Topic: Muted strumming

Hi im having real trouble with strumming, especially when im trying to mute the strings , strum and stay in time it can be such a mess and i get all cafuddled!! any tips or tricks or practice routines to help would be appreciated  Thanks !!

Don't Cry because it is over...

smile because it happened.    Gabriel García Marquez

Re: Muted strumming

www.justinguitar.com is a great site to learn from ... many of us here have utilized Justin's site ... he'll help you with strum patterns (it's how I learned) ... muting the strings just takes practice, you'll get there

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Agree with LPG, justinguitar is a fantastic site. A specific lesson on muted strumming. Jack Johnson -Times Like These

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/ST-603-T … eThese.php

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I play with alot of muted or pecusive strums. It's one of the best things out there to add some interest or variation to your playing! IMO.. I found this video very helpful when first learning it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaQoq66H … re=related The video is very basic but the strumming technique is very useful and well laid out.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Practice to get the muting right.  Practice with a metronome to get the timing AND the muting right.  I'd wish you good luck, but aside from raw God-given talent, guitar is one of those "make your own luck" things brought about by persistance and practice.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

weedjie wrote:

Hi im having real trouble with strumming, especially when im trying to mute the strings , strum and stay in time it can be such a mess and i get all cafuddled!! any tips or tricks or practice routines to help would be appreciated  Thanks !!

Hi Weedjie,
   I have a few things to add to the fine list of suggestions/links that you've already received.

A wristband on you strumming hand can be useful in string control. Espescially the low E. Gently touch the wristband over the string you wish to mute/deaden.

Use the tips of your fingers on your chording hand to gently touch the unwanted string not to ring out. This may require a slight bending of the wrist to get the muting finger(s) in the proper position to mute.

My final suggestion is taboo in some circles but I'll tell you anyways. Implant  the tip of your pinky finger on the pick guard/ or pick guard area as to form a pivoting center. Use the inner palm of your thumb to mute desired strings. Be aware to remove your pinky when you do not wish to mute. This is a bad habit to get hooked on so use it sparringly.............

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Thanks everyone ill do them all !!

Don't Cry because it is over...

smile because it happened.    Gabriel García Marquez