Topic: Help, I'm writing songs but I can't sing

What to do? Listening to myself isn't just bad, as I thought it would be, it's absolutely awful.  What can I do to learn how to sing better?

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Re: Help, I'm writing songs but I can't sing

Hi 06,

Learning to sing is pretty much the same as the guitar. Practice, practice and more practice. You did not say whether your just do not like the tone of your voice or whether you are singing off key or hitting occasional bad notes. However you are doing right by recording yourself and listening to the results as you can check where you are going wrong. You could be trying to sing in the wrong key for your voice or in a style that does not suit. Maybe some lessons with a vocal coach is the answer.

Biting the bullet and letting someone else listen to your recordings can sometimes throw light on where you are going wrong. You are better getting help from someone close at hand but I am willing, and I am sure that Russ would too, offer advice if we heard a recording of your singing.

Worst case scenario: There are a few people who are completely tone deaf and never actually hit the note that they think that they are singing, but they are very few and far between. A lot of people say they are tone deaf but in reality they are not prepared to put the effort in to sing correctly.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Just keep on doin' it. Everyone out there in music land cringes when they first hear their own voice. Unless you're getting bombarded with vegetables and insults everytime you sing, keep at it. And if the vegetables keep coming, tell the a-holes throwing them what your favourites are............. If you enjoy doing something, keep at it. You'll get better and people will respect you for pursiung your dreams.

Give everything but up.

I agree with Roger and Southpaw keep at it,try and find songs you enjoy singing also seek help from the choir director of your church ask if he is willing to help you a few minutes a week (it never hurts to ask) and I will offer my help anytime with your recording and offer suggestions but never get the idea in your head you cant sing,just sing with the voice thats within you and if they throw vegetables like Southpaw said ask for your favorite lol mine is avacado but its really expensive and if they throw them make sure there ripe and learn to duck lol another suggestion is to submit your lyrics and a rough recording of the melodie and request some help in this forum for singers there is a special page with listings of singers,musicians,and recording gear so use it if you wish(recomended) someone will help you I can promiss that smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I'll keep at it.  I think using a handy little device called the capo might be in order.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Hi 06
I also can't stand my voice and cannot tell if I am in key or not.I have ended up listening to my recordings once a day to become accustomed to my sound.Still not happy with it but that's OK as it is becoming somewhat tolerable.I think I will be using the help from the recording section for any future work.But I will also keep on practicing my vocals.
Hope this helps smile
Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Kenny, I like your voice. Different certainly, but then again so is Rod Stewart's, so don't go beating yourself up about it. Keep practicing and listening to yourself.

We are so used to hearing ourselves internally and not just through our ears that both our spoken and singing voice sounds so different when we hear a recording of ourselves.

This may well be 06's problem too.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi 06sc500
As this has been posted in the recording forum I would like to add my bit...
I also have a problem with my voice when recorded i don't feel comfortable listening to it but there's one thing I've found out when recording.
1st it's best to record the basic song on one track with no vocals.
Then sing along with the basic song on a 2nd track this gives an option of adding reverb/echo etc which can improve a basic recorded voice and also alows a complete deletion and rerecord if required without the loss of the basic song.
Still don't be to hard on yourself voice wise and keep at it.
But if singing not for you then stick to instrumentals  smile

Ark