Topic: What's up with the Cry Baby?

I borrowed the Cry Baby Original from a friend over the weekend, and I have to question why it's worth $70.  What does it do besides one "wah" sound that can barely even be heard on single notes? Is it just this one, or are all Original Cry Babies limited to one sound?

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

2 (edited by Tennessee Strat 2008-09-27 03:32:44)

Re: What's up with the Cry Baby?

Hi 06sc500,
I have an original Crybaby also, and can tell you in all honesty that there much better wah-pedals. Without any means of adjustment, you indeed only get one wah-sound (that's not even very useful or pleasing). Most higher-end wahs have a frequency range potentiometer where you can experiment to get some useful tones, but yes Wah-Wah --that's all you get. Every ten years or so, I must have one... But unless you shell out over $200 it's not worth monkeying with, unless you're a devout Hendrix fan.  In my case, Jimi is the only reason why I'm using a wah pedal.

Re: What's up with the Cry Baby?

The cry baby wah is used for other porposes as well, namely to act as a sort of equalizer when the overdrive or sustain pedals are used in conjuntion with it you can get some nice tones by adjustiing the frequencies when the distortion is engaged with a little delay just by moving the pedal down for more treble or up for more bass smile

06sc500 wrote:

I borrowed the Cry Baby Original from a friend over the weekend, and I have to question why it's worth $70.  What does it do besides one "wah" sound that can barely even be heard on single notes? Is it just this one, or are all Original Cry Babies limited to one sound?

"Growing old is not for sissies"