides" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R82OM5tzcrk I'm also working out an acoustic arrangement to this song , just for fun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlZru4nEfI0  I still play my regulars but these come up more often this week... -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I personally go for anything that avoids F and that I know the tune to wink

Favourite for some odd reason at the moment is the darker dirtier version of Jolene that I play.

i love playing songs that sound amazing by themselves eg staiway to heaven (led zep) blackbird (beatles) etc

There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and alcohol!

Social Distortion - Ball and Chain, Ring of Fire, I Was Wrong, Reach for the Sky, Bad Luck
Judas Priest - Living After Midnight, Green Manalishi, Breaking the Law
ACDC - It's A Long Way To The Top, Heatseeker, Dirty Deeds
ZZ Top - Stages, Rough Boy, TV Dinners
4 NonBlondes - What's Up
Kenny Chesney songs
George Strait songs
60/70's Folk Stuff just depends on my mood at the time

My tastes change week-to-week actually on what I play

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

I get a lot of pleasure from playing the original songs posted on Chordie which have the added challenge of finding a melody for them and then finding how different they are when the composer records them.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thank you all for the replies. More ideas and songs to learn.

Thanks... Badeye cool

one caper after another

I always end up slipping into ABBAs Dancing Queen.

Don't ask!

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

alvee33, Dancing queen!!! WTF!!! i love you haha
gotta love a bit ov abba

There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and alcohol!

10 (edited by alvee33 2008-09-17 11:58:48)

wilcovecrue wrote:

alvee33, Dancing queen!!! WTF!!! i love you haha
gotta love a bit ov abba

What can I say? I've been asked to learn it for my sister's 40th birthday and can't stop playing it. Brilliant song! lol Who knows, by the time the party comes round I may have it sounding recognisable tongue

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

When I want to feel good at the end of a practice session.  Here is what I end with:
1. Atlantic City - Bruce
2. Sweet Child O Mine - G & R
3. Heartbreaker - Stones

Enjoy

Acoustic: Yamaha F-310, Washburn WD-32SW

Into the Mystic - Van Morrison
Nothing Else matters - Metallica
Love in Vain - Stones
Deep River Blues - Doc Watson

Sail Away - Sonny Terry and Brownie Maghee

Daisy a Day- Roy Clark

Working Man- Rita MacNeil

Strong Tea - Badeye  [me]

Key to the Hiway- Brownie Maghee

Pawn Shop Blues- Brownie Maghee

Ophelia- The Band

Just a few I love to play.

Badeye  cool

one caper after another

I was overchallanging myself wanting to play everything all at once.  I have selected eight or ten songs that I want to learn well and then move on to other songs.

They include:
Distantly In Love - performed by Jimmy Buffett, written by Steve Goodman

Crocodile Rock - I have been working at it for a long time, but still have a long ways to go.

Duncan - Paul Simon.  I sing the pennywhistle part rather than try to pick it.  Maybe someday I'll get one of those harmonica holder thingies.

Age - Jim Croce.  I need to learn some blues style picking to improve my version of this song.  It's a stretch song with fingerpicking over two barre chords anyway. 

Don't Blink - performed by Kenny Chesney.  I'm not sure of the lyricist.

Seven Bridges Road - by everybody who's ever played a guitar and some who haven't.  My style is closest to Alan Jackson's version, but I did lift the superfamous riff between the harmonized intro and the main body of the song from The Eagles' version. 

A few others, but these are the ones I am "working" on.  I 'play at' other songs.  I'm not sure I can call the songs I'm 'working on' to be favorites, but they are what is challanging me now and allowing me to gain skills to get to favorites.  My future stretch song for fingerpicking with nifty blues turnarounds and such is Dan Fogelberg's "Morning Sky." 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks for the song ideas to all. I like you Zurf was trying to learn too much at once. Now I take a song at a time and really don't strive for perfection. B7 is a fine chord for me as I too use it for B. For me the guitar is pure fun and our kitchen jams are a blast. One tonite for
my buddy's 45 birthday, could be a rough sunday, he he.

Take Care .. Badeye cool

one caper after another

badeye wrote:

Thanks for the song ideas to all. I like you Zurf was trying to learn too much at once. Now I take a song at a time and really don't strive for perfection. B7 is a fine chord for me as I too use it for B. For me the guitar is pure fun and our kitchen jams are a blast. One tonite for
my buddy's 45 birthday, could be a rough sunday, he he.

Take Care .. Badeye cool

Hello Badeye,
   How about Neil Youngs' 'Heart of Gold' for you buddys' birthday tonight. "And I'm gettin' old" always hits the soul in a humorous way on ones' birthday. Have a great jam session tonight and don't forget the 'crash helmets'...(haha)

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Hi Southpaw, the Crash Helmut Jug Band will be in full force tonite. Yeap will do 'Heart of Gold". Hopefully the surprise will be a good one for Jon as he usually doesent miss a trick.
I got him a new capo as his got lost when camping. Thanks again.

Badeye... cool

one caper after another

Hey Badeye.
Just thought I'd toss a couple more in the hat for variety. I play all kinds of different stuff but lately have been working on some Ben Harper. I love "Diamonds on the Inside" and "She's Only Happy in the Sun" (mainly because my girlfriend loves these, but also because they're great tunes and fairly easy to play in terms of their chords. Its the tempo, cadence and emotion that really makes them outstanding.
Here's a YouTube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTM3THD9 … re=related
The songs can be found in Chordie too, so its all good!

"Smelly Cat" - Phoebe Buffay

smile
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Thanks Takamine and Detman for more ideas, The Ben Harper link is great.

Our surprise birthday party  slash  Guitar jam was the best kitchen jam yet. Uauslly we have two or three acoustic's going but this time we had a Bass guitar and a Dobro slide guitar
which made things blusey. A friend of ours, Melody Britton, who was a back up singer to Noel Harrison [ who had a variety show on C B C television in the mid sixties ] was here and had a rich powerful blusey voice that filled our whole house. She is currently working on a blues album which all tunes are her own. The music started at 9 or so and finished up at 4:30 in the morning. We had twenty people in our big kitchen and of course the gals were up to their old tricks cooking some great food and spirits flowed as well. My muscial basket was put to good use with tamborine, shakers, gazoo and harmoncia accompaning tunes. Everyone had a grand time and asked at the door when the next jam is gonna be, seems I can't wait for the next one as well. I tell you there is nothing better than getting together and jammin till the wee hours of the morning. I learn so much from these jams it should be mandetory for all. Well enough rambling here's waiting for the next jam.

Musically filled.... Badeye cool

one caper after another