Topic: Chordie not aimed at bassists, but...

I am a bassist of 20 years, and I have always pretty much learned everything by ear and good ol' tab. I can't sightread, and I don't know even the remote difference between a Bm and Bm#7. I guess as a bassist, you can functionally get through an arrangement knowing the root chords, though knowing the chords and how to interplay on them will work much better(and get you more gigs). I have recently been asked to play bass for an acoustic guitarist doing primarily '70s singer/songwriter material, but a variety of material covering everything from Jim Croce to The Beatles to David Bowie to Led Zeppelin to R.E.M. to Matchbox 20...you get the idea. Well, it's no secret that a lot of this kind of material chases chords all over the place. He(the guitarist), knowing that I can't read, refered me to this site. While I don't know much theory(as stated above), I know my notes on the fretboard, and I can follow this type of chord chart. And that the chord boxes are included helps me to understand what other notes make up that chord, allowing me to drop 5th against the root when and where it tastefully fits. Along with my Tascam CD Bass Trainer, this site has given me the edge I have been in need of for a LONG time!!! Where I could normally learn about 3 to 5 songs in a week's time, the charts provided herer have boosted me to about 7 or 8 songs a week. Thank you, Chordie, for your invaluable tools and service provided here. I now have a binder filled with charts I can actually read, and the acoustic duo will be ready to gig that much quicker.