Topic: Oh boy, it's up, my first full recording

Well, it's rough, as I did it quickly, and my voice isn't anything to bark about, but I recorded my first full-length multi-track song.  I used an acoustic, electric, and a djembe.  My myspace url is www.myspace.com/stephenhooper  Please, feel free to offer constructive criticism and comments.  Don't expect a lot, but please give your opinions.  Thanks, Steve

*** I hope you don't mind I have removed the full stop at the end of your link as it was preventing anyone finding you. Roger ***

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

2 (edited by KAP54 2008-10-14 22:23:40)

Re: Oh boy, it's up, my first full recording

Trying to get through...Bad Link...Would like to hear it.
Thanks
Kenny smile
Did you join as an artist or a myspace member... To be able to post songs you have to join as an artist(band).If you did not join as an artist you will have to rejoin as an artist,this could take 24-48 hrs.
Myspace is confusing and you have to take the time to get familiar to there protocol.
They are WEIRD this way.
I think it sucks but that is just me.
Hope it helps
Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

No I joined as an artist.  The song should automatically start playing when you go on there.

Switchfoot

Sorry 06...Just trying to help.Check into it,something is not right.

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Well done and congratulations on your first recording.

Your voice is not awful as you described it earlier, you did go a little off key when you slid a note at the end of a couple of lines but listening to your self and practice will soon sort that out.

If I may offer a little constuctive criticism, try using a click track while you record (you can remove it when you complete your final mix). This will help you keep the tempo even thoughout the recording. I also think you should keep the rhythm guitar playing throughout the instrumental parts.

On the whole though a sterling effort for your first attemp.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi Steve
I don't know if it my set up or not(myspace is still working out the bugs)but I could only hear parts of your song and then it would cut out sad
Don't be discouraged by this as it is just the system while the bugs are being worked out..
I agree with Roger on the click track as keeping time while recording is tough to do but becomes easier with practice(I'm no Pro...not even in the same country let alone ballpark lol )
Great job for first time out.
Keep at it smile
Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

I think it is myspace kap...same prob on my site....
I thought you did well for your first shot at recording 06sc500 .....i think when you get used to hearing yourself you will loosen up and let go...:)

Thanks a lot guys, I'll work on getting some songs up, and better quality too (without the awkward breaks in tracks).  Yeah, now that I listen to it I think that the solo parts need an acoustic in the background.  I'll be working at this one and some others, some covers too.

Switchfoot

Stephen had a listen to your song,your voice is fine the guitar work is ok to but the mix needs to be improved by tweeking the eq's there should be a distinct difference between your voice and the guitar and the ryhthm as a suggestion get a mediafire account (its free) and upload a separate track for each of the tracks and label them as vocal,guitar,djembe just export each track from audacity as a mp3 that way riddler Roger or me or anyone can remix and adjust the eq's and pan the tracks also if you visit my website and click on the coolchasers link you can pick your own profile design for free and they will install it all you need to give them is your myspace login and password if you need help with that let me know I will be glad to walk you through it.Over all as a first effort it is a good job so keep on going and if you need any help just ask russell smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hi 06sc500, good job on your first multitrack recording. You've done a lot better than I did on several attempts at recording. I agree at all the criticisms mentioned above. Another thing you've got going for you is your tracks sound clear. This is something I struggled with. As Russell mentioned, all you need to do is work on the volumes and panning of your tracks. It's always amazed me how a little panning and volume adjustment can change the whole tune....congrats again and keepem coming. smile

"I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did." Yogi Berra
"It's like deja vu all over again." Yogi Berra
and my personal favorite Yogi Berra quote: "Ninety percent of this game is half mental."

Hi Steve,
You're a fine musician, all around. With this said you'll need to push aside your feelings of inadequacy regarding your vocals and just let it loose. Sing loud, sing proud, and your message will not only be heard at a greater level but it will be felt stronger and deeper to those you are trying to reach. Keep on doin' what you're doin' and you'll be just fine.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Failte Stephen,

Well done you! First recording! I have only 2 things to say. Id like to hear your voice sing your lyrics Clearer.AND

I love the djembe. Great sound.

I hate recording my voice. Never can get it right. Ya did so well.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !