Topic: Your favorite vacation/holiday spot

Just curious since a lot of us are from different parts of the globe in the forum I was wondering what is everyone's favorite vacation/holiday spot they've been to?

For me, nothing beats going back home to Pennsylvania in the fall

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Re: Your favorite vacation/holiday spot

I'm torn between Scotland and Ireland. The scenery and the sailing is great but the local people in both places are the greatest attraction for me.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Far, deep into the mountains(Blue Ridge, Big Walker, Little Walker, Drapers', Cloyds') of Southwest Virginia, away from all people minus my immediate family. I am a people person but I need extended absensces from people in order to better tolerate them nontheless. There is no better food on this planet than food cooked over an open, outdoor flame, with the possible exception of a big, fat, totally raw chunk of yellow-fin tuna. But there's no tuna in the mountains so that'll have to wait 'til the get-away's over. I'll survive on the stream water, edible plants, and songwriting..........

Give everything but up.

I do want to visit Ireland one day ... when I get stationed in Germany in a few years I'll be sure to make the tripe

I agree SP ... NOTHING beats eating over an open flame in the wild ... I miss it ... eating an MRE over an open flame isnt the same!

Line6 SpiderIII 75

I'm with Southpaw on this. I love the solitude of the mountains! Give me a cabin by a stream with good fishing and my guitar and I'm a happy man. One of my favorite spots though, is a fish camp on the coast of N.C.  It's just a really small fish camp that's often occupied with old timers... They have 8 cabins that go for $20 bucks a day or $25 with AC. You can fish in the river off your back steps and it's some of the best I've found. You canoe, fish, and talk all day and at night there always a fire and a few people sitting around picking and telling stories... Good times! We usually go atleast once a year. It's called Blunts Creek fish camp and is located in Chocawinity about 60 miles north of New Bern (incase any locals are wondering;)). -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

my favourite holiday is in he country I live ( Scotland) So any places to choose from but Jura my yearly long weekend holiday, Skye, Speyside, Kilberry, Beauly, Ullapool. are some of my favourite places.

Outside of Scotland I would say Siberia but I have never been there.

My favourite places I really want to go is Up the Amazon or to Madagascar.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

7 (edited by LesPaulGuy 2008-10-21 16:33:06)

GP I agree ... growing up in the Pocono Mts. in PA was great ... and I miss it constantly

Ken ... have you ventured out into the Scottish Highlands where Bear Gryls did his show on Discovery Channel?  That place was wildd from what I saw ... such serious weather change!

Line6 SpiderIII 75

I also grew up in the Pennsylvania mountains and consider it a good place to be from.  Far from.  I like going back, and I love the country.  But trying to raise a family in that economic climate would be tough to say the least.  Plus, I got beat up a lot until the time I graduated from H.S. I could defend myself better than average.  I don't really want my kids to have that sort of rough and tumble high school years where happiness was dependant upon fitting in with others or having a hard fist.  I have rarely fit in well.  It is a pleasure when I do.  Perhaps one of the reasons I like Chordie so well. 

As far as places I've visited, I am torn between Duck, NC and Port Townsend, WA.  Duck is lovely but is commercializing.  It is not as likely as it once was to take a thermos full of coffee to the beach at 5AM and have it to myself until an hour after sunrise, watching the dolphins migrate north for the day with the pelicans following as a sliver of sun turns the breakers from gray to pink to magenta to white with the clouds overhead following suit. 

Port Townsend, WA.  Friendly people.  Good food.  The best beer I have ever had, and it could be gotten anywhere.  Every pub brewed their own, and each was better than the last no matter what order one used for his stumbling samplage.  (samplage is a word of my own making that is cross between samplings and pilgramage).  They had two comfortable town structures on the waterfront built specifically for fishing.  Kayaks everywhere they couldn't squeeze in sailboats.  A wonderful place.  If I ever win the lottery and have more money than I can spend in a lifetime, I'm going to do the Diamond Jim Brady approach and rent an apartment in one of the several waterfront historic hotels, for which I will call ahead and have them stock it with beer, whiskey, wine, groceries, herbs for cooking fresh fish, and bait prior to my arrival. 

I guess the best place I ever vacation is in my imagination. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I love being by the sea. Not on the sea, but by it. As in some of the lovely old fishing villages around the coast of the UK. Wierd for someone who has no real liking for seafood.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Alvee - I remember going by the White Cliffs of Dover ... very pretty out that way ... I'm pretty sure I ventured over by Portsmouth, Great Yartmouth, Cambridge and Thetford ... I loved the atmosphere in Cambridge ... if I would have known they had a football club I would have went to a few matches

Line6 SpiderIII 75

Eric Johnson has a fantastic instrumental called "Cliffs of Dover."

I spent some time in the Yukon as a younger man and my memories of the mountains,fishing and way of life will stick with me forever.You just can't beat the mountains if you want to relax and wind down.While I was up there I worked in an asbestos mine in a town called Cassiar, in British Columbia right at the B.C.,Yukon border.Smack dab in the middle of the province Surrounded by mountains to the east and west I felt like I was in Gods country.Other then the asbestos mine... I was in heaven.
A close second would have to be Cape Breton Nova Scotia. The land is a lot rougher but has a beauty of its own.The smell of the salt water that pounds on the cliffs and the down to earth way of life is remarkable .I scuba dived there and would go back in a heart beat.
A real close third would be any place that is warm,has salt water a swimup bar and bikinis.
Great question LesPaulGuy.
Thanks for some long forgotten GREAT MEMORIES. smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Ahh for me it's the Highlands of the Cabot Trail in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada. The fishing is fantastic with scenery second to none. Fresh air by the sea, Whales off the coast, great camping and lots of great food. Super hospitality with great kitchen parties.

Badeye  cool

one caper after another

Hi Guys,

I had to chime in on this one, being from North Carolina, and my first memories of life was when we lived deep in the woods, very beautiful and serene, so naturally I loved the mountains of NC, I also love the beach. Some years ago I found a place that offered both, The Islands in the Caribbean, I've been back several times now, it is truly breath-taking. one of my favorite Islands is Tortola in the BVI,  the beach I love there is Cane Garden Bay, lots of live music, if you want it, or places to get away from it all, I also loved ST. Johns in the USVI. I've been to lots of the Islands, but those are my favorites. The people down there are great, very slow paced, interesting and eager to talk.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Seems to be a theme here of wild and windblown places. Northern Ireland isn't quite so high or red in tooth and claw as some of the places you mention. It is, however, relatively free of crowds once you get out of the cities. Three decades of trouble means we don't get the crowds that some parts of the Republic get (I hear that there was some consternation on the ring of Kerry down south last year as people in motorhomes have started using GPS to navigate. In Kerry the quick way is not the way to go - you have to follow the signs that the locals have put up otherwise it ends up in gridlock !).

Two places I love are less than an hour and a half from Belfast - Fermanagh and the Glens of Antrim.

Fermanagh has wonderful Lough Erne with hundreds of islands, the best fishing in Europe outside of Northern Sweden and thousands of years of history to discover. Here's a fishing map

http://www.fermanagh.gov.uk/index.cfm?w … ge_Key=334

If you look at the southern shore of the lower Lough you'll see a green area called Navar. Drive up there late on a summer evening and watch the sun dip red into the golden atlantic ( next stop New Foundland ?), You'll see the Hills of Donegal, the Erne flowing to the ocean, the Sligo Mountains and the Lough itself laid out like this map below you.

The Glens of Antrim is somewhere you are not allowed to visit. We already have sufficient tourist to this glorious landscape. Each of the Glens have their own story reaching back into pre-history, each of them is a jewel. See for yourself - http://www.northantrim.com/theglensofantrim.htm .
From Torr Head you can see Upyerkilt in Scotland and half the Hebrides including the Paps of Jura.

Somewhere you are not allow to visit under pain of a hangover is Johnny Joe's in Cushendall - wonderful real ( yes, real - not a phony-franchise ) Irish pub with sessions on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. Check out the village - http://www.northantrim.com/cushendall.htm .

I could tell you how beautiful Layde Church is, but I won't ;

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

My Great Grandfather was from Banbridge, quite near Belfast I think. He left for Scotland around 1900 or so. I hope to make it over sometime to connect with my Irish roots.

LespaulGuy,

What have you started ? I have so many places . I fall in love easily with the places i visit.

But Ireland my home place is always  top of my list. Our people reach out like lovers arms to welcome you. Always happy to meet and greet.
Heres a few i really loved.

http://www.mournemountains.com/attractions.htm

http://www.northantrim.com/giantscauseway.htm

Whale watching in Teneriffe { off the coast of Africa. I went here every year for 15 years.

Cape Cod. { Boston being my favourite City to visit and shop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHXBS0hBTAI  { I visited here this year. So unspoilt. Beautiful

Amsterdam. Ive been loads of times as my Sister lives there. Such a great city to visit. Colourful to say the least.

My all abiding memories are of taking my sons for a month every year to spain. The 3 of us would head off on this great adventure. I seen them change from Boys to Men. Hormones raging, which led to holiday romances and tears when we had to leave. They did a lot of growing up in these times and i was glad to be there to see it. Difficult as it was sometimes.

Ps. This is the smallest city in the world. I visited this year. Its called " Hum"
http://www.croatia-travel-guide.com/en/Hum

Long winded as always,
Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Alvee,

Banbridge is, as we say, but a spit down the road. Your family must have sung this

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.u … p;id=76674 .

19 (edited by LesPaulGuy 2008-10-22 13:57:19)

All these places in Ireland and Scotland makes me wish I still lived in England ... at least then it would have been cheap for me to take a road trip up north or hop on a plane and cross the pond to Ireland ... the pictures of the old homes and buildings reminds me of places in England that I visited

I have Irish roots on my fathers side and we traced them back to west/central Ireland if I remember correctly ... then again, my Dad also said we had roots in Scotland as well so who knows!

I'm glad I could bring back memories for everyone ... it's nice to go off the beaten path and reminisce smile

Here's a link from the Poconos in Pennsylvania if you'd like to take a look if you ever visit the U.S.

http://www.800poconos.com/

Line6 SpiderIII 75

alansheeran wrote:

Alvee,

Banbridge is, as we say, but a spit down the road. Your family must have sung this

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.u … p;id=76674 .

Many thanks for that, Alan. My next project begins.....

LesPaulGuy wrote:

Ken ... have you ventured out into the Scottish Highlands where Bear Gryls did his show on Discovery Channel?  That place was wildd from what I saw ... such serious weather change!

yep, that was up in the cairngorm mountains. Not just there where the weather changes so quickly, it is probably anywhere north of glasgow that does that, but up there it can get quite bad ( or good depending on how you look at it. I love getting snowed in )
He made it out to be  bit worse than it actually is though for people that know what they are doing, but if he is doing it for the silly people thatgo not equiped properly for certain times of the year then he would be not fr off from being right.
It is lovely up thereand quite a few bothies dotted about, if you know where they are then you are never far away from shelter.
But I love watching him.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

That's one of my favorite shows to watch and that particular show in Scotland was great ... I didnt realize the weather was so dramatic up that far!  I never went up to Edinburgh for New Years like a lot of young military people did when I was stationed in England ... but every one of them said they had a blast up there

Line6 SpiderIII 75

LesPaulGuy,

Those Poconos look like they need some serious checking out !

We have plenty of Timothys in Ireland - Not too many LesPaulGuys !

I'll bow to the superior knowledge of our Scottish friends, but I thought that Hogmanay in Edinburgh came with a serious health warning.

I mentioned Johnny Joe's in Cushendall in a post above. For anyone in the UK you can see the place on Blas Ceoil on BBC I Player. The whole programme is recorded in the pub.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 … Episode_2/

Alan

Yeah the Poconos are beautiful ... but best seasons are in the fall (October-November) ... the mountains and valleys are incredible and there are so many lakes and streams it's unreal

Texas isn't the same that's for sure!

Line6 SpiderIII 75