Topic: help!

why cant i keep my arm going when i change chords i practice a hour day for last 6 months any one had this problem is there a cure  or is the habit hear to stay please i will even sell my soul

Re: help!

You dont need to sell your soul try counting along when you strum each down strum is a beat like 1 2 3 4 see if that helps smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hi nedaph,

I have only been playing for about 12 months and founds the same problem.
Once I became confident and quicker with my chord changes I found the strumming alot more fluent.

I think it is like, alot of things with the guitar, it just comes with practice.

Don't stress mate it will come.
Kane

Hi Nedaph and welcome to Chordie,

I think there are two possibilities here:

One: Consciously or subconsciouly, you are still having to think of of your chord shapes when you change and the mental effort put into your left hand creates hesitation in your right.

Two: You are trying to change chords as you see them in the music, when if fact you have to start changing before, so that your fingers land on the right strings where the chords are shown in the music.

I am afraid that in either case the only answer is practice but rest assured that it will come in time and at six months of playing you can not expect to be playing perfectly. Playing your songs much slower might help and then gradually increase the tempo.

Keep at it, it will be worth it in the end.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi Nedaph.  I'd reccommend using a metronome.  t's something that kinda 'ticks' out a beat to help you play in time.  You can either buy them, or there are ones online..  i use this one here.. http://www.metronomeonline.com/  Click on the little dot on the outter circle, at, i'd say, 44.. that's a nice relaxed slow beat to begin with.  I've only been playing 4 months, & have found this a great help.  smile  Best of luck.

Rachael x

The time to be happy, is NOW !

Freshman acoustic, IbanezGAX70, MarshallMG15cd, Digitech:RP100

Hi Nedaph,

I had a similair problem when I started playing there was a distinct pause in strumming when I was changing chords. I found the easiest way around it was to not play a song but play around with a standard strumming patter DUDUDU and change to chords that I knew well A E G, as I was not needing to think about the chords that I was changing to, my strumming hand didn't pause in anyway. Sounded like crap at times, but I just looked at it as finger exercises.

Give it a try, it becomes easier when your less focused on trying to get a particular song down.

Kirria

this isnt a bad thing
once you get your chord changes correct and fluent your right arm will move naturally
and depending in the song your playing u will develop your own technique to make the song
your own

tom

There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and alcohol!

My thoughts would be that you are just trying too hard. Slow everything down during practice. Don't worry about the song, concentrate only on the chord changes and struming with everything being nice and slow. If you are trying to perfect this while listening to the song being played listen to the words of the song and associate the chord changes with certian word. Also, look at the song, how difficult are the chords for that song? There are thousands of 2 and 3 chord songs out there. Start out simple with an easy chord progression in G,C & D or A, D & E or D, G & A. These are all open chords that are easy. Just use a down / up / down / up / down / up / down / up strum while counting (down =1 and up = and) 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & (change chords here) and repeat. Make up your own pattern as you go and keep practicing. Any of the above patterns can be made into a 12 bar blues progression and thats something that everyone should know. Again, keep it all slow. Your speed will come.

Nela

don't think the devil wont's my soul so i will take all your suggestions and practice just try-ed a bit of finger picking Finlay made a sound that half decent that i can recognize from a tab so i think i practise a bit of both to try and break it up a bit thanks all for the info and suggestions just have to be more patient with my self

A newbie player will break rhythm to check the placement of the fingers on the frets. Gotta maintain rhythm. If you miss a chord change, don't pause or complain, keep the rhythm going and be on time for the next change.
Play it slowly enough to get it smooth, then speed it up via many repetitions to tempo.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Concentrate on skill not on speed.  Speed will come, but will only sound good if skill is also involved.  When you can get to the chords you need to well, THEN you start stringing them together. 

My recommendation, based on not much of anything at all and so can be thrown out like so much chaffe, is to [1] be sure you can get from one chord to the next cleanly, comfortably, and easily.  [2] Then start playing a song with the chords in order, but very, very slowly and only with downstrokes on the "on" beats.  If a waltz-time song, then on 1, 2, and 3, if a common time song on 1, 2, 3, 4.  [3] When you can comfortably and smoothly play chords in the right order on the downbeats of the song with a steady tempo, THEN you can start working in some flourish and more interesting patterns.  To achieve a steady tempo, nothing with ever be as useful to you as playing with a metronome.  It is an indispensable tool for learning steady tempo. 

Hope that helps. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Get your right foot tapping along and play in time to the taps...like playing with a drum.  It'll take a couple of goes to get the feel as it's an extra thing to do....but it works wonders.

Pat

My ambition far exceeds my ability